• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheDude7B7
    • Sep 2019

Machinist in the Greater NYC Area

Hey everyone-

I'm currently at the initial stages of an overhaul. Have the engine out of the boat in disabled as per the MMI Overhaul Manual. Now I'm starting the journey of finding a reputable shop in the area to hot tank, magnaflux, measure, and do any required machine work. Problem is that there are tons of shops in the area (especially in LIC for all the cabs). Before I start dialing down the list, I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations.

-Kind Regards
    TheDude

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.” - Hunter S. Thompson
  • Scuppers 2
    • Feb 2019

Block cleaning and machining

I’m in the Twin Cites area..Minneapolis and St. Paul.
    Picking my block, head and cam and crank Wednesday.
    The caustic cleaned, magna-fluxed both.
    Took of three broken studs and repaired.
    Honed.
    Micro planned the head and block.
    Balanced the crank and cam in placed.
    Now where did I leave the oil pan?

The place I took it to does old Detroit iron and racing engines.
    Even though they do big outboards, the small size of the pistons required them to take longer.

Next stop Moyer for parts.

Check the national hot rod association.

Mark

Comment

• TheDude7B7
      • Sep 2019

If you don't mind me askin'. How much did all that cost? Would like to have as a comparison to NYC rates.

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.” - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

• tenders
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2007

I had my head resurfaced many years ago at The Engine Factory in Long Island City. They definitely knew what they were doing (they guessed the A4 head was from a marine forklift based on its design and alloy), and are still in business.

Comment

• Al Schober
          Afourian MVP
          • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Scuppers 2 View Post
          Even though they do big outboards, the small size of the pistons required them to take longer.
          The mention of the small size of things causing problems made me chuckle. Back in the '60s, I had a Fiat 600. I wanted to remove the ridge in the cylinders but found that the auto stuff was too big and the lawnmower stuff too small. I bit the bullet and took the block to the Fiat dealer, who told me to come back in an hour. After an hour, it wasn't ready - the high price machinist was removing the ridges with a half round file! Told them I could do that myself and took the block. Got that back together and it got me through two years of grad school. Gassed it up once a week, and got change back from my dollar! Gas was $.25/gal then!

Comment

Working...
          X