Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Safety

#1   IP: 74.90.28.227
Old 10-16-2013, 09:29 PM

Removal of A4 from C-30

I am removing the A4 from my Catalina 30 this weekend to work on it over the winter and was looking for some general handling suggestions/ideas. Watched few random videos online but they hardly go in detail of how to handle this hunk.

The engine is now sitting free on its mounts but completely unbolted and all hoses and wires disconnected. I purchased a 1 ton chain hoist which should be plenty for this 350 lbs. The boat is currently in the water (it will be hauled out next week..let me know if I should wait). Here is my plan:

1) Use main halyard to support the boom. I have spinaker halyard too which I can use to back up the main.
2) Use heavy webbing to attach chain hoist to the boom about 3/4 aft.
3) Using the hoist, lift the engine making sure it does spin and hit anything.
Swing the boom past the side and lower it on the dolly prepared on the dock.

I did a pretend test run and this last bit seems tricky. As the boom swings the load will heal the boat, which is fine but also it will transfer the load to the shrouds..no? Should this be a concern?

Should I watchout for anything else?
  #2   IP: 173.79.39.190
Old 10-16-2013, 09:57 PM
Afourian MVP

I've seen several videos where the engine gets out of control as soon as they start to swing it off of the centerline. In one in particular, disaster was narrowly averted as the boom & engine took off, the boat heeled, the engine hit the dock, the hook they were using popped off, and the boat righted!

I would definitely try to do something to control the heel. Two things that come to mind are:

1) Have a few extra people as counterweights, moving to the opposite rail as you swing out the engine.

2) Use your spinnaker halyard to attach to somewhere on the dock on the opposite side from where you're unloading the engine.

I would also rig a preventer from the boom end to the opposite rail. This way you can use it to control the motion of the boom, keeping it from going into a positive feedback runaway.

#3   IP: 24.224.152.244
Old 10-16-2013, 10:13 PM
Afourian MVP

Mast Crane available.

Well, if the boat is coming out do you have a mast crane available. We lift out engines with the mast crane quite often and it's a piece of cake. If a mast crane can lift a large mast it will handle an engine. Takes about 10 minutes with a couple of guys helping so that the engine is kept away from the companion-way as it is lifted...so easy it's not funny.

The only thing we ask at the club is that the engine is ready to go as soon as the boat comes to the mast crane. Usually tow the boat over with a zodiac, lift it out and lay in a truck bed if you can get a truck close...otherwise, lay it down in a dual wheel (two wheels on front) wheel barrel and off you go with it. Done it lots of times...too easy.

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
The optimist expects it to change.
The realist adjusts the sails.
...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Last edited by Mo; 10-16-2013 at 10:17 PM.
  #4   IP: 74.90.28.227
Old 10-16-2013, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo View Post
Well, if the boat is coming out do you have a mast crane available. We lift out engines with the mast crane quite often and it's a piece of cake. If a mast crane can lift a large mast it will handle an engine. Takes about 10 minutes with a couple of guys helping so that the engine is kept away from the companion-way as it is lifted.
Crane is available but a steep fee is making me seriously consider doing it myself with help. It seems not an impossible task with a reasonable risk involved.
  #5   IP: 67.183.122.69
Old 10-16-2013, 11:28 PM

I have lifted and installed A4's three different ways. Listed here in my preferred order:

1) mast or other type crane

2) 3 strong guys. And some added creativity. Well, they weren't really all that strong because I was one of them.

3) Standard boom method

All methods done on C30 with no resulting damage. Boom method was the least favorite. But the good thing is the C30 is just about the best sailboat there is for engine R&I.
  #6   IP: 76.103.245.239
Old 10-17-2013, 02:34 AM

lighten it as much as possible

If you're worried about the 335 pounds lighten it as much as possible
Take off the starter, the manifold ,alternator , flywheel and anything else thats will be coming off as you overhaul it, You can get down to 250 - 260 pounds.
Watch your fingers
  #7   IP: 74.90.28.227
Old 10-16-2013, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardc View Post
I would also rig a preventer from the boom end to the opposite rail. This way you can use it to control the motion of the boom, keeping it from going into a positive feedback runaway.
Excellent point..i did not think about the engine swinging the boom out of control.
  #8   IP: 72.39.179.26
Old 10-17-2013, 09:01 PM

C 30

I removed my A4 from my C 30 last Thursday. I was on the hard and used the fork lift at the club to pull it up. 2 guys 10 minutes. I am in a private club in Sarnia Ontario so all the tools are free. A lot of guys use the mast hoist or soling lift.
  #9   IP: 76.103.195.83
Old 10-21-2013, 12:09 AM

Atomic 4 removeal

OK I've removed and installed over 40 A4's by myself and here's how. I first take a tow strap with hooks on each end,I stand on the boom wrap the strap around the mast and hook it,It will stay there with tension on it while I walk back lift the boom up high enough so I'am sure the engine will clear any part of said boat in way. Some times over the top side on some boats the idea is to come close to 45 degees with the strap this puts weight half on the boom and half on the mast. I try to position the strap on the boom where I attach the come-along. I,ve used this method on engines much heavier than A4's ,Volvos MD11,MD17,Universals 5424,5432,ect. I like the boat to list helps get it on the dock! I just hold it back from getting out of control with a line around a winch. I use a refrigerator dolly to walk it up the dock. On some boats I have used a come-along rigged to the mast below decks to drift the engine foreward and aft if it is mounted way foreward like the MD11 in a bayliner buccaneer. makes a Cat 30 look easy. Athough rigging subs makes all these look easy. Works for me hope this helps. Atomic Ed