Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Owner Discussion Groups > Discussion Groups > Newport

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   IP: 65.110.214.40
Old 09-05-2019, 09:19 PM

Question My task list needs some sorting - Newport C&C 28

First off, I'm a newbie at the boat owner job. So this is going to be somewhat disorganised, and I suppose I'm looking for advice on what I *must* tackle, what I have to tackle, what I can tackle when I get to it, and what isn't really that important.

Right off the git go, this boat had mold and mildew pretty much on or under every surface that wasn't immediately visible. I've tackled the worst of this already - basically washing every surface I can get to easily and a few that took some interesting work. This effort was massively worthwhile, and although not yet 100% done, I no longer end up with a headache and bronchitis after a day on the boat (I'm somewhat sensitive to mold in the air)

1) biggest single issue in my books is the cockpit sole, for one, when the A4 was last overhauled (about 3 years ago now) they cut out a large chunk of the sole to get the engine out. Why? I have NO idea -- I can see quite clearly that even I could have hauled it out through the companionway gap and then out the door. That has been bolted back in and has 2x2 or 1x2 supports under the cutout, and I have a nice wooden rack in the sole covering that. (there are pics, I will try to attach) Furthermore, the tiller post has a huge steel plate around it bolted down from the top of the sole, and two long steel angle brackets on the underside. My binnacle and the support stand are *both* quite wobbly, and on the underside of that there is a fairly large 5/8" plywood sheet that is de-laminating rapidly.

2) When I do try to handle an issue, I end up having to fix electrical. I cannot *count* the number of butt connectors, electrical tape nests and wire changes midrun. I'm a systems design engineer by training and an IT professional at large enterprise scale. I have nightmares about the wiring. And then I have nightmares in the nightmares about the electrical wiring.

3) Transom : I'm trying valiantly to find transfer records for this craft, however I don't have a hull number because the top quarter of the transom has been rebuilt. And I'm no boat surveyor but I'm pretty sure one should not be able to see the matt warp and weft when the job is done. I'm hoping to be able to turn the top of my transom into something that has a straight line... somewhere.

4) tanks. I've already replaced the holding tank. The original was cracked along the length, about 2/3 the way up. I'm going to say that it was not a job I was thrilled with, but I'm a whole hell of a lot happier now, although I already know it was a bit of a hack job, and I'll have to redo part of the job. It suffices for now. The fresh water tank, I now will take and have an inspection port welded into it and that will let me clean the mold and I'm not sure what else out.

5) toerail and staunchon bolt leaks. There are at *least* 5 staunchion bases that are leaking. I'm concerned about the decking and expecting that there will be much grinding, digging and epoxying in my future. And re and reing the bottom side looks like it would be insanely daunting due to the ?? 1 1/4" lip on the inside

6) I have a fuel guage, a speed indicator, a compass and a depth indicator. That is *all* I'm suspecting there are at least 4 other guages I *should* have an possibly 4 more I might want. I see many folks talking about the alarm kit that our wonderful sponsor sells, and I will be grabbing that at some point.

The A4 will be getting the indigo PCV valve kit. The first thing I changed was to turn the sucker in the engine compartment into a blower, and that helped bring the engine stinky down while on the steel sail, but I suspect that kit will help kill that even more. When I was a teenager I rebuilt a chevy straight six for fun, but I don't think I've touched points since so I'm also considering the EI for the A4.

Mostly she runs well, although I still struggle to reverse her out of the slip, and now that I've played with the sails a bit I'm getting her to lay down and fly under sail so although there's a lot of ugly at the beginning I'm starting to really like my 28' "wide hipped" mistress. (I did ask the SO first, and she said I could -- so here I am. -- I just have to get *her* addicted to the boat)

Any helpful commentary, suggestions on reading, photo journals, etc, I'm am *more* than willing to dig into and learn from.

Alistair.

Tags
fibreglass, Newport, overhaul, structural, wiring