Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Exhaust System

#1   IP: 75.215.135.235
Old 10-27-2008, 02:22 PM

Rather Different Muffler Design

The Atomic 4 in my 1970 Islander 34 is coupled to a water lift muffler that uses 3 ports instead of the standard 2 port design. It is a stainless steel cube with an exhaust gas input, water input (directly from the exhaust manifold) and water/exhaust gas output. I have looked at the requirements of the two port mufflers and they seem to require a large dimension from the exhaust manifold down to the muffler location in order to inject water into a tee or elbow. The configuration of my boat does not allow for this large dimension so that is probably why the muffler is a unique design with the three ports so that inline water injection is not required.

The problem is that the muffler has developed several slow leaks at the welded corners of the assembly. In most of the comments I have read about leaky mufflers it is recommended to replace the muffler and not to bother with a repair attempt. In my case I have not been able to find a muffler resembling the one in my boat. So I have a few questions for the forum:

1. Is anyone familiar with this three port type of muffler design and if so is there anyone who manufactures the beast?

2. Is it possible to repair stainless steel mufflers to a satisfactory degree?

3. Has anyone contracted a welding shop to duplicate a one-off muffler and if so about how much should one expect to pay for a special construction?

Thanks in advance for any comments on this dilemma.

Bruce