Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Introductions

#1   IP: 67.253.8.181
Old 12-02-2018, 01:13 PM

Hello

I am a new owner of a Sabre 28 that had a complete refit in 2013 including a Moyer rebuilt Atomic 4. I sail out of Camden harbor on Penobscot Bay. Last summer was our first season with our boat, Silver Dollars, and we had some difficulties with the motor's electrical system and needed to replace the water pump. Hopefully, that is all behind us. My question for the group is whether I should have a tachometer installed. I know that it would provide me with extra information about the engine, but do you think it would be worth the expense to have it done?

Thanks for any input and I look forward to being part of this community.

Laurence Starr
  #2   IP: 50.34.133.248
Old 12-03-2018, 11:47 AM
Afourian MVP

Larry, welcome to the Atomic Four world. Yes, definitely get a tachometer. There is a reason why it is often the largest gauge on the boat. I can't imagine not having one, and not knowing the RPM.
A tachometer will help you understand your engine, which is the goal here. Other aids include vacuum gauge and fuel pressure gauge. All these, especially in combination with each other, make it easier to diagnose and avoid problems. The more information you can get, the more interesting your engine becomes. If you like that kind of thing. The expense is easily worth it, IMO. It all leads to peace of mind on the water.
  #3   IP: 32.211.28.40
Old 12-04-2018, 11:35 AM
Afourian MVP

I managed for many years without an installed tachometer. When I felt the need to know RPM, I used a clip-on dwell/tachometer. I consider one to be valuable for information and diagnosis, but not needed for daily display.
  #4   IP: 206.125.176.3
Old 12-04-2018, 01:26 PM
Afourian MVP

Another Hello!
I am in between these two guys but lean towards Al (although I have a tach).

My boat did not have a tach and had thousands of hours on it (I know the boat's history), but I added one soon after I acquired it. Like, capnward, some of us like to tweak and tune and the tach can be helpful there...but I agree I probably don't use it daily for every day cruising..I watch water temp and oil pressure more than anything. If I would ever come off the $$ and get the Moyer EDWS, then I could stop being a gauge hawk.
"Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
"Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic3231_6.gif
  #5   IP: 138.207.175.58
Old 12-04-2018, 02:54 PM
MMI Webmaster

Shawn, didn't you race a Colgate at one point? There is one sitting next to us on the hard, and she looks fast sitting on jackstands.

Bill
  #6   IP: 74.107.30.131
Old 12-04-2018, 08:50 PM
Afourian MVP

Bill, Affirmative. Laura and I (as crew) helped win the overall 2017 CBYRA LaBrot trophy in 2017 aboard "Easy Button", a Colgate 26. We have raced with David and Jacki, the owners, for years. Jacki and I used to race SMSA Junior Program Lasers back as teens.
Here are a couple pics, the one sailing is a pic of a pic in 2016 when we did the Governor's Cup. It was literally UPWIND all the way from Annapolis to the Potomac, and we did not put the kite up until the St.Mary's junction buoy..but we did win PHRF "C" that year, hanging on the rail like that all night long. We also got Boat of the Day at Southern Bay Race Week in 2016 (pic#2). Additionally, is a pic on the trailer, which you can tow behind a 1/2 ton Suburban, and see her sleek lines.

The boat was designed by Steve Colgate as a training boat, well built, but it is performance oriented..it will surf, but it won't fully plane like a sport boat. It has a deck stepped rig that two people can remove.

In 2018, David & Jacki have upgraded to a Melges 32. It is REALLY QUICK and fully powered up in 7-8 knots of breeze. It is nice to have friends that want race boats... We just need to help rig & de-rig and do some work on it here and there and bring a 6-pack and we get to race. Laura and I get our race fix, but don't have to foot the whole bill..they are really awesome friends.

Sorry for the hijack.
Attached Images

"Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
"Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic3231_6.gif

Last edited by sastanley; 12-04-2018 at 10:33 PM.