X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wayne norris
    • Jan 2006

Strong gasoline odor

I have an Atomic 4 in my 1978 30'Newport. I am getting a strong gasoline odor after I turn off the engine. I've checked all of the lines, double clamped, no fuel is apparent on the engine room floor and no leaking. The smell appears to be coming out of the carburetor through the flame supressor.

Is this common? Do I need a carburetor rebuild? Brgds Wayne
  • Don Moyer
    • Oct 2004

Wayne,

The first thing I'd do is remove the flame arrestor housing and check the intake throat of the carburetor for the presence of raw fuel.

If there is raw fuel in the bottom of the intake throat, it is usually caused by a tiny particle of dirt getting caught between the needle and seat of the float valve which causes the level within the float chamber to overfill. Important as this problem is from a safety standpoint, it is seldom necessary to completely rebuild the carburetor - but just to give it a good cleaning (especially of the float valve). You might also check your fuel filter(s). Leaky float valves frequently are an indication that your filters either need cleaning or replacing with ones that are more effective in providing adequate fuel quality.

Don

Comment

Working...
    X