X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Paul_NY
    • Dec 2004

Inserting T-fitting to raw water intake

When winterizing my Atomic 4 (raw water cooling) this past fall, I removed the water intake hose from the through-hull fitting and placed it in a 5-gallon bucket of antifreeze/water mixture. Since then, I've read (including on this site) about T-fittings on the water intake side of the pump.

Years ago I inserted a similar fitting in the cooling system of a Chevy Nova for purposes of flushing the engine with a garden hose. The connector never leaked.

Such a fitting would seem to work well for winterizing raw water cooled motors; run a hose from the T-fitting to the bucket instead of removing the hose from the through-hull fitting. Plus, the hose could be placed in the bildge for an emergency pump.

Would a fitting similar to those included in the "car engine flushing kits" work with the Atomic 4 for purposes of winterizing? If not, what type of T-fitting do you recommend?

Paul
    Last edited by Paul_NY; 03-24-2005, 11:11 AM. Reason: typo
  • Don Moyer
    • Oct 2004

Paul,

You're correct on all points except for the flushing part. We don't recommend applying pressure to the inlet of the water pump, and even if you disconnected the pump and pressurized in through the water jacket side plate, you wouldn't be accessing the lowest part of the water jackets.

Regards,

Don

Comment

Working...
    X