X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sailrite
    • Sep 2015

Machine shop in Baltimore / Annapolis area

I'm looking for a machine shop in Baltimore or Annapolis. I'm going to try my hand at rebuilding my atomic 4. I would like to have it Magnifluxed and hot tanked along with other machining if necessary.

Thanks
  • Al Schober
    Afourian MVP
    • Jul 2009

Last rebuild I did, I asked my local auto shop (an independent that I trust) who they used for their cylinder head work. Took the bits and pieces to them, discussed the work, and turned them loose. They did a fine job. They even installed hardened inserts in the exhaust valve seats without asking me - no extra charge.
    Take pictures as you go - we like pictures.

Comment

• Sailrite
      • Sep 2015

Thanks. I'll take lots of pictures.
      I have a 27 Catalina . I'm also considering pulling the engine out of the boat myself. Has anyone had experience doing this?

Comment

• Administrator
        MMI Webmaster
        • Oct 2004

[YOUTUBE]-YmtKKGj0eI[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]-AXTirTQ5d8[/YOUTUBE]

I think there are others buried somewhere in the forum.

Bill
        Last edited by Administrator; 09-25-2015, 02:43 PM.

Comment

• Al Schober
          Afourian MVP
          • Jul 2009

Interesting videos - they're lucky they didn't bend their boom.
          Recommend taking the engine weight directly to the main halyard. Just use the boom to 'outhaul' the lift point - tighten the outhaul to move the engine aft and out of the companionway. A strap will hold the halyard or tackle close to the boom so the engine can be swung over the side under control.

Comment

• Sailrite
            • Sep 2015

Has anyone taken the motor apart and just lifted the pieces out of the boat? How much does just the block weigh?
            The yard I'm going to take the boat to charges $180 to lift the engine out. Might be worth it. Instead of dropping the engine in the drink and bending the boom.

Comment

• hanleyclifford
              Afourian MVP
              • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Sailrite View Post
              Has anyone taken the motor apart and just lifted the pieces out of the boat? How much does just the block weigh?
              The yard I'm going to take the boat to charges $180 to lift the engine out. Might be worth it. Instead of dropping the engine in the drink and bending the boom.
              If the yard will hook your engine and plop it in the back of your truck for 180...take the deal. Even if you strip the engine to the block that still leaves the crank, pistons, oil pan and you making a mess in the boat.

Comment

• joe_db
                Afourian MVP
                • May 2009

I always remove the manifold and starter before moving the engine. That gets it down around maybe 300 pounds or so I think, maybe less. I know in my younger days two of us could pick the engine up - barely.
                My boat has easy access for the main halyard, so I can do it DIY. $180 isn't a bad price, I would think about that too.
                Joe Della Barba
                Coquina
                C&C 35 MK I
                Maryland USA

Comment

• Sailrite
                  • Sep 2015

It has been my observation over the years that, if you take a carburetor (or a Volkswagen engine) apart and put it together enough times, you will eventually have two of them.
                  "Car Talk"

I wonder if this applies to A4s?

Comment

• Al Schober
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Jul 2009

I know it applies to the A4 engine. I think there's a survey here someplace about how many spare engines folks have. Personally, I moved 13 month ago, so a lot of the 'pieces' went away. I'm now down to one complete spare engine, plus some extra carbs, fuel pumps, distributors, etc. All the extra 'iron' went to the scrap yard - at least the stuff Hanley didn't want.
                    At times I think it also applies to the whole boat!

Comment

• sastanley
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Sep 2008

sailrite, Welcome to the forum. Hanley has good advice, and you are already learning..or have experience..especially if you know old VW motors.

I agree with Hanley that the $180 is worth the cost. However, there are lots of us in the Chesapeake area that never mind helping. Ajax is on the West River, there are a few on the Eastern Shore and I am an hour-ish south of Annapolis. Might be a fun Saturday project if we are not too busy with our own boats.

The A-4 weighs around 310 lbs if I have my facts straight from cncphotoalbum.com. I think that is a full motor weight. The manifold and starter are about 15-20 each, the head maybe 30??, but it is still heavy, even if you strip all the stuff off of it.

Whatever path your choose we can help you out!
                      Last edited by sastanley; 09-29-2015, 10:35 PM.
                      -Shawn
                      "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
                      "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                      sigpic

Comment

• Sailrite
                        • Sep 2015

I agree with Hanley that the $180 is worth the cost. However, there are lots of us in the Chesapeake area that never mind helping. Ajax is on the West River, there are a few on the Eastern Shore and I am an hour-ish south of Annapolis. Might be a fun Saturday project if we are not too busy with our own boats.

Thanks I haven't pulled the boat out yet. I will in the next week or so.

I love fixing old stuff. I used to have International Harvester Scouts. Hence the name of my boat "Scout". I used the decal from the truck for the lettering.
                        I also fixed up old Lambretta scooters and early model honda cb motorcycles.

Talking to people that know what they are doing is always a great help.

Thanks again, and i may take you up on that and if not that at least some advice.
                        Last edited by Sailrite; 09-30-2015, 08:12 PM.

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                          Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                          • Jan 2007

Sailrite, was the quote for in and out, many are. Also many yards will only charge a small amount extra for an IN&OUT as opposed to "one way".

Might be worth asking and is probably cheaper than cleaners, a chiropractor and liquid bread.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• Sailrite
                            • Sep 2015

I talked to the marina and they told me that its $180.00 plus $30.00. Not really sure why they just say $210.00.
                            Anyway i'm going to pull the engine myself. I started to take everything i can take off off. I'm having truble with the head. I can't seam to get it off. I can only raise it about a 1/4 inch. I think its jamming on the studs.

I'm sure I'm going to have lots of questions. I'm not sure if i should start another thread?? I did find a machine shop. Really nice guy. Kind of old school though.

Comment

• Sailrite
                              • Sep 2015

Here are some pictures.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X