Catalina Exhaust ...and water of course :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Holmesinc
    • Jun 2007

Catalina Exhaust ...and water of course :)

Hello all,

I've been sorting through the troubleshooting ideas for this common problem and have seen the check-valve idea... which can lead to apparent back pressure issues and/or a stuck valve issues...

Also, Don made it apparent that due to the low sitting A4 in Cat 30's (mine's a 76')... and riser space issues... that there is very little "room" for water to "back-up" when and if it does for whatever reason (vacuum break fails, dry cranking without shutting off the sea water inlet, etc)...

So... has anyone considered setting up 2 (yup... 2) water lift mufflers in series? My idea is to route the sea water outlet (assuming a fresh water cooling system is installed) as in the original design... but the actual engine exhaust to an intermittent lift muffler and then the outlet from that one to the originally installed one.... adding a petcock drain valve to the intermittent one... all in all this would allow more "room" for any sea water back-up issues (safety feature), not add much backpressure or any further mechanical devices in the exhaust for potential failure, and allow (through use of the petcock valve/drain) to check for any sea water presence prior to starting... or even while running if you can stand the noise...

Just an idea... any thoughts?
  • Don Moyer
    • Oct 2004

Unfortunately, whenever two water lift devices have been installed in series (intentionally or unintentionally) the total back pressure within the exhaust system rose to unacceptable levels.

Don

Comment

Working...
    X