Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Troubleshooting

#1   IP: 219.93.174.104
Old 06-18-2006, 09:53 PM
Unregistered

Talking gas line problems???

hello all,

My engine starts great, runs a bit rough, and even runs all the way to about half throttle. My problem is when I try to either rev the engine (like when you put it in reverse and want to slow the boat or stop) and when I try to get the boat above 5 or so knots. Even at idle if I rev the engine it will stall. Right now my thought is that the engine is just not getting enough gas.??? I'm going to replace the fuel filter and the gas line. Gas line in case of cracks or pinhole type issues causing suction problems. I'm just wondering if anyone may have a similar problem and how you fixed it.

I am also getting a strong smell of gas in the boat. I checked for leakes but find absolutely nothing. Not even dampness. I am thinking I maybe just filled the tank to much. Is that possible???

Finally I am wondering about the mechanical fuel pump. How much movement is there supposed to be when I pump it. I only get a short distance, maybe a half inch of movement? Could this be my problem or at least part of it? I am thinking of switching to an electronic fuel pump any way. Anyone have any advice about the pumps?

I guess that is enough questions for now

Thank you for any advice

Chris
  #2   IP: 208.54.153.169
Old 06-19-2006, 07:13 AM

From the symptoms you describe I'd say that the needle valve in
your carb. is partially stuck. This would explain why you can't
run the motor under load and also the smell of fumes.

For a quick fix try tapping the aft end of the carb. Sometimes
that will free it up. Much better is to take the carb. off and
open it up. Just a very tiny piece of grit can cause trouble in
this area. I use compressed air to blow out all the orifices
and clean things up once I've gone to the trouble of
taking the carb. off.

-jonathan
  #3   IP: 170.161.69.18
Old 06-19-2006, 08:05 AM
Unregistered

thanks for the advice. I'm just a bit aprehensive about taking the carb apart because then I need to get new gaskets and may be opening up a canof worms. I am trying to fix anything I can prior to having to open up the carb. I have that on the list of things to do over the winter. Guess that should have been on the list last winter.

Thanks for the advice. I think I may have to bite the bullet and clean the carb.

Any advice on where to go for some detailed instructions on what to do? This way I can have all the parts I will need ahead of time.

Thanks,

Chris
  #4   IP: 38.118.52.41
Old 06-19-2006, 09:25 PM

Chris,

I'm a bit concerned over your smelling of fuel and your engine showing symptoms of fuel starvation at the same time. The fuel smell may be coming from the crankcase as a result of a defective diaphragm in your mechanical fuel pump. I'm attaching a recent Q & A we prepared on the subject of checking mechanical fuel pumps. I would start with that check before doing anything else at this time.

Don
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Mechanical fuel pump check.pdf (10.4 KB, 777 views)

Tags
None