Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Reversing Gear

#1   IP: 69.11.175.242
Old 05-20-2015, 02:07 PM

Forward gear adjustment

Question for you all:

Last season our Ranger 33 would often fail to go all the way into forward when the handle was pushed all the way forward. Sometimes it would kind of 'slip' all the way into gear after motoring for a couple of minutes, other times it would just slip (which was OK as I was usually just putting around the marina). I figured that this was an adjustment (detailed in the manual, which I have) and that I'd make the adjustment this spring.

Due to circumstances beyond my control, I'm going up to the boat (6 hour drive) to do some work, but we won't be launching this weekend. My uncle will be there next week to launch, but there's no way he will fit down in the tiny compartment to make the adjustment.

I'm thinking about moving the ring forward one notch, per the manual recommendation. I want to make sure that this isn't a cable issue, however, as once I make the adjustment my uncle will be stuck with whatever I've done for his entire cruise. I assume that, if I put the cockpit lever all the way forward, then disconnect the yoke, I shouldn't be able to pull the transmission arm forward any further, correct? If the transmission arm doesn't go any further forward than it can go via the cockpit lever, then I should make the adjustment. Otherwise I'll adjust the linkage - does this sound like the right approach?

Thanks!
  #2   IP: 24.138.22.213
Old 05-20-2015, 02:42 PM
Afourian MVP

Here's what I would do.

Get down in there and let go the shifting linkage. With the linkage let go, push the handle forward....in doing so, you should feel and definite indent, much like moving the gear shifter on a pickup standard transmission..."that thump, and it's in". If that is present you likely are pretty close....if not move the ring one notch (turn it with your fingers and do it gently because it can spin using a screw driver. If it won't move with your fingers wiggle the shifter handle in neutral with one hand and move the ring with the other...it works.

Next hook the linkage back up and have someone shift the handle into forward while you actually hold your hand on the shifter below...you should feel much the same thing as it snaps into forward. If this is not happening at this point adjust the bracket on the shifter cable.

Now, IF you had to move the ring on the forward gear adjustment you will need to check reverse...this is after you have ensured the shifter cable is working and has a good range of motion. Remember that forward has an indent and reverse has to be held in place by you, the operator. So, you do a reverse test with the boat on the dock and see if it engages quickly enough... or does if just make noise and no engagement after a few seconds. If slow engagement while holding the handle into reverse it may be time to turn the reversing gear nut 1/4 turn. (I mention this because frequently an adjustment on the forward ring can affect the reversing gear as well).

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
The optimist expects it to change.
The realist adjusts the sails.
...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Last edited by Mo; 05-20-2015 at 02:44 PM.
  #3   IP: 69.11.175.242
Old 05-20-2015, 04:57 PM

Mo,

Thank you for the advice. Unfortunately there will be no chance for me to do any testing 'at the dock' because while I'm there it will be only on the hard. The yard doesn't put in on Memorial Day weekend, and I can't stay through Tuesday. My uncle shows up Tuesday morning for the launch, but I have my doubts that he'll be able to crawl back into the compartment in order to make any adjustment.

How risky do you think it will be to make the forward adjustment and just hope that the reverse ends up OK? Would you pro-actively tighten the reverse a 1/4 turn while you were in there?

Thanks,
  #4   IP: 68.108.255.206
Old 05-21-2015, 12:54 AM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

Another thing to check: Be sure the outer cable cover is being held firmly in place at both ends. This sounds like a possibility since you reported that sometimes the shifting is normal and sometimes it isn't right.

TRUE GRIT
  #5   IP: 24.138.22.213
Old 05-21-2015, 05:52 AM
Afourian MVP

Quite likely that the problem will be located in the cable right where it mounts on the bracket before the shifter....but let it go and check the indent first. Then put cable back on, shift to forward and ensure any adjustment is done in that position.

Just a good thing to check the whole thing while you are down there...I think you will do fine and a loose cable is very common and very easily seen.

One thing to mention to your uncle...when in the marina don't go faster than 2 kts and do a reversing test before he goes to dock the boat. Even if reversing gear is off adjustment a bit should be able to throttle down, shift, then it will engage more easily as the engine is throttled up slowly. This mean a gentle approach and ensuring shes going to effectively go into reverse once it goes in the water. If he's a power boater tell him don't drive it like a power boat!!!

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
The optimist expects it to change.
The realist adjusts the sails.
...Sir William Arthur Ward.
  #6   IP: 69.11.175.242
Old 06-15-2015, 01:00 PM

A little late for an update, but in case anyone else runs into this problem, my slipping in forward did turn out to be a linkage problem. I pulled the cable off and was able to pull the shifter on the transmission much further forward and feel the detent. Turned out to be a quick adjustment.

Thanks!