Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Introductions

#1   IP: 216.220.224.42
Old 04-07-2010, 11:53 PM

Hello from Maine

Well I actually live in AZ but will be commuting/working in ME for the rest of the year. When in AZ we sail a Hunter 260 on desert lakes. We get our coastal/blue water fix with a cruiser out of San Diego. So was does a stranded sailor do when given the opportunity to sail Penobscott Bay... buy another boat.

I recently purchased a mostly restored Tartan 27 (hull ID 69) with an A4. I believe it is an early model A4 (identified from reading the post) serial number 201100. The yard's mechanic said she checked out and gave me some good history on the boat and motor. I have to be honest and say I came out of the diesel only camp so this is very new/old stuff to me.

I am still working on identifying all the pieces and parts. So far I know the points are replaced with electronic, fuel separator is installed, it is the early type with the oil fill reservoir and I think the old style oil hand pump and many other parts I am still sorting out. I am sure I will be sharing pics with the question "what the heck is this" It took me a while to find the oil fill even with the supplied manual.

I only have weekends to play so every night I am pouring over the forums just learning and reading. As you all know a wealth of information to read and absorb.

I will be doing the spring commissioning and adding some electronics this weekend so I am sure there will be questions coming. Shooting for a late April launch.

If there are any midcoast Mainers I look forward to meeting you and would welcome some local advice.

Tim
  #2   IP: 76.7.99.137
Old 04-08-2010, 07:50 AM
Afourian MVP

Welcome. Nice set up, a boat in every port. Dan S/V Marian Claire
  #3   IP: 207.206.237.232
Old 04-08-2010, 09:10 AM

Tim
We had a T27 with an early model A4. I learned about the engine from Don's manual, a one-day seminar he ran and later from this group. I knew literally nothing before then. I'm sure you will get the help you need here. Lots of friendly experts.
I do have two suggestions to start. First, use Don's manual for an hour identifying everything. Also, I recall that the extender bolt ($20 from Don's parts listing) for the inner attachment of the water pump at the back of the engine was a nice addition.

Bill and Jeanne
T34C #453
Otter
  #4   IP: 63.239.65.11
Old 04-08-2010, 12:32 PM
Afourian MVP

I don't think you can have an early model, as mine is a late model from 1975 with serial number 178848 -- but it's interesting that you have so many early model features.

Where did you get the engine serial number from?
  #5   IP: 216.220.224.42
Old 04-08-2010, 08:21 PM

Thanks and answers

Thank you for the advice and comments.

Regarding the motor. The serial number was provided by the previous owner and written in various service records. The reason I think it is a early model is based on the following:

If your engine does not have an oil fill tube over the flywheel housing, it may require a mix of late and early model parts.

There is no fill cap/tube over the flywheel. There is an oil resevoir back by the dip stick. Maybe I jumped to conclusions.

In the manual's reference section, the serial number (201100) fits just after the "new style fly wheel was added" and before "the electric fuel pump and low oil pressure switch was added." which does seem late in the modifications and actually after yours. That does not jive with the 69 hull number falls much earlier than 70's.

I will verify more this weekend.

Tim

Last edited by breweraz; 04-11-2010 at 07:37 AM.
  #6   IP: 76.106.6.207
Old 04-08-2010, 08:46 PM
Afourian MVP

Interesting. Perhaps my engine is the one with the modifications.

Though I do seem to remember that the v-drive units had a separate oil fill for the tranny. Is that right?