Good Guy in San Diego to install rebuilt engine.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • guylogan
    • May 2011

Good Guy in San Diego to install rebuilt engine.

I'm giving up and plan on buying a exchange engine from MMI, will need to find a yard or shop to do the swap. I have worked with both Shelter Island Boat yard and with Driscol and found both great for haul out but have not had any yard work done on engine. Any comments woul be appreciated.

Guy Logan

guylogan@The-ranch.net
  • jpian0923
    Afourian MVP
    • Sep 2010

I'm almost tempted to throw my hat in the ring but I'm not a pro.
    Also, I have no experience with boat yards yet.
    Get some quotes and report back. I'd be interested in what they have to say.
    What kind of boat do you have and where are you docked?
    "Jim"
    S/V "Ahoi"
    1967 Islander 29
    Harbor Island, San Diego
    2/7/67 A4 Engine Block date

Comment

• roadnsky
      Afourian MVP
      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by guylogan View Post
      I'm giving up and plan on buying a exchange engine from MMI, will need to find a yard or shop to do the swap. I have worked with both Shelter Island Boat yard and with Driscol and found both great for haul out but have not had any yard work done on engine. Any comments woul be appreciated.

Guy Logan

guylogan@The-ranch.net
      Can't actually give you a recommendation but just had to comment...

Worked for 2 years at Driscol's when I was an 18 year old snot nosed surf rat.
      Learned most of what I know about sailboats in that yard.
      Man, the memories and how the years do fly by...

Might give my vote to Driscols just for nostalgia.
      -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
      sigpic
      1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• Dave Neptune
        Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
        • Jan 2007

Removing engine + beer?

Guy, I am a bit of a helpful gut and on more than one occasion I have assisted with removing a small auxillary. Done two small diesels this way an A-4 and a Palmer.
        Walking down the dock "a guy" had a sign out once and just asking for help, on other occasions they just asked and offered the beer. The time I helped with an A-4 took about a half hour. The guy had the engine stripped a bit and ready to "lift" then set out the beer and offered it up for a bit of help. He got 5 guys to help out and we literally hand lifted the engine out and onto a cart. The engine was rigged to the boom and set up quite nicely. The lifting stuff he set up was used as a bit of a safety line as we did literally just manhandle it out! It did take us a bit of time to get 5~6 lines around the engine secured for hand holds though and that was the hardest part!

Dave Neptune

Comment

• lat 64
          Afourian MVP
          • Oct 2008

Guy,
          I just responded to your PM.
          Dave is right, it 'aint so bad as all that. The C36 is actually easy to yank the engine from. It helps to be a smaller person though.
          I'm poor, so I did it all myself. If you got the dosh for yard work though, great.

Dave,
          these forum threads have some pics of the engine removal/replace: (you have some cameo appearances there!)

Back to the boat:

Russ
          Last edited by lat 64; 02-19-2014, 01:56 PM.
          sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

• lat 64
            Afourian MVP
            • Oct 2008

Say, I haven't' been to San Diego since about '03.

You pick me up at the airport, We fill the dink with beer, head out to the boat, and hang for about a week sailing off the mooring and doing engine stuff.

Sorry, I just get imaginative every so often.
            Back to work.

Russ

Comment

• guylogan
              • May 2011

still making a plan

Thanks for the comments, I went down to Shelter Island Boat yard yesterday and talked to Steve Hoffman of Hoffman Marine. I didn’t think he would do it but I thought he would give me a decent referral, after I told him I was planning on doing a streight swap he asked his crew would they like to do an engine swap they shook there heads NO and said yes , so Steve said ya we can do it. I was pleased since I consider these guys Definite Good Guys. I diden’t get a dollar quote but I know his pricing is always fair, When I asked how long he said easily in one day with out a haul out. If I wasn't on a mooring ball I would loveto try it myself but I am pleased that they would do it.

