X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sdemore
    • Nov 2016

Steve on the Chesapeake

I just adopted a '73 C&C 30, that started a rehab project 3 years ago and has just sat there since. The boat isn't bad, but the Atomic 4 engine was in pieces in another boat, a couple of sheds, and the old owner's basement. I think I have enough for a full engine, with extra heads exhaust manifolds, several alternators, a couple of transmissions, etc, etc. Now I need t find an inventory list and hopefully, a good overhaul manual.

Can anybody tell me whether the little spiral overhaul manual on here is worth the $47?

Thanks,
    Steve
    Steve Demore
    S/V Doin' It Right
    Pasadena, MD
    sigpic
  • joe_db
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

YES
    BTW - get on the C&C list for non-engine stuff.
    C&C 35 MK I

Originally posted by sdemore View Post
    I just adopted a '73 C&C 30, that started a rehab project 3 years ago and has just sat there since. The boat isn't bad, but the Atomic 4 engine was in pieces in another boat, a couple of sheds, and the old owner's basement. I think I have enough for a full engine, with extra heads exhaust manifolds, several alternators, a couple of transmissions, etc, etc. Now I need t find an inventory list and hopefully, a good overhaul manual.

Can anybody tell me whether the little spiral overhaul manual on here is worth the $47?

Thanks,
    Steve
    Joe Della Barba
    Coquina
    C&C 35 MK I
    Maryland USA

Comment

• sdemore
      • Nov 2016

Thanks Joe!
      Last edited by sdemore; 11-15-2016, 11:02 PM.
      Steve Demore
      S/V Doin' It Right
      Pasadena, MD
      sigpic

Comment

• Al Schober
        Afourian MVP
        • Jul 2009

Steve,
        Buy the Moyer Manual. If it saves you an hour of a mechanics time, it's paid for.
        Before you get too deep into the engine, have a good machine shop go over the block. If the block turns out later to have a crack or other fault, any investment of time or money will be wasted.

Comment

• TomG
          Afourian MVP Emeritus
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by sdemore View Post
          It depends on what your time is worth I suppose. I have two copies of the MMI Manual - one for the boat and one for the house. It's that essential to A-4 ownership in my opinion. I would rather try to rebuild an A-4 with one hand tied behind my back than without the MMI Manual.

Congrats on the new boat and welcome to the forum!
          Tom
          "Patina"
          1977 Tartan 30
          Repowered with MMI A-4 2008

Comment

• sastanley
            Afourian MVP
            • Sep 2008

Hey Steve,
            Another welcome from another Chesapeaker.

I was lucky..my new-to-me boat a few years back came with a Moyer Manual..heavily greased in the head area (been off several times before I owned it.)

It is what led me to this forum and the equally invaluable information it provides.
            -Shawn
            "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
            "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X