• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joe_db
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

Front mount thermostat?

I got a stainless version* of the Indigo thermostat with an air bleed valve the other day and was looking for a way to mount it. I was thinking of on the heat exchanger itself, but then I got an idea. I took the T off the thermostat hole in the head because I am doing something else with the temp senders and I had the thermostat in my hand looking at the hole and.....it fit perfectly
    The hole from there into the cooling jacket is bigger and more direct than the hole in the thermostat housing. As far as I can tell, this will work better and makes a neater mounting point. I will need an air bleed for the original thermostat housing, it being a high point. Note it does not go on the manifold because I am running raw water through it.

* I recommend the stainless version for RWC and FWC. The aluminum one was looking ratty and the extra port makes a perfect air bleed for FWC.
    Attached Files
    Joe Della Barba
    Coquina
    C&C 35 MK I
    Maryland USA
  • ArtJ
    • Sep 2009

If memory serves me correctly, when I received the Indigo thermostat,
    I Tee'd it off the Ubituous hot spot end of the Manifold, simultaneously
    Performing the Hatch hose swap. It has been working flawlessly for
    5 or more years with quick warm up and no temp fluctuation. BTW, I
    have MMI heat exchanger installed

Regards Art

Comment

• joe_db
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

If I had a FWC manifold I would do that, but I am running raw water through the manifold to reduce engine room temps.
      Joe Della Barba
      Coquina
      C&C 35 MK I
      Maryland USA

Comment

• romantic comedy
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2007

I dont follow how this works. Where is the bypass with this? How will it be plumbed?

Comment

• joe_db
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2009

The coolant from the engine goes into the center of the thermostat as shown. The port labeled E on the top goes to the heat exchanger for cooling. A port on the bottom you can't see in the photo is the recirculating hose that goes to the output side of the heat exchanger (or pump input - same thing). The funky valve on top is an air bleed. The old thermostat housing will be plugged and have an air bleed.
          Normally this hooks up to the exhaust manifold, but I am doing something different. The manifold heats up the engine compartment too much with the fresh water coolant, so I run raw water through it. I got that idea from some powerboats at my marina.

Originally posted by romantic comedy View Post
          I dont follow how this works. Where is the bypass with this? How will it be plumbed?
          Joe Della Barba
          Coquina
          C&C 35 MK I
          Maryland USA

Comment

• romantic comedy
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2007

I see now.

Comment

• joe_db
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2009

A better view:
              Joe Della Barba
              Coquina
              C&C 35 MK I
              Maryland USA

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                • Jan 2007

Joe, been out of town a bit and I think you have a very good idea when space is available at the end of the motor. The simplicity is great.

As far as lowering box temps I'm not to sure isolating the manifold to be beneficial. However you can run a lower temp t-stat and I don't see any real disadvantage until you are under 140* as long as the engine is properly warmed before any big loads.

I think you should pursue using the "blower" for a constant exchange of cool air to the box. My old Volador with the engine amidships like the Cat 30's would keep the cabin and settee/bunk warm and not hot. My wife and daughter liked the "warm bed" for motoring trips.

Nicely done!

Dave Neptune

Comment

• joe_db
                  Afourian MVP
                  • May 2009

Thanks!
                  We are a few months away from a good test, right now raw water is in the 40s I think. I am optimistic that this will hold the thermostat set point and no higher.
                  Last edited by joe_db; 02-13-2017, 09:12 AM.
                  Joe Della Barba
                  Coquina
                  C&C 35 MK I
                  Maryland USA

Comment

• joe_db
                    Afourian MVP
                    • May 2009

Slight delay of program - my temp sender reads 0 ohms
                    It worked fine before I removed it - I guess it was not up to removal. Our "winter" is about at South Carolina or Northern Florida levels this year, so I will be firing up as soon as my new sender shows up. On the good side I have 0 ohm connectivity from the T and ground side of the thermostat back to ship's ground. Usually there is metal-to-metal contact, but you can possibly get teflon in all the gaps and have no connection. I might see if I can find the copper pipe dope I saw online once and use that. Anyone seen that??? (I also always check the zincs for 0 ohm connection)
                    The sender fits far enough into the T that flowing coolant will be passing it.
                    I have a long term "one day" plan to make a flat plate for the old thermostat housing that will allow me to front mount an alternator with a crank pulley. Dreaming of 100 amp charge rates
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by joe_db; 02-15-2017, 12:22 PM.
                    Joe Della Barba
                    Coquina
                    C&C 35 MK I
                    Maryland USA

Comment

Working...
                    X