Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Fuel System

#1   IP: 76.106.6.207
Old 01-18-2010, 11:46 AM
Afourian MVP

Questions about Racor filter

I put a Racor filter on my fuel system three years ago. I don't use the engine a whole lot, just to push myself out of the slip and Rock Creek and into the Patapsco River, so I doubt I put more than 30 hours a year on the engine. I keep the fuel topped up and always add MMO and Sta-Bil to the mix.

I've got two questions. First, at the rate I use the engine, is draining the filter just at the beginning of the season enough? I've never had problems with fuel delivery, but just because something bad hasn't happened yet doesn't mean that nothing bad ever will.

Second, when should I consider replacing the filter element? I have no clue as to how a water-separating filter like the Racor works, so it's a black box to me. Since I have the solid metal filter I can't see any water buildup, and I'd hate to let it go too long. As part of this question, is the filter media just a regular filter, or does it have water-trapping features as well?

Thanks for the help!
  #2   IP: 71.118.13.238
Old 01-18-2010, 12:38 PM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

Thanked 1,289 Times in 839 Posts
Wink Racor

Baltimore, yes it is just a basic filter element and due to the fuel flow directions in the cannister to slow the speed of the fuel allowing the water which is heavier settle out, gravity works. Just as it does in your fuel tank. You should replace the element periodically and drain the contents into a bowl SS prefered since it is easy to "SEE" the water in the bottom of the bowl. A tiny bit is almost normal however if you find a bunch consider evacuating the bottom of your fuel tank.

Dave Neptune
  #3   IP: 38.102.16.210
Old 01-18-2010, 01:36 PM
MMI Webmaster

Whether you replace the element or not, it might be useful to remove it, pour the contents into a clear jar and look for any sign of phase separation suggesting water in the tank.

If you don't see any sign of phase separation, deliberately add a bit of water to the jar and then look for that separation. You might be looking at a jar full of water and not know the difference.

Don't ask me how I know this...

Bill
  #4   IP: 76.106.6.207
Old 01-18-2010, 02:08 PM
Afourian MVP

Wouldn't just draining the contents via the removable plug on the bottom of the element give the same result? Isn't that where the water should be gathering, if there is any?
  #5   IP: 71.118.13.238
Old 01-18-2010, 02:21 PM

Question Oops!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill, I know how you know this. My experience was I made it about a mile off the island and she died. I kept trying to restart as I had fuel pressure and spark, she would sputter and fuss then die each time getting worse. It had rained for a couple of days really hard at the island while sitting on my mooring and my "cockpit filler cap had lost it's O-ring", I removed about two gallons with the fuel bail on my pump then sucked a little off the bottom of the tank. I was on my way in about an hour and a half after drifting with the blower going and the hatches open, somehow a few beers disappeared from the ice box as well.

Dave Neptune
  #6   IP: 71.118.13.238
Old 01-18-2010, 02:28 PM

Thumbs up The plug!

Baltimore, yeh that will work, but it is a good practice to open up the filter to see what it has been trapping as well a separating the water. As I stated a tiny bit is not uncommon but if there is a bunch the tank could be sluffing off caked on debri from the rust getting under it as well as rust. Good to KNOW what is inside if you find water. I check mine from time to time and as I have stated in other posts I drain the bottom of my tank every other year or so.

Dave Neptune
  #7   IP: 206.125.176.3
Old 01-18-2010, 02:47 PM
Afourian MVP

Exclamation

BS...thanks for posting this. I just bought a Racor last year and haven't drained it yet...I also have a new tank and fuel lines.

Unfortunately now, my drain bolt doesn't want to come loose..I am afraid I might rip a hole in the fiberglass where I have the filter mounted

I am probably gonna have to remove the whole filter assembly from the top and see if I can get the drain bolt loose on a workbench.
"Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
"Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic3231_6.gif
  #8   IP: 76.106.6.207
Old 01-18-2010, 03:25 PM
Afourian MVP

My drain bolt was on real tight too when I first checked it. I reversed a strap wrench on the filter body so that I could apply opposite torque on the drain bolt. It was a battle, but I won without ripping the filter off the bulkhead.

Dave, I'll check the filter contents as soon as I get a chance.
  #9   IP: 38.102.16.210
Old 01-18-2010, 05:40 PM
MMI Webmaster

Interesting stuff about how tightly the Racors are assembled...

A couple of years ago, I tried to separate the filter element from the mounting bracket of a brand new Racor filter/separator before installing it. 'Twas not to be done. I ended up destroying the element in the process, and wasn't even sure that would work. It was like the two parts were glued together. I don't like to think about what I would have had to do if the unit had been installed as purchased.

Bill
  #10   IP: 76.106.6.207
Old 01-18-2010, 06:49 PM
Afourian MVP

Oh crap, don't say that. I haven't yet tried to remove the element on mine.

I suppose if worse comes to worst I can just remove it from the bulkhead, take it home and put it in my vise and get it off. Or, maybe just drive over to the nearby marine parts place and ask them to do it. They've separated "sticky" fittings for me before.
  #11   IP: 71.171.225.134
Old 01-18-2010, 07:33 PM

Racor Filter

I agree with Baltimore Sailor: oh Crap ! I could have gone all winter without knowing about this problem. I just installed a new Racor unit last season, and of course, I didn't separate the filter from the body or open the drain before I installed it.
Thanks guys, now I have something to add to my 'worry list'.

Mike
  #12   IP: 142.68.242.13
Old 01-19-2010, 04:37 AM
Afourian MVP

Those things can be pesky all right. I installed one before last summer to replace a funky old filter. In the fall, I removed the filter element with some difficulty and have it on the work bench. Reminds me that I need to take the opportunity to carefully loosen that drain plug before I reinstall it.
  #13   IP: 206.125.176.3
Old 01-19-2010, 09:04 AM
Afourian MVP

If I recall, the drain plug is tapered. I guess it gets sticky over time.

Last summer (my Racor unit was new in May) I did drain it once, and now realize I must have re-installed the drain plug too tight..I also have not attempted to remove the filter itself yet. Once I get the fuel out thru the drain, I'll probably remove the whole thing and take it home to the workbench.

BS - thanks for the tip on reverse wrenching with a filter wrench..I actually bought a cheap one the proper size for the Racor and store it on board with the spare element.
"Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
"Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic3231_6.gif