• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ndutton
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

Spinnaker sock

This category looked so sad with no threads so why not ask away?

I'm looking for a spinnaker sock to fit my Catalina 30 standard rig. The only three requirements are that it fits, it works and it's cheeeeep.
    Neil
    1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others
  • msmith10
    Afourian MVP
    • Jun 2006

I've used a Chutescoop for several years. They're significantly cheaper than other brands and work well. There's a 34' one brand new on eBay now for $195 which is too high considering it's about $235 from the mfgr. You can go to their website to see what's available and check a price so you know what's reasonable. Google Chutescoop.
    If you find a used one for sale they'd be easy to shorten, but you couldn't lengthen one easily.
    Mark Smith
    1977 c&c30 Mk1 hailing from Port Clinton, Ohio

Comment

• sastanley
      Afourian MVP
      • Sep 2008

Neil, I have a genuine "Chutescoop" available...we can talk offline if you'd like, but I don't mind the discussion here amongst friends.

I need to 'clean & deodorize' it first..it was sitting in the boat a long time & smells musty, but is otherwise in good working order. My Dad swears by it, but I've cruised long enough without one that I've removed it from my spinnaker on this boat.

We can discuss a 'reasonable' fee...maybe I'll give you a phone number to call in a small gift certificate to the local liquor store or something....or maybe you can send me something cool from Minney's!!

Incidentally, the manufacturer and patent holder of the Chutescoop name is a member of our sailing club..the advertisements in the magazines featured my old man on the foredeck of the Seidelmann 37 when the marketing shots were taken. Not everything cool happened on the West Coast!!
      Last edited by sastanley; 11-17-2011, 09:35 PM.
      -Shawn
      "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
      "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
      sigpic

Comment

• ndutton
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

Great Shawn. We'll discuss it off-list. Wouldn't want the gang to realize how much worse an arse I am beyond my forum personna.

Speaking of advertising pictures, the guy with his back to us in the dark blue shirt in this Fleming steering vane advert is an all too frequent poster on this forum. I happen to know he personally installed the vane as well as did the fiberglass touch-up and re-gelcoating on the transom from a previous davit installation.
        Neil
        1977 Catalina 30
        San Pedro, California

Comment

• Persistence
          Frequent Contributor
          • Nov 2011

Spinnaker

It funny/strange - I was thinking about the same thing Neil. I think I mentioned in one of these threads that one of my fellow Club members (Tsa La Gi Yacht Club) located and bought a Spinnaker for 'Persistence' at a garage sale the other day. Now I have to rig a halyard and get the rest of the stuff to actually use the thing. One of the things I was thinking of was a sleeve or chute for it - and look here - you are talking about it online. If you come up with more than one - let me know - thx. Dave
          Dave Spellman
          "Persistence"
          1976 Catalina 30
          Hull # 488

Comment

• ndutton
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2009

That's how it is around here Dave. You never know what's going to pop up.

I looked at the Chutescoop on Mark's recommendation and was impressed. Shawn piped in and things are progressing. Ain't this forum great?
            Neil
            1977 Catalina 30
            San Pedro, California

Comment

• Bingy
              • Sep 2011

Spinnaker sock available off a Ranger 30 .Location near Windsor Ontario.
              Last edited by Bingy; 11-18-2011, 10:19 AM.

Comment

• roadnsky
                Afourian MVP
                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Bingy View Post
                Spinnaker sock available off a Ranger 30 .Location near Windsor Ontario.
                Bingy-
                PM me here on this site and we can chat.
                I might be interested.

There are a couple of other Ranger owners here too, so it might take a little bit for them to chime in.
                policecentral and charles@pricefarrington.c are two that come to mind right off hand...
                -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
                sigpic
                1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• domenic
                  • Jul 2010

I have a spinnaker and pole for sale. Never had it out of the bag. It came with my Columbia 28.
                  I'll lay it out and see what condition it's in. If it;s good I'll sell both for $150+ shipping. The guy I bought the boat from never used it.

Comment

• Mo
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Jun 2007

Shawn / Neil,
                    I have one and it was smelling musty...last year I took it apart and threw it in the washer....turned out fine. I will suggest take a digital pic before you take the scoop end off...I did trial and error to get it back together properly again. Fairly straight forward, but I hardly use it....there have been times it took me 1/2 hour to sort out my A-kite and get it to fly....not my strong suit but I have finally figured out how to run the sheets. Unrealthe mess I get myself into sometimes.
                    Mo

"Odyssey"
                    1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
                    The optimist expects it to change.
                    The realist adjusts the sails.
                    ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• ndutton
                      Afourian MVP
                      • May 2009

Thanks Mo. Shawn made a concerted effort to remedy the stank before he shipped it and I have to say he did a pretty good job. It resides in my quarter berth with no perceptible smell.

I've flown it a couple of times with excellent results. Next weekend will be the first time I'll use it for the intended purpose though. It's a beam to broad reach home from Catalina with normally light summer conditions so the drifter/blooper/asymm or whatever you want to call it will be flying for 4 hours plus.
                      Neil
                      1977 Catalina 30
                      San Pedro, California

Comment

• Bingy
                        • Sep 2011

my spinnaker sock sold on Sailing Anarchy site by my sailmaker.

Comment

• wmmulvey
                          • Apr 2011

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
                          This category looked so sad with no threads so why not ask away?

I'm looking for a spinnaker sock to fit my Catalina 30 standard rig. The only three requirements are that it fits, it works and it's cheeeeep.
                          Neil,

I had one on my MacGregor 24 and transfered it over to my C&C 24.

I would never think of NOT using one with my Asim. It makes sailing a lot easier.

Enjoy it.

Regards

Bill

Comment

• ndutton
                            Afourian MVP
                            • May 2009

Oh absolutely Bill.

The few times I've tried the sock I've deployed and retrieved the sail completely under control. I expect the more I use it the better I'll get. The improvement in handling is similar to the difference between hanked on jibs and roller furlers.

Shawn and I made a straight across trade on the deal and I only hope he gets as much benefit out of my contribution as I have from his.
                            Neil
                            1977 Catalina 30
                            San Pedro, California

Comment

• Al Schober
                              Afourian MVP
                              • Jul 2009

Not sure I agree with the comparison between hanked jibs & roller furling. When you want the jib to go away (when anchoring or coming to a mooring) roller furling can't be beat. But when you want to change jibs (it's blowing 30 and this jib is too big) hanks have it hands down as to keeping the sail change under control.
                              Spinnaker socks are good things, except they look ugly when the chute is up. No way around that. Never seen one on a race boat, but they have a trained ape on the foredeck. But, if you want to fly a chute short handed, they're the way to go.

Comment

Working...
                              X