Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Troubleshooting

#1   IP: 104.136.129.204
Old 08-22-2019, 05:13 PM

Seawater fouling spark plugs

Hello All, I am looking at possibly buying a new to me 1972 Pearson 35 with an Atomic 4 in it. I am told that it runs, but next time you try to start it, the spark plugs are fouled with seawater. I would appreciate any insight as to what the problem could be and whether it would be worth fixing. Thank you.
  #2   IP: 207.118.20.35
Old 08-23-2019, 10:29 AM
Afourian MVP

When you tried to start it, was the salt water intake open? If so, did you crank it for a long time? Sounds to me like another case of cranking for more than a few seconds in an attempt to start it, with an open valve from the salt water intake, leading to water going backwards from the exhaust into the cylinders . This can happen with some kinds of exhaust arrangements. If it doesn't start within five seconds, stop cranking and check for spark, fuel flow and compression. If spark and compression are good, you may have to remove and disassemble the carburetor, clean it and inspect the jets, replace fuel filters, and reassemble with new gaskets. Check to see that the choke is closing and opening fully. Check your crankcase oil to see if it is milky. If so, you need to change oil at least three times. Remove the plugs, let the cylinders dry out, and put some oil in there, replace plugs. and crank it with the water turned off to lubricate the cylinders and pistons. This is what I have learned from reading this forum, and I think I have it right, although I have never seen saltwater on the plugs. Others with more knowledge will be along shortly. Yes, it is worth fixing. It does not need to be replaced with a diesel, or an outboard.
  #3   IP: 104.136.129.204
Old 08-23-2019, 11:08 AM

capnward Thank you for your reply. I spent the morning calling marine mechanics in the Port Charlotte, FL area where the boat is located. I can't find anyone who will even look at it. One guy just laughed at me. I may just have to hang an outboard on the transom so I can get the boat from Port Charlotte, FL to Daytona where I live. Then I can take my time and see if it can be fixed.
  #4   IP: 97.93.70.7
Old 08-23-2019, 07:24 PM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

Thanked 1,289 Times in 839 Posts
If we could identify how the water is coming in there just may be a quick patch/fix to get you going.

Don't forget the trouble of mounting an OB and the expense as well as time.

There are a few ways for the water to get in. over cranking with the water valve on, the aniti syphon valve failing, a leaky head gasket, breached manifold or cracked head. None of these are particularly difficult compared to getting another engine mounted and working.

What are your skill levels mechanically?

Food for thought?

Dave Neptune
  #5   IP: 107.77.97.52
Old 08-24-2019, 12:13 AM
Afourian MVP

Thumbs up

Sail,

So, I guess since you bought it, you must have answered your own question"is it worth buying"(paraphrase).

Anyway, sounds like the PO (previous owner) may not have known how to live with an A-4.

Give the brain trust here a thorough explanation of symptoms and perhaps some photos. The more detail, the better diagnosis. There is nothing that can't be fixed. The big question is like you asked, "is this worth it". The answer is; "probably".

I like your idea: Get the boat towed to you happy spot and start sussing the prob in a calculating relaxed venue. Then take each problem and start a forum thread for it. Start with... starting procedures!.

Oh, BTW, marina mechanics are rather disrespected by me and some others. Not prejudiced exactly, just experienced with typically poor results.

Join in the fun and learn to speak Atomic like a pro.

Welcome,

Russ

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"
  #6   IP: 69.158.71.200
Old 08-24-2019, 07:43 PM

One more thing to examine

I had water in my A4 oil end of last season. Discoverd to my horror just after haulout while doing the winter oil change (Lake Ontario).
Water pump shaft and bearings were shot and letting in lake water into the oil...
Water pump had been dripping for some time from what I now know as a "weeping hole",
now I know why it's called that.
  #7   IP: 107.77.97.52
Old 08-25-2019, 01:34 PM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by splashlog View Post
I had water in my A4 oil end of last season. Discoverd to my horror just after haulout while doing the winter oil change (Lake Ontario).
Water pump shaft and bearings were shot and letting in lake water into the oil...
Water pump had been dripping for some time from what I now know as a "weeping hole",
now I know why it's called that.
Good point. I always forget that one.

Just a minute, I though a weeping hole was the local pub(?)

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"
  #8   IP: 104.136.129.204
Old 08-25-2019, 01:55 PM

Thanks to all who replied

I have decided that although the boat I was looking at was a steal, I would rather spend a bit more and purchase something that works. Given the choice of sailing or becoming an Atomic 4 mechanic it wasn't a hard decision. It looks like there are many boats in my price range that have Atomic 4's so I will most likely need to learn as much as I can about them. This forum seems like a great place with great people. I think I will read and learn as much as I can. Thanks again to you all.
  #9   IP: 207.118.20.35
Old 08-25-2019, 04:18 PM
Afourian MVP

Vanilla shake, anyone?

That milky oil thing happened to me a couple of months ago. I feared a blown head gasket, but compression was good. Thought it might be exhaust water coming back into the cylinders, but engine ran ok. Both seals were shot, and the shaft was grooved at the seals. See photo. Obvious source of the milky oil. Sorry about the photo being too big and rotated. I had the Moyer rebuild kit ready to go, and it was fixed in a few hours. I had done the identical repair four years before. Then, water did not go into crankcase, but engine overheated from lack of coolant flow. Too much water was getting past the water seal and into the bilge instead of the engine, but the oil seal had not been washed out yet.
You, too, can learn to speak Atomic like us amateurs. A lot of 'professional mechanics' think our engines became obsolete 40 years ago, and should have been replaced by diesels long ago. Let them live with the noise and the smell to go with the better mileage. Give me a smooth, quiet A4 with low compression that can run all day at low RPM, over a loud diesel that needs to hammer away at high RPM. I would rather be alert to the smell of gasoline fumes, than live constantly with the nausea-inducing diesel odor that permeates everything in the boat. But that's just me.
This Atomic 4 stuff is not rocket science, and the resources available to you with Moyer Marine and this forum are unmatched. Personally, I have (mostly) enjoyed learning how to take care of my engine. I sail happier with the feeling I can deal with it. But it has been an education.
I understand wanting to buy a boat with an engine that works, so you can go sailing, blissfully unaware of potential engine problems that will occur. I was that way once. The A4 you posted about was probably not far from working just fine. Good Luck finding a boat with an engine that you won't need to learn to work on, eventually. I bet the mechanic who laughed at you would like to sell you one, and then work on it for you.
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to capnward For This Useful Post:
lat 64 (08-26-2019), Sam (08-26-2019)

Tags
fouling, plugs, Seawater, spark