X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • urchin
    • Sep 2010

engine wont restart after sailing

The last two weekends I have gone out sailing the engine wont restart. Both times have been after long down wind runs with a trailing sea.

I am thinking that I am getting water into the engine through the exhaust. Any ideas on how to test my theory or suggestions on what else might be behind my starting issues would be appreciated.
  • Mo
    Afourian MVP
    • Jun 2007

Hi Urhcin,
    One thing to try is remove plugs and look to see if there is water on them. Gas typically will look wet, however, water will have droplets form on the end of the plug...both may smell like gas but the droplets are the give-away.

In such a case you can try just wiping the plugs dry, turn off your raw water intake, and try the restart. As soon as the engine runs remember to open the raw water intake valve again.

Some pictures of your exhaust system from manifold to transom would be beneficial as well. Generally the guys here can come up with some suggestions or modifications that will prevent any water incursion.
    Mo

"Odyssey"
    1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
    The optimist expects it to change.
    The realist adjusts the sails.
    ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• Clucas
      • Apr 2007

A few Qs... If your engine raw water cooled, do you have an external clamshell-type strainer? If yes, which way does the strainer face -- are the slits facing forward or aft? Facing forward, you could have water entering by way of the strainer and rw intake just from forward motion of the boat (a temporary fix is simply shutting off the RW intake while under sail). Proper orientation of this type of strainer is to have the slits facing aft.

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
        Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
        • Nov 2008

Originally posted by urchin View Post
        The last two weekends I have gone out sailing the engine wont restart. Both times have been after long down wind runs with a trailing sea.
        I am thinking that I am getting water into the engine through the exhaust. Any ideas on how to test my theory or suggestions on what else might be behind my starting issues would be appreciated.
        Idle the engine in neutral or in gear during the next down wind run.

TRUE GRIT

Edit: If the engine dies remember to turn the key or switch to the off position to de energize the coil.
        Last edited by JOHN COOKSON; 07-14-2014, 04:38 PM.

Comment

• mikke60@comcast.net
          • Mar 2011

Water

I am betting you have water in your fuel.
          Had same problem for years, new owner switched to 6 gal portable tank, and problem solved. I am guessing churning up at sea caused the issue only apon returning.

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
            Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
            • Nov 2008

Originally posted by mikke60@comcast.net View Post
            I am betting you have water in your fuel.
            Had same problem for years, new owner switched to 6 gal portable tank, and problem solved. I am guessing churning up at sea caused the issue only apon returning.
            Mikke: A big welcome to the forum.

Urchin: This crossed my mind but I didn't post it. Where is the tank vent located on the hull? Any chance water is getting into the tank VIA the vent opening when sailing downwind?

TRUE GRIT

Comment

Working...
            X