Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Troubleshooting

#1   IP: 24.189.39.156
Old 09-29-2009, 10:42 PM

rough running, put in gear and stalls.

This summer I bought a salvage boat with an atomic 4. It had not been run for a while, but I was told that it ran. and it did. I don't know how long it has been on the blocks. out of the water. After fixing the structure of the boat I pumped out the bottom of the tank and added 10 gallons. The engine ran fine. I put it on the mooring. Then my problems began. I could not get the engine to start. I started with the fuel filter. I changed the fuel filter. Then the engine would not start. I had closed the in line fuel on-off switch to change the filter. and when I checked the fuel supply fuel was not going through the switch when on or off. I changed the fuel line and on off switch.
Engine started but running rough. Pumped the tank. cleaned the carburetor. changed the points, plugs, condenser, distributor cap, tried again. backfired through the carburetor. Checked the points, regapped the plugs still missing. Put it in gear and the engine sputters and dies. I am not sure whether I have got enough foul fuel from the tank. or it I goofed up the carburetor when I took it off to clean it or what.
  #2   IP: 71.118.13.238
Old 09-30-2009, 01:47 PM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

Thanked 1,289 Times in 839 Posts
Red face Oh Boy

weremeer, you could have easily shook a lot of stuff loose and contaminated the filters and or carb. If you have a filter inspect it closely if possible or try blowing through itYECH use a short hose piece. If the engine has the mechanical fuel pump there is a filter of sorts held on with a bail/screw set up. Be careful of remounting so you don't pinch the ring seal.

Since you did a tune up check the plug wires for firing order. (spitting back through the carb)

Check under the oil filler cap for moisture. AND check the oil for water possibly emulsified into the mix. Moisture can reak havoc on starting.

Be sure the choke is working properly, it needs to be completely closed to start easily, just the nature of an "up-draft" carb.

It ran before so it's probably something basic.

Dave Neptune
  #3   IP: 66.126.90.242
Old 09-30-2009, 03:56 PM

Don't forget to check your timing! Your symptoms can also be indicative of poor timing. Make sure the engine is properly set at TDC prior to your next starting attempt and then, if it starts, you can fine tune the timing from there.