Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Cooling System

#1   IP: 74.78.167.181
Old 08-05-2014, 09:24 PM

From the Chesapeake to Gulf of Maine

First the good news (for this forum--non-news): In June I "sailed " my boat from the Annapolis area to Friendship, Maine. I intended to use the A4 only minimally, but time and the weather intervened. My crew for the trip was happy to spend 3 weeks making the trip, but he couldn't sit and wait for wind when there was no air--which was far more often than I expected. There were probably 10 days where we spent 4 to 5 hours motoring. I was very nervous about how my 44-year old engine would hold up, but it never faltered. In fact, the farther we got north, the happier it was, as evidenced by the water temp and oil pressure gauges. The A4 loves North Atlantic Ocean water, especially compared to the steamy Chesapeake.

However, things got "interesting" after I reached my new home port of Friendship. The water up here is very weedy and, unlike the Chesapeake, the weed does not just sit on the surface. A few days after I arrived here, I went for a sail and after running the engine just a few minutes saw the temperature gauge shoot up to 240 and saw white steam--and no water--coming out the exhaust. I checked the raw water strainer in my FWC boat and it was stuffed with weed. (In 14 years of sailing on the Chesapeake I had never picked up anything in the strainer.) Even after clearing it I was getting no water coming in from the seawater intake.

The next day I rowed out to the mooring with some tools and took things apart to see what was going on. I pulled off the intake hose from the seacock and nothing was coming through. Using the upper end of a long spade drill as a plunger/rammer, I pushed down and loosened a clog from the intake.

My plan is to keep a length of choke cable (flexible but stiff) ready to clear any future clogs. I always watch the water temp closely when running the engine and will probably install the water temp/water flow alarm system that Don sells. It seems to me that a strainer/grating on the outside of the hull would clog and there would be no way to clear it from inside the boat. Does anyone have any other suggestions?
  #2   IP: 32.211.36.228
Old 08-05-2014, 09:34 PM
Afourian MVP

No suggestions - I think you have the answer. When it clogs, rod it out.
I too have a large basket strainer (Groco ARG-500) that does yeoman duty. My hull valve is ball type, and when it clogs I disconnect the hose and just clean things out with a piece of dowel. I don't like the outside strainers - the only way to clear them is to go over the side. I try to avoid having to do that.
Had one instance motoring from Grand Manan to St Johns when we caught a piece of net on the prop. Managed to limp into Dipper Hbr, and the next morning I suited up and went over the side - Brrrr! The wad of net was about 3" diameter and about 7' long - amazing the engine even ran.
  #3   IP: 174.58.82.173
Old 08-05-2014, 11:32 PM
Afourian MVP

Bob, I think this is a case where you want to ask around. Find out what the local sailors and fishermen do, and what they use for a sea water intake.
  #4   IP: 24.224.155.146
Old 08-06-2014, 06:08 AM
Afourian MVP

This past weekend we ran through a few patches of weed. Odyssey has an outside strainer ... its a series of holes drilled and not elongated slits.

I'm not sure if the type of strainer makes a difference but haven't had an issue with weeds except them getting on my prop shaft. That happened a couple of times, and as the boat was still moving forward, I put it in reverse and they came off...just look off the stern and once they spin off they are generally seen in the wake immediately.

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
The optimist expects it to change.
The realist adjusts the sails.
...Sir William Arthur Ward.