Comment

• jpian0923
                Afourian MVP
                • Sep 2010

Guy, I'm happy for you and yet slightly disappointed I didn't get to help.
                Russ, Laurel street mooring is walking distance from the airport.
                Guy, If you change your mind, I was thinking, If Russ still wants to see San Diego again, we could all pile into my boat, with your new engine, raft-up, and get her done in a day or two. I have all the tools necessary. Dave is welcome too.
                "Jim"
                S/V "Ahoi"
                1967 Islander 29
                Harbor Island, San Diego

Comment

• lat 64
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Oct 2008

I was blowing smoke. I can't even pay for new rigging, much less waltz off to S.D. to "git er done"

Would love to though. That would be the coolest Forum raft up ever!
                  And…
                  wait for it…
                  They have Stone Brewery there. OMG! Arrogant Bastard Ale

I sent Guy some photos of how I cut an access hatch to the rear part of my engine compartment. We got the same boat, see.

Guy, If you have it r&r'd by a yard, see if you can get some fun photos for us.

Russ

Comment

• jpian0923
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Sep 2010

Russ, I know, just trying to help you dream. Isn't that what life's about?!

But Guy, my offer still stands.

My concern is the "straight swap" thing. Is everything else sound enough for a straight swap? I mean, the exhaust system, the mounting rails, the through hull...etc.

I just spent 3 plus months replacing my broken propeller shaft . I thought it was going to be a straight swap...one thing leads to another!

Anyway, I'm available if "one thing leads to another".
                    "Jim"
                    S/V "Ahoi"
                    1967 Islander 29
                    Harbor Island, San Diego

Comment

• lat 64
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Oct 2008

Re. unforeseen expenditures

Here's a logo for all you boat owners
                      Attached Files

Comment

• guylogan
                        • May 2011

Jim where is your boat on Harbor Island. I have a Coronado 25 at Harbor Island West #333. mabey we can get to gether some time.

Russ I have the diagram where the engine compartment was cut, I'm going down tommorrow to see if that is possible on "No Tanks". I have done the remove the starter and alternator to shimmy in to change the water pump but my port side is more congested with a battery on that side also along with the fuel pump, fuel filters and a Fire bottle system. I had a heck of a time removing the manifold especially disconecting the exhaust, ended up pulling the hot section with the manifold. If I can do the cut thing it should give me aplace to put the heat exchanger and be able to service it.

Guy

Comment

• sglazebrook
                          • Mar 2013

Hi Neighbor

Jim where is your boat on Harbor Island. I have a Coronado 25 at Harbor Island West #333. mabey we can get to gether some time.
                          Hi Neighbor! I've got the Coronado 30 across from you in 330.
                          Scott

Comment

• lat 64
                            Afourian MVP
                            • Oct 2008

Russ I have the diagram where the engine compartment was cut, I'm going down tommorrow to see if that is possible on "No Tanks". I have done the remove the starter and alternator to shimmy in to change the water pump but my port side is more congested with a battery on that side also along with the fuel pump, fuel filters and a Fire bottle system. I had a heck of a time removing the manifold especially disconecting the exhaust, ended up pulling the hot section with the manifold. If I can do the cut thing it should give me aplace to put the heat exchanger and be able to service it.

Guy
                            it took me quite a while to make mine because I was trying to do the least harm and not have a crappy-looking job of it. Plan on how you would make hinges and clasps to re-close it in a ship-like manner. I used a hand saw and a little cordless jigsaw. It took a few beers. Go slow and methodical.
                            looks like your making friends down there.

Russ
                            Last edited by lat 64; 02-24-2014, 02:15 PM.

Comment

• sglazebrook
                              • Mar 2013

Good Guy in San Diego

I've had a little help from Ryan at Dockside Mobile Marine - Ryan is a nice guy, priced right, and right on time and budget. Here is his Yelp page: http://www.yelp.com/biz/dockside-mob...vice-san-diego

Since finding this site I've taken to doing my own work, building confidence, and making some improvements and not just "maintaining" my Atomic 4. But, if I needed a second set of hand I wouldn't hesitate to call Ryan.

And, I'm down at my boat just about every Saturday for the foreseeable future working on some electrical upgrades, engine upgrades, new bilge pump, and a few random cosmetic fixes - stop by if you are around! If you need an extra hand and I can help I would be happy to do so (there are also some other very Atomic 4 knowledgeable folks on our dock, too).
                              Scott

Comment

Working...
                              X