Trying to bench test.no spark wiring wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brandon_b
    • Mar 2019

Trying to bench test.no spark wiring wrong?

I got a early model atomic 4. Used been sitting for 4 year and fot it home i wired it up half fast to try to see if i get spark and to check compression.
    I ran a ground from battery to ground bolt on starter
    A positive to starter solenoid from battery as seen on diagram then I just decided to run a jumper wire from Battery positive to coil positive I have brand new coil points condenser I took the distributor cap off to watch the points see if I get Spark I get nothing am I missing something i jumped the motor wit jumper cable to starter solenoid and grounded to the block that was my way to get it to crank
  • ndutton
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

Your description of temporary wiring sounds to me like it should work. Things to check:
    • Voltage test between the small coil + post and an engine block ground. Should read battery voltage.
    • Proper dwell setting of the points. If they're not opening and closing you will get no spark.
    Neil
    1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Peter
      Afourian MVP
      • Jul 2016

concern

Hi,

If you leave that jumper from the battery to the coil on all the time, I would be concerned that you would burn out the coil.

Peter

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
        Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
        • Nov 2008

The points might not be conducting. They may need to be filed before they will conduct electricity.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• Sam
          Afourian MVP
          • Apr 2010

I'll second John's suggestion. My early A4 points need a couple of light passes with a point file or emery cloth every spring after just a 6 month lay up hibernation. After 4 years... probably needs it for sure.

Comment

Working...
          X