1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• indigo
      • Jun 2007

Fuses?

I think there was at least one little glass tubular fuse on the PCB but I cannot say for sure.

+1 on Potting

Tom

Comment

• capnward
        Afourian MVP
        • Aug 2012

Thanks for the photos. Scary stuff. The 'PC board' must be where the positive leads to various locations disperse from a central board. I have something like that, but water can't drip down onto it, since it is attached to the underside of the deck, which is plywood and less likely to condensate than fiberglass. Also, in winter I keep a heater going inside the boat to reduce condensation. What I want to know is, if there was a torch on the vent hose while it was burning, why did it stop, if there was vapor pressure in the tank to keep supplying vapor to the flame? I would have thought that the flame would draw vapor out from the tank. I can only guess that the vapor pressure wasn't enough to keep supplying the flame, and/or there wasn't enough air in the hose for the flame to travel down it. But on further thought, the nature of flame is it needs air at the base, and the hose prevented that, since it didn't burn fast enough. Also the flame would not draw vapor out from the tank unless the fill was open enough to let air in. Anyway, close call. It took me awhile to get 'potting' to mean fuses or breakers. Hadn't heard that one before.
        Last edited by capnward; 08-09-2019, 11:51 AM. Reason: more thinking

Comment

• ndutton
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2009

Originally posted by capnward View Post
          It took me awhile to get 'potting' to mean fuses or breakers. Hadn't heard that one before.
          Nope, that's not what I meant by potting. Using the EWDS as an example, the electronics bundle is placed in a plastic enclosure open on one side and filled with a catalyzed resin to secure the components from vibration, atmospheric conditions and moisture. The finished EWDS module resembles a small black brick but there is plenty going on inside. Encapsulated or potted as described I'm confident the EWDS module would pass an ignition proof test (propane environment).

Had Tom's circuit board (I assume a prototype of some sort) been potted I expect it could have been submerged without ill effect.
          Neil
          1977 Catalina 30
          San Pedro, California
          prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
          Had my hands in a few others

Comment

Working...
          X