X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ILikeRust
    Afourian MVP
    • Sep 2010

Well, thankfully I am now back at home, having spent the day yesterday flying home from L.A.

After getting some good sleep and laying about for a little while this morning, I of course went right back to work on the engine.

Tom (thatch) suggested that he thought I might have forgotten to install the oil galley plug behind the camshaft gear. I was 99.9999% sure I had put that one in. But, in the hopes that he was right (because that theoretically would require removal of only the rear cover), I went about it.

The depressing thing is how much dis-assembly is required to get at the oil galley plugs.

Of course, in removing the rear cover, the oil pan gaskets both tore off, and the rear circular cover gasket also tore, so there goes any hope of getting the engine back together and running this weekend. I'll order new gaskets on Monday and expect them here by the end of the day Tuesday.

Anyhow, I opened her up, and what do I spy with my little eye?

Well Tom, I guess it was worth a shot.

So then I open up the Moyer Manual (RTFM!) and find the section on the oil galley plugs. It says there are three of them: one on the front end of the block, one on the rear end of the block (the one shown above), and one under where the oil pressure regulating valve is.

Hmmm...

I had noticed back when I first put the oil pan back on the engine, before I put the rear cover on, that a little oil had seeped out and soaked the oil pan gasket right at that area. I assumed it was just a few drops that had run down and dripped on it or something.

And then after I had assembled the whole thing, and we were cranking the engine, I noticed a slight weep of oil right there. I assumed it was just because that is a trouble area - Ken had told me that area, where the block, rear cover and pan all come together, sometimes is difficult to fully seal, and you can get an oil weep there. So I figured that was what was going on.

But now I'm thinking I bet I missed that plug. It goes right under here:

I have to drop the oil pan to get at it, but I have to do that anyway, since I need to replace the gaskets anyhow. Once I get the pan off, we'll see... I should have it off by the end of the day today - just waiting for my neighbor to come back from running some errands and lend me a hand lifting the engine out of the cradle I built. Right now there's no way to get at the oil pan bolts, because they come up from underneath, and the engine is sitting on the oil pan flange.

Which reminds me - there's a fantastic thread over on the Wooden Boat Forum in which a guy is building a very cool wooden boat. He and his son are rebuilding a 2-cylinder Michigan Marine Motor Company marine-converted Hercules engine. What is quite interesting is how similar that engine is to the Atomic 4 in its layout. It even uses the same Paragon reversing gear.

You can see the engine and what they're doing with it starting here.

One thing I noted, which makes excellent sense to me, is that when reassembling, they attached the reversing gear cover to the block BEFORE the oil pan, turned the whole thing upside-down, dropped in the reversing gear, and then dropped the oil pan on the whole assembly. See:

Now this definitely is easier to do with an engine stand, as they are using. But it also would be doable with a little grunting and brute strength on a bench.

But (and yes, this may get me branded as a heretic to say) this approach, in at least one respect, makes more sense to me than the one advised in the Moyer Manual. The Manual says to lay the block updside-down, put the gaskets on the block, set and set the pan on the block. Then turn the assembly over, drop in the reversing gear, and install the rear housing.

The first issue with that approach is that when you lay the oil pan gaskets on the bottom of the upside-down block, the back half of the gaskets are just flopping around in space. So they don't want to stay put while you're trying to get the oil pan on and trying to keep all the holes aligned.

The second issue is that you have to do a little fiddling to keep the shifting yoke properly aligned with the collar on the tail end of the reversing gear while you drop the rear cover on, all the while making sure not to tear or mess up the oil pan gasket. You have two mating surfaces to deal with, and they are at 90 degrees to each other.

If you instead assemble it upside down and put the reversing gear housing on first, you have only one mating surface to deal with in attaching the housing (between the housing and the back end of the block). Then you drop the reversing gear into the housing and onto the shifting yoke, then lay the oil pan gaskets along the entire assembly - so the gaskets are fully supported along their entire length - then lay the oil pan down on the whole assembly.

