Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Troubleshooting

#1   IP: 69.136.35.230
Old 06-16-2013, 03:11 PM

Engine dies then starts quickly PLUS a battery issue

I'm having an issue, well two really, on my Tartan 30's Atomic 4. The first problem is the engine quitting after about 5 minutes in gear, then it restarts quickly and goes on without much of a problem. We're going down the ICW a little ways right now. The engine has been going for hours every day, but EVERY DAY it has done this. Usually it just stops the one time about 5-10 minutes after leaving the dock or anchorage. I can let the engine idle for as long as I want and it doesn't quit then (of course). One other time it stopped after motoring for almost six hours but started right back up as well. Primarily the issue is at the 5-10 minute mark.

The other problem is with the battery or alternator. After two days at anchor (we do have a solar panel and it was a sunny day) I noticed the battery was draining quickly and not charging back up at the normal rate. We were going to stay anchored for a few days so we monitored our battery usage closely but even with everything unplugged, it was draining. Went to start the engine and it drained to 7volts and wouldn't turn over. It was a really sunny day, so we let it sit for awhile until the voltage got back up. Finally got it cranked. Then as per usual the engine died after five minutes. No sputtering, it's just like someone turned the key off. Since our battery was being wonky, it wouldn't start back up but drained the battery back down when we tried to crank it. We were close to a marina so they towed us there and we're trying to do some problem solving. We plugged into shore power and the battery is still charging very slowly.

Any thoughts on whether things could be related? Or just have a bad battery or alternator and then a different engine issue (which is my thought).
  #2   IP: 107.0.6.243
Old 06-16-2013, 10:15 PM
Afourian MVP

Talking

Sounds like trouble with the alternator. If it was warm, engine not running, that tells you power is being lost at the output terminal most likely caused by faulty diode rectifier. Even plugged in at the dock you can feel the alternator and regulator to check for warmth. If you have an ammeter it should tell you the same thing if you switch off the shore power.