X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GEM555
    • Apr 2014

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
    Please forgive me but this is the bias that in my opinion is working against you, one of the different factors mentioned in my previous post. The members of this forum, successful Atomic 4 owners all, have varying mechanical skills. Some are experts, some are less than expert and some came here with zero experience (to me that means no bad habits either). The more able of us are eager to help, teach if you will, the lesser able. The more they do, the better their skill repertoire grows over time.

As for If I truly thought I couldn't really "break things worse" maybe I'd take a serious lash at it, considering what you have reported to us, I don't see the risk. Using your own term, how much damage can you inflict on a paperweight? I think you're selling yourself short but frankly I've thought that all along. Said another way, I think we have more faith in you than you do. However, for there to be any hope of success we need to speak with someone who knows this is fixable and your comments thus far don't support that. It's the reason we are looking forward to working with your mechanic.
    Ok, well, onward! ...and let's see where this goes.

Comment

• ndutton
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

121 posts and zero progress. Has to be some kind of record. We'll see indeed.
      Neil
      1977 Catalina 30
      San Pedro, California
      prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
      Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
        Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
        • Nov 2008

Originally posted by GEM555 View Post
        Ok, well, onward! ...and let's see where this goes.
        Let's start a new thread if and when the mechanic gets involved.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• roadnsky
          Afourian MVP
          • Dec 2008

WOW! I'm gone for a few days and this thread explodes.

...Inside was plugged with rust and nothing but rust. But the real killer was the plate itself (so I was told).
          My 40 year old ('79) engine has been in fresh water (raw water cooled) for most of it's life.
          When I first got the boat, my side plate and bolts were rusty and the cooling passages gummed up. (see pics)
          A little bit of elbow grease and a vinegar soak later it looked almost new.
          I chose to replace the side plate rather than use the old one but if I wanted to save some money I'm sure I could have cleaned it up too.

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
          The members of this forum, successful Atomic 4 owners all, have varying mechanical skills. Some are experts, some are less than expert and some came here with zero experience...
          I was one of the guys with ZERO experience and definitely NOT a mechanic.

GEM-
          PLEASE, as Neil and others have asked, have your Mechanic friend join us on this forum.
          IF he does, and is as willing to be as helpful as you say he is...
          then you WILL get some solution and relief and more likely WILL get a running engine.
          Attached Files
          -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
          sigpic
          1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• joe_db
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2009

"Winterizing" is a fact of life in these climes. So yes. We understand that. I have the engine winterized each year.

I apologize for beating up on your engine. We did not realize that you have to be a skilled mechanic to own one, that's all.

Please understand: I am in a business where people are forever sticking their hands in when they don't really know what they are doing. 98% of the time they do nothing more than make the knot tighter and harder for me and my team to finally untie. This lesson (re-learned every business day) leads me to keep my hands OFF the engine because I don't have a friggin clue. I have one diagnostic skill: call the mechanic. If I truly thought I couldn't really "break things worse" maybe I'd take a serious lash at it.
            What is your business? This might be a frame of reference for us.
            Also:
            Who decided the first engine was beyond repair?
            Who found the "rust" inside of it?
            Who went to Long Island to look at the second engine?
            What tests were done on it before installation?
            How long has all this been going on?

Note my business is IT and flying airplanes. I never went to mechanic school. Long ago I realized that with my lack of millionaire cash and appetite for expensive toys, I was going to have to fix them myself or not have them.
            Joe Della Barba
            Coquina
            C&C 35 MK I
            Maryland USA

Comment

• wristwister
              • Nov 2013

We did not realize that you have to be a skilled mechanic to own one
              Here, let me fix that for you:

We did not realize that you have to be willing to learn some basic mechanics to own an older sailboat with any inboard engine.
              "A ship in the harbor is safe ... but that's not what ships are built for.

Comment

• GregH
                Afourian MVP
                • Jun 2015

I truly hope the mechanic joins us and Gem can follow along to learn at the little things, the one small step at a time things that lead to a solution.

Not knowing any details of course, if what gem said about the engine running well in the shop during a winter working on it and if nothing changed, then the ancillary aspects would become paramount focus to check in the scheme of things, no?
                Greg
                1975 Alberg 30
                sigpic

Comment

• ndutton
                  Afourian MVP
                  • May 2009

Originally posted by GregH View Post
                  Not knowing any details of course, if what gem said about the engine running well in the shop during a winter working on it and if nothing changed, then the ancillary aspects would become paramount focus to check in the scheme of things, no?
                  Since we know nothing of this engine I think the very first thing to be done is a cooling system pressure test. We may as well know we have a viable block and manifold before spending a second or a dime on it.
                  Neil
                  1977 Catalina 30
                  San Pedro, California
                  prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                  Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• joe_db
                    Afourian MVP
                    • May 2009

Well here you go!
                    Joe Della Barba
                    Coquina