Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Troubleshooting

Closed Thread

#1   IP: 69.207.149.17
Old 08-04-2012, 09:29 PM

Quick question

Hey guys...I have a quick question.

Normally my A4 runs fine. The engine is in a 1977 Catalina 30 and I replaced the coil, points and rotors last year because I think the engine was stalling due to an overheating coil.

I also replaced the gas tank because the original tank was FULL of gunk. It was like chocolate milk when I got it out of the boat! Once I did that, I wasn't so sure the stalling was an electrical issue, but it didn't hurt to have new electronics installed...

Today after a nice day of sailing, the engine started up but bogged down something fierce when it went into gear. It seemed like it might have been an issue with the choke ( which I had previously knocked out of adjustment working on the reversing gear). I fiddled around with it and got the motor started.

It was a nerve wracking 30 minute ride back to the dock. Winds were directly off the bow all the way back and there is no manuvering room for most of the return...

I didn't dare adjust the throttle because if I did it would start to chug and then stall, so I left it where it was...jumping at every little hiccup.

When I docked and tied her off, I put her back into gear and tried full power and it promptly stalled.

Going down below I couldn't get the engine to 'rev' up. If I tried to give it gas, it would give that 'air inrush' sound but it would bog down and stall...this was when engine is out of gear. I hope I'm explaining this right, I'm going back to my old days of messing around with my Olds Rocket 350 by pushing the throttle lever at the carb to get the car to rev up. Well, it wouldn't let me do that today.

I finished wrapping up boat, very disappointed. About 10 minutes later, I took one last stab at it.

The boat started up and when I put into gear, everything worked fine. She went to full power forward and reverse. Out of gear, I could rev her up to top rpm's with no stall.

Looking through old posts and the MMI guide, it looks like I may have got a piece of dirt in the carb.

I then probably dislodged it.

My question after all that...if I remove the main jet plug and 'drain' some gas into a jar. How do I do that?

Do I pump the manual fuel pump bail? Do I start the engine and let gas come out? I couldn't find anything on how to actually DO it, just a lot of references that is SHOULD be done.

Thanks Guys!
Chris

It's sad, I was planning on going out tonight, nice winds, warm night with a full moon. Oh well!
  #2   IP: 173.166.26.241
Old 08-04-2012, 09:41 PM
Afourian MVP

Talking

With engine shut down, remove the main jet cover cap and catch the gas in a small cup.See if you get anything other than gasoline.
  #3   IP: 184.0.105.143
Old 08-04-2012, 10:18 PM
Afourian MVP

Chris-
Attached is Don's version of the procedure...
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Carb Float Valve clog.pdf (12.1 KB, 626 views)

'Lone Ranger'

1978 RANGER 30
  #4   IP: 69.207.149.17
Old 08-04-2012, 11:02 PM

And just like that, I have an answer!!!!

Thanks so much guys. I will do this tomorrow and report back.

Chris
  #5   IP: 69.207.149.17
Old 08-05-2012, 04:31 PM

Ok, to close the thread...

I removed the main jet bolt and let the gas pour into a container. I cut a water bottle and it fit perfectly below.

There certainly was sediment and black debris in the gas. I pumped the fuel pump and got a bit more sediment.

I then removed the bowl from the gas pump and cleaned that out. It is a new bowl from last year and there was a bit of sediment in the bottom.

I flushed a few more times and the gas came up clear. Not to say a good sailing won't stir some crud up that's lying at the bottom of the carb...

I typically replace the fuel filter twice a year, the tank is brand new and I use regular gas without ethanol, so I think whatever sediment is there is probably inside the carb. If I get ambitious, I'll remove the carb and really flush it out. Otherwise, I figure things should be ok for now.

At least I know how to fix the problem!

Thanks for the quick help!
Chris
Closed Thread