• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • uminski
    Frequent Contributor
    • Mar 2011

Carburator Success story - Bad Scavenger Tube

Another Carburator Success Story. (Clogged Scavenger Tube)

Just wanted to post a note of my joy in fixing my late model 4 bolt carburator.

The symptons: The Atomic 4 Engine was would run at high speed then stall and then not start. I noticed lots of gas sheen on the water exhaust too. The fuel problem started right after I left fuel tank get below 1 gallon.

Initially replaced oil water separator, secondary fuel filter, cleaned fuel sediment bowl and spark plugs which did not help. I looked at many suggested solution options on this forum. I even checked the hot water exhaust tube.

The Solution: Took apart the carburator and upon inspection notice the 1//8 dimater scavenger tube which connects the carburator to the intake manifold was clogged. After cleaning the tube, the motor started right up and has run well.

Regards Uminski
    Photo attached of scavenger tube with red line trace and Moyer part list

• CalebD
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2007

We all like success stories.

uminski,
    Glad you figured your carburetor problem out.

I only put the scavenger tube on our 5 bolt carb a few years ago.
    For many years our carb ran just fine without it.
    What puzzles me is how a clogged scavenger tube would cause your engine to eventually not start?

Welcome to the MMI forums!

In the future you should try to re-size your photo to 800 x 600 pixels so it fits better on the page.
    Tartan 27 #328 owner born 1958
    A4 and boat are from 1967

Comment

• Dave Neptune
      Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
      • Jan 2007

Burst bubble

uminski, sorry to burst your bubble but the scavnge tube has nothing to do with the functioning of the carb it just sucks EXCESS FUEL THAT LEAKS OR DRIPS OUT OF SUSPENSION AND DIRECTS IT TO TH MANIFOLD , nothing else. Your carb is probably flooding a bit if you found fuel dripping. I'd look a bit more at the excess fuel issue.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
        Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
        • Nov 2008

To Piggy Back On To Dave N. .............

..........A pretty safe thing to do.
        Anyway:
        My best guess is that you had a pieced of crud in the float needle valve which caused the flooding, which shook loose when you repaired the carb. Gas sheen on the water implies rich running. Excessive fuel in the scavenge tube area is a symptom of fuel leaking.
        If it happened once it could happen again. I say this because in your post you implied it was perhaps related to crud in the tank. Do you have a polishing filter?

TRUE GRIT
        Last edited by JOHN COOKSON; 10-09-2012, 03:34 PM.

Comment

• 67c&ccorv
          Afourian MVP
          • Dec 2008

I'd be a little concerned about the wire loom running so close to the hot exhaust manifold.

Comment

Working...
          X