• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GregH
    Afourian MVP
    • Jun 2015

Moving fuel tank

Moving the fuel tank from behind the engine to the starboard cockpit locker. Almost all plumbed - shelf bed, hose clamps and new fittings for the tank to get still.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1508719392759.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	205411

Name:	FB_IMG_1508719376343.jpg
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	205412

Name:	FB_IMG_1508719350748.jpg
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	205413
    Greg
    1975 Alberg 30
    sigpic
  • sastanley
    Afourian MVP
    • Sep 2008

Greg, looks like a lot of work, but probably worth it to have good access to the tank and not have the fill (I assume) in the cockpit floor.
    -Shawn
    "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
    "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
    sigpic

Comment

• edwardc
      Afourian MVP
      • Aug 2009

Looks good. I would recommend taking that steel angle-iron frame out and having it sandblasted and powder coated before the final assembly.

Or, at very least, given a good thick set of coats of rustoleium.
      @(^.^)@ Ed
      1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
      with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• GregH
        Afourian MVP
        • Jun 2015

Originally posted by edwardc View Post
        Looks good. I would recommend taking that steel angle-iron frame out and having it sandblasted and powder coated before the final assembly.

Or, at very least, given a good thick set of coats of rustoleium.
        Sorry, I'm not following - to which steel angle-iron frame are you referring?..

oh... umm... If it's the "rusty" frame in the pictures , that is actually scrap mahogany I had in the shop that has been soaked in Daly's sealer. There will be painted 1/2" ply being fastened to the top of that frame

Previous location it was held down to the support frame cross braces by copper strapping - planning to do something similar but not with copper. Should be strong enough shouldn't it?
        Greg
        1975 Alberg 30
        sigpic

Comment

• GregH
          Afourian MVP
          • Jun 2015

Originally posted by sastanley View Post
          Greg, looks like a lot of work, but probably worth it to have good access to the tank and not have the fill (I assume) in the cockpit floor.
          Thanks. it is... but since I cannot fit INTO the cockpit lockers in the A30 and access everything from the side... I have to make it adjust to my... body type

House batteries will be in the port locker and weight wise will help balance things.
          Greg
          1975 Alberg 30
          sigpic

Comment

• joe_db
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2009

What is that tank made of and what are those bubbles in the coating?
            Joe Della Barba
            Coquina
            C&C 35 MK I
            Maryland USA

Comment

• lat 64
              Afourian MVP
              • Oct 2008

A few years ago...

Here's a forum thread with some install thoughts:

Russ
              sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

• GregH
                Afourian MVP
                • Jun 2015

Originally posted by joe_db View Post
                What is that tank made of and what are those bubbles in the coating?
                It's original galvanized steel tank that had a couple spots fixed and a bedliner type of coating put on it I am told. I have a scope that I will look on the inside and see what's up with those spots. It's been sitting empty to the air for 3 years. Those bumps do not look so huge in person - now i'm concerned.
                Last edited by GregH; 10-24-2017, 08:50 AM.
                Greg
                1975 Alberg 30
                sigpic

Comment

• lat 64
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Oct 2008

In the cold weather I like old steel gas cans for yard duty and transport in a pickup but I prefer plastic(good cross-linked poly) for the boat stuff. If that old tank is questionable, maybe it's time to retire it to the farm as a generator tank or something.

Look what I found:

The best online price i have found is:

I do applaud all your efforts at relocating the tank to make it more serviceable.

Russ

Comment

• joe_db
                    Afourian MVP
                    • May 2009

Originally posted by GregH View Post
                    It's original galvanized steel tank that had a couple spots fixed and a bedliner type of coating put on it I am told. I have a scope that I will look on the inside and see what's up with those spots. It's been sitting empty to the air for 3 years. Those bumps do not look so huge in person - now i'm concerned.

No way would I put a steel tank in any boat. Please try and find a modern fuel tank for your project. Plenty of aluminum and poly tanks around in various sizes.
                    Joe Della Barba
                    Coquina
                    C&C 35 MK I
                    Maryland USA

Comment

• edwardc
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Aug 2009

Originally posted by GregH View Post
                      Sorry, I'm not following - to which steel angle-iron frame are you referring?..

oh... umm... If it's the "rusty" frame in the pictures , that is actually scrap mahogany I had in the shop that has been soaked in Daly's sealer. There will be painted 1/2" ply being fastened to the top of that frame

Previous location it was held down to the support frame cross braces by copper strapping - planning to do something similar but not with copper. Should be strong enough shouldn't it?
                      Aha! Now I see it. Kind of like those drawings that you can't decide is its a vase or two faces! My perception keeps switching back and forth!

Straps sound good, but don't use plain steel. Both my Monel fuel tank and my poly water tanks were held down with steel straps, and they all rotted through and broke.
                      @(^.^)@ Ed
                      1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
                      with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• tac
                        • Nov 2015

Fuel Tanks

The USCG requirements at http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9280 contain much on tank construction and installation.

Comment

• sastanley
                          Afourian MVP
                          • Sep 2008

Ok, I'll jump on the bandwagon too since that is a steel tank. Since you are going to all this trouble, if the budget allows, I'd also recommend a poly tank. I replaced my aluminum tank (pin hole in the lowest corner I assume from water sitting in there due to ethanol fuel) with a Moeller of similar dimensions..they have lots and lots of different sizes.

http://moellermarine.com/product-cat...nt-fuel-tanks/ for determining an appropriate size, then shop around for the best price/supplier.
                          -Shawn
                          "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
                          "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                          sigpic

Comment

• lat 64
                            Afourian MVP
                            • Oct 2008

I just reread some of these posts and something struck me; copper, zinc, and steel siting in a mist of bilge water.
                            It's a battery!

A plastic tank should be properly grounded too.

R

Comment

• GregH
                              Afourian MVP
                              • Jun 2015

Had a break at work today and went to see what was in the warehouse (thanks "Lat 64 "for the great link! )

Looks like tank(pic below) will work nicely. Just have to make sure it'll fit through the locker hatch! The set back for the fill nozzle, and set at 90 degrees will really help with the hose attachment issues.

Name:	IMG_20171025_46663.jpg
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	198492
                              Greg
                              1975 Alberg 30
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X