Add to that the fact that the oil pan bolts for the block come up from underneath. With it upside-down, it is then easy to put them all in. Then turn it over and put in the ones that hold the rear housing on to the oil pan.

I might try something like this when it comes time to put this whole mess back together.

I will note, however, that they did put the flywheel housing on before putting the oil pan on - that creates the situation again of having to deal with two perpendicular mating surfaces. I put the flywheel housing on last.
    - Bill T.
    - Richmond, VA

Relentless pursuer of lost causes

Comment

• hanleyclifford
      Afourian MVP
      • Mar 2010

Bill - I'm on the same page with you on this matter of assembly sequence. I have never liked the procedure we follow getting these things back together for the very reasons you cited. I think part of the reason for the "standard" technique has to do with weight and the difficulty of turning the mass of metal over with everything assembled. There are also support issues with the engine on its head, so to speak. Thanks for your thoughts and I am looking forward to your documenting the re-assembly using your proposal. Edit: BTW, looking at the picture on page 5-2 of the MM Manual it seems like you might be able to get a finger in there to feel if the plug is present.
      Last edited by hanleyclifford; 06-18-2011, 02:34 PM.

Comment

• ILikeRust
        Afourian MVP
        • Sep 2010

Mystery solved!

Ze mystery, she is sol-ved.

First thing I had to do, in order to get the oil pan off, was to lift the engine up out of the cradle I had built, so as to be able to get at the pan bolts.

As I don't have an engine lift, I stood there looking at it for a few minutes, wondering how much weight I was dealing with and what I could cobble together to lift it. I already had removed the reversing gear housing, the reversing gear assembly and the flywheel. So that took a good bit of weight off. Of course, taking "a good bit of weight" of off something that weighs around 350 - 400 lbs. still leaves "a good deal of weight" behind.

My neighbor was out running errands, and I didn't know when he would be back, so I took the matter into my own hands. Literally.

I bent down, grabbed the front end of the crankshaft in my left hand, the tail end of the crankshaft in my right hand, and deadlifted the whole thing out of the cradle. Then I turned 90 degrees and set it back down on top of the cradle, cross-wise, so it was sitting on the oil pan.

Heh - I just noticed you can see the flywheel in the background...

Then I undid all the pan bolts, only to discover that because of the protruding studs on the front end of the crank, I couldn't lift the block off the pan unless I also removed the flywheel housing. Which I did. Leaving yet another gasket to be replaced.

So then the block was simply sitting on the oil pan. I grabbed hold and lifted it up off the pan and set it down on one of my Black & Decker Workmates.

I tipped the engine up and pulled off the remains of the oil pan gasket to see if I was right and had forgotten the plug next to the oil pressure regulating valve.

Yup.

Kinda hard to build up any oil pressure when you've got a 1/4" hole in the system. 30 seconds later, it looked like this:

I think that looks much better, don't you?

Just for the sake of completeness and documenting for posterity, here is the plug at the front end of the block - it hides behind the flywheel housing:

So I now have photographic proof, with all of you as my witnesses, that all THREE oil plugs are in place.

I then cleaned up all the remains of gaskets and got everything ready for reassembly. Since I don't have the new gaskets, the project is now at a stand-still.

I'll send Ken an e-mail ordering the gaskets, which means he'll send them Monday and I should get them Tuesday. If I have the energy, I'll see if I can't get it back together Tuesday evening after work - or at least start the reassembly process.
        - Bill T.
        - Richmond, VA

Comment

• hanleyclifford
          Afourian MVP
          • Mar 2010

How did that go?...for the want of a plug the oil was lost, for the want of the oil...usw. The next thing will be to plan (while waiting for gaskets) what is to be done to prepare the head for upside down re-assembly...

Comment

• Administrator
            MMI Webmaster
            • Oct 2004

Ze mystery, she is sol-ved.
            One of my very favorite movie characters. Half the theater is weeping with laughter. The other half is sitting there, wondering what they missed.

