Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • keithems
    • Feb 2008

do all your c&c's batch water from the exhaust like mine does? -- not only at idle but also at 4-5 k [that's the fastest i've motored so far]? -- i'm thinking that's because the wet exhaust loop goes so high on the transom it's acting like a 2nd water lift muffler....is that likely?
    keithems
    [1976 c&c 30 mk 1]

Comment

• msauntry
      • May 2008

That's probably an exhaust restriction. Its normal for water to batch at idle, but at cruising speeds it should be a steady stream. Mine used to be, but then I added a tube on the transom to extend the discharge since I was getting hull staining, but that extra restriction seems to have been too much. I'm now batching at higher speeds when I didn't before.
      I'm basically choking the outlet and will have to remedy this.

Hot exhaust sections also get crummed up and restrictive.

Comment

• keithems
        • Feb 2008

OK -- So.....

1. how do i know if the muffler is shot? mine looks fine, but this boat sat for a long while and i know water got into the old engine, at least....

2. will it harm or hurt if i let some muriatic acid soak in the muffler for a bit to get whatever crud's in there out?

3. looked at the exhaust hose between muffler and exit -- it's very long -- doubled over -- goes up for the transom loop [as i assume it should] but then comes down below the first loop before going back up and out to the exit.... i pushed it up so it goes higher and eliminates that second loop, but saw no big change in batching [only tested at dock, so far] -- should i just cut it short enough to give the one transom loop but no more??
        keithems
        [1976 c&c 30 mk 1]

Comment

• msauntry
          • May 2008

You were right to eliminate the second loop you mention that dips below the first and then to exit. Also, our term 'loop' can be a little decieving. It doesn't have to actually go in a circle, just to deck level and then to exit.
          Twisting it that tight can really reduce its inner diamter, so by undoing a circle and just having it run to deck level and then to exit could be all you need, if you actually have a circle of hose.
          I may have missed it, but what type of muffler do you have?

The other choke point could be the hot section of exhaust pipe. They corrode from the inside out and can develop a lot of junk on their insides. Pipe is cheap, so just get new galvanized pipe.

Comment

• Dave O
            • Nov 2007

After quite a bit of delay I received a copy of the builder's file for my C&C 29 Mark I from South Shore Yachts. For those who inquired the file contains the original order from the dealer to C&C, a list of options, the price of each and the total, quality inspection reports (2) and delivery information. For $35.00 Cdn I am glad to have it from a "historical" standpoint. From a practical standpoint it will not add much. But I am still glad to have it.

Comment

• Kurt
              • Jun 2007

Thanks for reporting back Dave!

KB

Comment

• Dave O
                • Nov 2007

My pleasure.

And for more C&C "historical" stuff I rec'd this email yesterday that might be of interest. Relates to all C&C models concerning original drawings. Not necessarily Atomic 4 related so I apologize in advance but perhaps it is of interest. Apparently the museum is located in Kingston, ON.

>C&C owners,
                >As you may remember from someone else's posting, the original collection of C&C design drawings was turned over to a Maritime Museum to be archived this year.
                >I learned that the museum is interested in helping anyone interested in buying copies and just received paper copies of plans for my 1990 34R. The price was reasonable, $10 per page for full size paper copies, more for digital copies. Shipping cost is extra as well as a small administrative charge.
                >
                >The collection is large and not yet catalogued so you must be patient and email your request to the curator at:
                >
                >curator@marmuseum.ca
                >
                >She can tell you what plans are available for your model.
                >
                >I got everything associated with my model and shipped for $109:
                >a framable Sailplan that is 3X size of brochure,
                >several construction drawings showing keel bolt configuration
                >full size rudder templates
                >scaled keel templates
                >
                >I'm very happy to get these plans and recommend the museum as another very helpful resource.

Comment

• rigspelt
                  Afourian MVP
                  • May 2008

Originally posted by Dave O View Post
                  Apparently the museum is located in Kingston, ON.
                  Thanks for this tip - I just emailed the curator. The Museum of the Great Lakes is worth a stop. Among other exhibits they maintain the icebreaker CGCS Alexander Henry as a floatiing bed and breakfast. I crewed on that ship a long time ago. Showed my cabin to our kids one year when we were travelling through Ontario.

I haven't turned up any C&C design information on their older A4 installations.
                  1974 C&C 27

Comment

• sv_leeway
                    • Sep 2008

Original drawings

Hi,

These original drawings are great to have. I purchased the set for my 1971 Corvette a while back, and while there are some small inaccuracies due to changes between design and final production of my boat, it's still a great resource.

My drawings do show some detail of the installation of the Atomic 4 in the boat, although I'll have to go through the whole set to see just how much useful information is there. I'll get back to the group if I find anything useful.

My exhaust also routes right up to the aft deck at the transom before going back down to the outlet, but it uses a Vetus gooseneck for that purpose, which I believe avoids the problem of inner hose diameter restriction on the tightest part of the loop. I have a picture of the installation somewhere, which I will try to find and post for all to see.

Comment

• sv_leeway
                      • Sep 2008

Here are a couple of pictures of the Vetus gooseneck installation (I don't have one photo which shows the whole thing due to the tight confines) under the aft deck of my Corvette.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• sv_leeway
                        • Sep 2008

Original srawings

Here are a couple of pictures of the original design drawings showing Cuthbertson's rough ideas about the installation of the Atomic 4 in a C&C Corvette. I don't know if any were actually installed with this type of exhaust arrangement (note the "Exhaust system as appropriate" comment in the first drawing) ... certainly this bears very little resemblance to what's currently in my boat, which was built five years after the design drawings were made.

Still fun to look at, though.

Rob
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by sv_leeway; 10-24-2008, 09:18 PM. Reason: bad math on the build date!

Comment

• 67c&ccorv
                          Afourian MVP
                          • Dec 2008

Looks exactly like what is in my boat built in 1967 (hull #29) - where did you get the fantastic blueprints!

I finally bought a CD of blueprints from the Corvette Association website - well worth the money.
                          Last edited by 67c&ccorv; 12-15-2010, 12:43 AM. Reason: New info.

Comment

• keithems
                            • Feb 2008

Originally posted by msmith10 View Post
                            I would like to replace the solid mounts someday, though. Rubber mounts would quiet things down a little.
                            so did u ever do anything about the mounts? did it help?

has anyone else tried anything?

pls see my question posted in a current forum as well

thx & regards

keith
                            keithems
                            [1976 c&c 30 mk 1]

Comment

Working...
                            X