Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Owner Discussion Groups > Discussion Groups > Pearson

#1   IP: 76.179.14.186
Old 05-27-2009, 07:56 PM
Frequent Contributor

Spring Low Power Issue...

I posted this issue a few weeks ago noting that after a throrough carb cleaning last summer, my low power/lack of rpm issue was resolved. A couple weeks ago after launching in Kittery the problem was back, about 3/4 power at best in gear - approximately 5 knots. There was a new occurance that I did not mention, uppon starting and engaging the gear there is a sould like a "thud," which sounds more like a transmission issue than the engine as it sounds fine in neutral. After a time it seems to deminish or go away all together.

I was planning to take the boat to Rockland, ME over the weekend and headed out as is. It ran several hours that first day and quit just as we were preparing to anchor. (Very considerate engine...)

The next day it would start, run very slow, even in neutral and then subsequently die when put in gear. Later that day, becalmed, I took off the exhaust where it connects to the manifold and pushed a wire through it finding nothing in the way of a significant blockage other than some very thick black sludge. I removed the spark arrestor, a small connector tube to the carb, (not sure if this is air or fuel) but it was clear regardless. I turned the carb jet in 1/4 turn thinking that it may help balance the equation if there was an air restriction issue. I put it all together and it ran... really. It didn't run any better than before but it did run. We spent the next two days motoring much of the way to Rockland. The engine is still running at reduced rpms, it starts well and sounds perfectly normal in neutral. At the end of the trip, it did produce more of the "thud" noise. These are intermitent every few seconds and fade over time.

Sorry for the long description, but does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Thanks gobs,

John II
  #2   IP: 66.158.76.254
Old 06-01-2009, 09:47 AM

Thud

John, all;

Original A4 install on a 1968 Pearson, still learning my way around but maybe this is of some help.

Fortunately (for me) your issue does not sound exactly familiar, but the odd noise is something I've experienced. I 'think' I resolved it with an adjustment of the distributor.

I've experienced low power before too, but it was consistent right from putting it in gear, rather than a late developing issue. This was caused by having the spark plug 3 & 4 wires reversed. If this were the case you'd of noticed it immediately.

With my issue I think it was either:
1) The coil getting overheated after a long run. I've replaced this and did other work as well, the issue disappeared.

or...

2) The adjustment with the points and distributor. I reset the points - which seemed not to be quite right once I was in there - and did that fine tuning turning the distributor once the mount was loose.

I'm not an expert here, but I think the quitting might have been the coil, and the 'thunk' might have been the timing (???)

Hope this helps AND that you get other suggestions.

Best,

Mick
  #3   IP: 72.92.236.118
Old 03-20-2012, 11:08 AM

Have you checked your mounting bolts recently? the thud when it goes in gear sounds like a loose or broken motor mount. I chased a similar issue in my friends boat down, turned out he used it to ground off his new fuel tank and didn't tighten it up all the way/lost a lockwasher in the bildge and was too excited to go sailing to get another on there.
  #4   IP: 72.92.236.118
Old 03-20-2012, 11:11 AM

So if that's loose, I'd say thats your thud, clean your carb..... fair winds