My favorite scene: the one in the elevator (no words were spoken). Second best: "Does your dog bite?"

Bill

Comment

• ILikeRust
              Afourian MVP
              • Sep 2010

"But that was a priceless Steinway piano!"

"Nut ennymeure".
              - Bill T.
              - Richmond, VA

Comment

• thatch
                Afourian MVP
                • Dec 2009

"Congrats"

Bill,
                Thank you for taking the time to documment your search for the mystery oil leak. While rolling my block around the trunk of my Toyota, I'm surprised that we missed that plug as a possibility. I'm quite confident, at this point, that the reassembly will go smoothly and you will have a sweet running A4 in no time.
                Tom

Comment

• roadnsky
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Dec 2008

Originally posted by ILikeRust View Post
                  "But that was a priceless Steinway piano!"
                  "Nut ennymeure".
                  "There is a time to laugh and a time not to laugh, and this is not one of them."
                  -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
                  sigpic
                  1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• jpian0923
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Sep 2010

Dumb question: Are you saying that even though you never ran the engine with the previous gaskets that you still need new ones?
                    "Jim"
                    S/V "Ahoi"
                    1967 Islander 29
                    Harbor Island, San Diego
                    2/7/67 A4 Engine Block date

Comment

• ILikeRust
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Sep 2010

Originally posted by jpian0923 View Post
                      Dumb question: Are you saying that even though you never ran the engine with the previous gaskets that you still need new ones?
                      Yes, because when I opened the engine back up, the gaskets got destroyed. If they had remained intact, I would have re-used them (and in fact, I am re-using a few gaskets that came off intact). But the oil pan gaskets, the rear round seal gasket, and the front flywheel housing gasket got torn up and ruined in pulling the housings apart.
                      - Bill T.
                      - Richmond, VA

Comment

• jpian0923
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Sep 2010

Have you seen this?
                        Attached Files
                        "Jim"
                        S/V "Ahoi"
                        1967 Islander 29
                        Harbor Island, San Diego

Comment

• ILikeRust
                          Afourian MVP
                          • Sep 2010

Yup. Got it from Ken a while back, after we were discussing the whole issue.
                          - Bill T.
                          - Richmond, VA

Comment

• jpian0923
                            Afourian MVP
                            • Sep 2010

It's kind of depressing to think you have to replace a gasket every time you remove it.
                            I thought that only high compression gaskets would need to be replaced every time.
                            "Jim"
                            S/V "Ahoi"
                            1967 Islander 29
                            Harbor Island, San Diego

Comment

• ILikeRust
                              Afourian MVP
                              • Sep 2010

Originally posted by jpian0923 View Post
                              It's kind of depressing to think you have to replace a gasket every time you remove it.
                              I thought that only high compression gaskets would need to be replaced every time.
                              Well, not always. I have to replace those only because they got destroyed in pulling those pieces apart. If you're able to get them apart and keep the gasket in one piece, I don't see why you couldn't reuse them. I removed the reversing gear cover plate and managed to keep that gasket intact (I think), and I plan on reusing it. I also removed the water pump without damaging that gasket, and plan on sticking it right back on.

As far as the oil pan gasket, it's not one that I would anticipate needing to open up and reuse all that often. As far as I know, the one I removed when I first opened the engine up was the factory original from 1983. I anticipate that once I get the engine back in the boat, the oil pan gasket I put in will be in there for the next 30 years.

Being that it's basically just thick paper, though, it's not too hard to tear it when pulling things apart.

The front gasket, that goes behind the flywheel housing, also gets Permatex on both sides (front and back) of the bottom half. So there's pretty much no way you're getting that off in one piece.

In any case, they're only a few bucks a piece, so it's not the end of the world.
                              - Bill T.
                              - Richmond, VA

Comment

• jpian0923
                                Afourian MVP
                                • Sep 2010

that's true. But now you have to wait.
                                "Jim"
                                S/V "Ahoi"
                                1967 Islander 29
                                Harbor Island, San Diego