X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bob N
    • Jul 2005

Atomic 4-powered Snow Blower

Don, I think it would be a big seller here in No. Virginia.
  • baileyem
    • Jun 2006

From what I hear, Bob, anything that moves snow would be welcome in northern Virginia right about now.

Mike
    ( in balmy northern Wisconsin)

Comment

• Administrator
      MMI Webmaster
      • Oct 2004

Hmmm, how about something like the equivalent of a REALLY BIG Dremel tool, powered by an A4, with a variety of heads for whatever needs to be done? A snow blower head, a lawn mower (all right, a brush hog) head, a log splitter head, a hull polishing head, a slip dredging head, for those of you with a lot more friends than I have, a drink mixer head....

What else???

Bill
      Last edited by Administrator; 02-11-2010, 03:52 PM.

Comment

• ndutton
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

Bill,

You power a blender with an A4 and you'll surely have more friends, guaranteed!

I'm a proponent of multiple functions for the same equipment. How 'bout a power take-off from our auxiliary for the blender? The Catalina 30 has the engine under the galley so the location seems promising.
        Neil
        1977 Catalina 30
        San Pedro, California
        prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
        Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• baileyem
          • Jun 2006

Neil,

Do you really want to run your A4 in neutral that much?

Mike

Comment

• ndutton
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2009

Mike,
            No way!

It's about a 4 hour sail from San Pedro to Isthmus Cove, Catalina Island and probably 1/2 hour under power in the lee of the island to the mooring. As long as the engine's running - and in gear - the mate may as well put that time to good use before the mooring exercise, at least that's what I think.

A 4 hour sail to a Catalina mooring, steaks on the BBQ, sun setting behind the hills and fresh blended margaritas (it's a West Coast preference). What else can I say?
            Attached Files
            Last edited by ndutton; 02-11-2010, 08:38 PM.
            Neil
            1977 Catalina 30
            San Pedro, California

Comment

• rigspelt
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2008

Harumph.............
              1974 C&C 27

Comment

• sastanley
                Afourian MVP
                • Sep 2008

Neil,
                What is your solution for getting power from our auxiliary? Do you mean the pulley that runs the alternator?

I am all ears!! As you well know, we don't have the option to run it off the front of the flywheel, which is what I thought you originally meant.

I just shoveled 20" of snow off the boat on Tuesday...the cockpit scupper exits were almost under water!
                -Shawn
                "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
                "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                sigpic

Comment

• ndutton
                  Afourian MVP
                  • May 2009

OK, OK, first things first . . .

Rigs - well said, don't ever lose your gift of language. Maybe Bill should hold a succinct or brevity contest. Winner would get 1 spark plug.

Shawn,
                  My comment was just me being a wise guy - again - but actually Bill has an interesting thought. Although on a much smaller scale than he mentioned, a flexible shaft drive is readily available from the tool industry (pic of a cheap-O attached) which would encompass all the available attachments. So, how to drive it off the A4?

If we had a mechanical tach drive we'd be home free. Since we don't, it seems we have two choices: the front of the engine or the aux. drive. Power take-offs have already been done in the FWC systems (Moyer or Indigo). Adapting a flex shaft using either of these concepts shouldn't be too challenging. The ability to disengage the shaft drive would be desirable, maybe with a simple electric clutch like automotive air conditioners.

Believe me, I'm not advocating such a system. My preference is to keep my A4 simple.

As far as a blender goes, if the engine's running anyway why not use 12V power supplied/replenished by the alternator? You know me, Mr. Mondo alternator. Well, that applies to my blender too, it's a 64 oz. Margarator, AC/DC. Rock on, Angus.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by ndutton; 02-12-2010, 03:48 AM.
                  Neil
                  1977 Catalina 30
                  San Pedro, California

Comment

• ArtJ
                    • Sep 2009

How about some really essential - like a Atomic 4 powered nail filer and toothbrush combined?

Comment

• baileyem
                      • Jun 2006

Boy, every time I think that I have it all, someone comes up with a new idea....
                      The thing I really need is the mate to run all this neat stuff while I do the sailing.....preferably one that doesn't get seasick.....now if we can just get the A4 to overcome seasickness......

Comment

• ArtJ
                        • Sep 2009

What about a back-pack weed wacker? maybe could even power a ultra (lite?)

Comment

• Administrator
                          MMI Webmaster
                          • Oct 2004

Can someone think of a method to use the engine to help raise an anchor?

How about providing a deck washdown capability?

Bill

Comment

• ndutton
                            Afourian MVP
                            • May 2009

Regarding windlass operation, I'm thinking the complexities of routing mechanical energy to the bow make this approach a chore. Electrics with a sufficient alternator (here I go again) would be my preference.

A washdown is intriguing though. As stated earlier, the power take-off systems already exist and some way to disengage would be cool. As an additional benefit, the intake could be fitted with a Y valve with the extra pickup in the bilge. We could do that now with our raw water pump, hmmmm.

It seems we're exploring systems that would require additional run time in neutral, exactly what we're trying to avoid.
                            Neil
                            1977 Catalina 30
                            San Pedro, California

Comment

• sastanley
                              Afourian MVP
                              • Sep 2008

Neil,
                              you are right, however, the engine is likely already running when hauling the anchor...then after it is hauled and you are quietly putzing away from your anchorage, you'd have plenty of leftover power to run a saltwater pump!

You mentioned the mech tach option...isn't there a plug in the auxiliary drive that you can insert a gear for a tach or whatever else you wanted to drive off the aux drive?

I probably shouldn't engage you in the blender discussion..if my wife sees it she'll want me to get one for our boat!
                              -Shawn
                              "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
                              "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X