• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • smosh
    • Apr 2018

need help identifying a furler...

Hi all -

Thankfully, I've got the Atomic Four running kinda well (?) after time, effort, and money. Buuuuuut....there's always something....

I'm going to post this in a few forums to cast a wide net.

I need to figure out what brand this system is...I can't find any identifying marks on it and i'd like to find instructions or documentation for it.

When the yard hauled it last fall, they took down the headsail, even though they weren't supposed to. Because the boat was new to me, i wanted to take it down myself and document the process so i could put it back together in the spring. Anyway, now the yard is dragging it out, not getting around to repairing/installing. If i can figure it out, i'll do it. I can't figure out if it's a failed wire to rope halyard or what's missing.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

thanks.

Last edited by smosh; 07-05-2019, 08:14 AM.
    Stella Blue - a 1986 O'Day 272 with a Volvo Penta MD7A diesel

former owner of Euphoria - a 1971 Tartan 30 with an Atomic 4
  • smosh
    • Apr 2018

Stella Blue - a 1986 O'Day 272 with a Volvo Penta MD7A diesel

former owner of Euphoria - a 1971 Tartan 30 with an Atomic 4

Comment

• GregH
      Afourian MVP
      • Jun 2015

It looks like a Classic ProFurl to me. If you PM me I can email you an installation PDF and you can see how much it matches.

Cheers
      Greg
      1975 Alberg 30
      sigpic

Comment

• ndutton
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

Do you have a picture of the head swivel? The sheave purchase arrangement at the tack and the extrusion look very much like an older Cruising Designs Inc. (CDI) Reefer furler to me. Sorry for the poor quality picture, found it on the internet.
        Attached Files
        Neil
        1977 Catalina 30
        San Pedro, California
        prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
        Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• GregH
          Afourian MVP
          • Jun 2015

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
          Do you have a picture of the head swivel? The sheave purchase arrangement at the tack and the extrusion look very much like an older Cruising Designs Inc. (CDI) Reefer furler to me. Sorry for the poor quality picture, found it on the internet.
          With a look at the pic of the head, it looks like there is an internal halyard, which would lead me to revise my thinking to the CDI line as well... sorry no docs to help here.
          Greg
          1975 Alberg 30
          sigpic

Comment

• ndutton
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2009

I have an old CDI which is why this caught my attention. It's an interesting piece of gear. Mine does not use the jib halyard but instead has its own on a sheave inside the swivel head. The sail luff tape goes in one extrusion slot, the integral wire halyard comes down inside the other slot. Luff tension is achieved via the sheave purchase at the tack, the tension also compresses the extrusion sections together. The cool things about it are the jib halyard is left available for other sails like a downwind drifter or cruising spinnaker and the typical halyard wrap is eliminated.
            Neil
            1977 Catalina 30
            San Pedro, California
            prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
            Had my hands in a few others

Comment

Working...
            X