• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rhaggard
    • Jul 2007

Reverse gear adjustment

Greetings all!

I have just finished a rebuild of my 1977 vintage A4 and it runs nice and smooth.
    Only have about 30 minutes run time on the rebuild so still getting a fair amount of smoke from the exhaust. Expect that to diminish as the rings seat.
    My problem is that I don't seem to be able to get reverse out of the "trans".

I have adjusted the nut clockwise until there doesn't seem to be much adjustment left, and still get nothing from reverse. Forward works like a champ, plenty of power there, no slippage.

Is there something I could have assembled incorrectly in my re-assembly of the reversing gear ???

Photos of a correctly assembled reversing gear would be helpful (and/or) detailed drawings of the parts.

Anything you can provide would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Bob
  • Marian Claire
    Afourian MVP
    • Aug 2007

Have you checked out the FAQ Reversing gear Question #6? Hope that helps. Dan S/V Marian Claire

Comment

• jhwelch
      • Dec 2005

I had to replace my reversing gear once (the keyway in the old one was all
      messed up from a few sudden stoppages due to tangled lines in the propeller)
      and after installing the new one I couldn't get the band tightened down enough.

Turns out one of the "ears" had hung up on something and I think I was able to
      clear it with just some jostling which then allowed the adjusting nut to be
      tightened to a reasonable position. Hope this helps.

-jonathan

Comment

Working...
      X