Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Introductions

#1   IP: 134.228.204.248
Old 05-21-2019, 02:32 PM

New, to me, boat with Atomic 4, and a 1968 Cal 34

Hey all, thanks for the forum to ask questions and what not.

Engine is running great. Starts easy when warm... First start still had fogging oil in carb.

Want to keep it running great. Blower does not work, need to fix that.
Appears to have starting of issue with exhaust. I am not happy with the gear box linkage. On day dream of adding a tiny little 6 gallon hot water heater. Currently in Great Lakes, plan to go to ocean with it, so fresh water cooling is on the project list. Wanted to hear the hive minds opinion on the oil filter upgrade...

In the spare parts kits, I found an abundance of new impellers. Several distributor caps, a new set of spark plugs, old spark plug wires. And a decommissioned electronic ignition... Engine appears to have the older prestolite distributor system.

Engine was very obviously maintained well. The engine room is so clean, and ordered, I could eat in there. A few electrical contacts have some corrosion on them, but nothing serious. There is some fraying on one wire connected to the starter.

Where would you guys start learning about this engine? I feel like, I should be slow and ordered with my projects, Do one project, test it out, do another project, etc.

My big fear is the things that I do not know, that I don't know.
  #2   IP: 67.176.201.200
Old 05-22-2019, 01:14 AM
Afourian MVP

Well, a lot of folks will pipe in to help but a few basics come to mind. I have a similar boat 1966 Morgan 34 with original A4 in Chicago. The prestolite distributor means you have an "early" model engine, pre 1970. Good starting place: not sure, but if you still have "points" in there [I do and a few other die hards] you have to gain the knowledge of doing an old school "tune up" - changing & setting points, changing rotor/cap/condenser, gap plugs etc. You also need to know how to find TDC and time the engine. You also have an die cast Zenith carburetor with an adjustable main jet, idle jet & idle adj screw. Also, regular oil changes are needed [no std filter] - recommended every 50 hrs, I recommend about every 20 and and layup with clean oil at season end. There is a little pump in the oil pan aft and under the carb which is difficult to use- work out a technique drawing it out of the dip stick hole. I like using a reliable electric fuel pump instead of the mechanical pump and really like the addition of a 0 to 15 psi fuel pressure gauge just prior to the carb. Also, you would do well drawing some gas out of the bottom 1 1/2 inches of the fuel tank [hopefully it is made of monel] and check for water [ethanol separation, intrusion, condensation]

Buy the Moyer manual from our host or at least find an ebay Universial A4 Operator/Maintenance Manual and a A4 Parts List booklet which has useful explosion diagrams.

I do not know your background/experience and engine set up but you will enjoy going through all the relevant forum threads and tech bulletins on the Moyer home page. All problems, issues etc have been seen and solved by some fine gurus.

Welcome and good luck.
  #3   IP: 71.38.87.228
Old 05-22-2019, 10:54 AM
Afourian MVP

STEP #1 - Get the MMI Service & Overhaul Manual here.

Everything else follows that step.

'Lone Ranger'

1978 RANGER 30
  #4   IP: 209.210.252.244
Old 05-30-2019, 02:37 PM

Your very first step; get that blower working! Seriously, don't start the engine again until you have a working blower.

Then ... get the Moyer manual and study the heck out of it. Get to know every component on that engine, make sure you have the tools to R&R any of them, make sure you've got ample spares (I would include a carb, starter, alternator and fuel pump in those spares). Get intimate with how to troubleshoot typical problems (this forum will highlight them all) and even try some of those troubleshooting techniques on your good running engine.

Then ... sail the hell out of that boat and have a blast this summer!

Yes, there's no shortage of improvements you can make to that engine, but regardless of how much $$$ you sink into it, you'll still have the occasional issue to deal with, and chances are you'll have to deal with it "out there". Knowledge and preparation are more important than doodads and gizmos.

Oh, did I mention, get that blower working STAT!
  #5   IP: 166.137.242.86
Old 05-30-2019, 04:08 PM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by wristwister View Post
Your very first step; get that blower working! Seriously, don't start the engine again until you have a working blower.

Then ...

...Oh, did I mention, get that blower working STAT!
+1 on that! The nose knows.

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"
  #6   IP: 138.207.172.243
Old 05-30-2019, 05:31 PM
Afourian MVP Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadnsky View Post
STEP #1 - Get the MMI Service & Overhaul Manual here.

Everything else follows that step.
This is sage advice. A thorough understanding of this marvelous engine can be gained from reading this manual. Our sponsor here offers wonderful videos of specific tasks as well, should you find yourself tackling one of those endeavors.

I haven't added the oil filter upgrade because I change the oil every season and don't put a lot of hours on the engine. If I were going to motor a lot, I'd look seriously at adding it. My most satisfying upgrades have been adding FWC, the MMI Stainless Steel Standpipe, and the EWDS (Early Warning and Diagnostics System). I highly recommend the EWDS for all A4 operators.

Whatever problems and questions you encounter will be met with enthusiasm here on this forum and the mellifluous Ken at MMI is just a phone call away.
Repowered with MMI A-4 2008