Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > General Interest

#1   IP: 69.232.208.215
Old 05-12-2010, 07:44 PM

Teak drink holder for Edson Pedestal

I recently made a drink holder using teak to fit my Edson pedestal. I thought I would share with the good people of this forum.

Background:

1. I was already opening up the pedestal to add the clutch control and hence removing the compass and the engine control assy
2. I was also going to be putting in a new cable to the clutch control since the old one for the A4 was too thick and unnecessary for my new diesel

Given that I was doing the above and would have to make the adjustments for the clutch and throttle levers, I thought it was a good time to make the drink holder.

I did not have any fixed drink holders in the cockpit, this drink holder that would fit just below the engine control assy would be a good addition. It would be out of the way from the traffic in the cockpit and reasonably close for the crew not to mention the helmsperson.

Fabrication:

Refer to the attached photos. I used a 3/4 teak wood. Here are the high level steps I followed, more or less in the right sequence:

1. Having decided that I would have 4 holes, 2 on each side and based on the size of my steering wheel, I decided to keep the total width of the holder to about 24"
2. I traced the bottom of the engine control assy in the center so as to know where to drill and mill.
3. I used the diameter of a beer bottle and a soft drink can as a sample and decided the size of the holes. Smaller one on the outside.
4. I used a scrolling jigsaw to cut the center portion. This was difficult and needed a lot of creativity
5. I used holesaws to cut the holes for the drinks
6. Since I did not want to keep the whole 3/4" of width of the teak (worried that it would mess with the distance available for the engine controls), I decided to mill the center portion down to 1/2". This was very difficult to do with the tools in my garage. I don't have a router so I put the router bit I had on a benchtop drillpress and used that to mill the center portion.
7. I oversized the holes for the 4 engine control mounting bolts so that they could allow for slight discrepancy in the measurements.
8. I used another curved router bit on my drill press and curved the edges of the drink holder. Caution: This is tricky. I will suggest caution and rather that people use a proper router, or just do it by hand. We don't need too much of a curve here, just enough to take the edge off, in my opinion
9. For the bails I used a 1/8" solid brass rod and bent it to the required shape using a simple benchtop vise. The bails I fixed to the underside using a simple SS screw and a SS flat washer. Before fitting the bails I used a Dremel type rotary tool to create small groove so the end of the bail where the screw was attached would stay put and not slide from side to side. the bails were finally attached after varnish was done and complete.
10. After the drink holder was structurally complete, I sanded it nicely and applied 5 coats of Ephiphanes varnish. People can use any varnish they are used to. I have used Epiphanes on my combing and like the finish it provides on the teak.
11. Once the varnish was complete and dry, I attached the bails on the underside.
12. The drink holder was fitted first on the pedestal, then went the engine control assy ( the cylindrical white thingy that holds the control levers), then went the 1/4-20 screws. Since I had replaced my old engine control assy with a new one (slightly bigger height), and the added 1/2" of width for the drink holder, I had to use longer screws. In my case I went for 4" screws. These I got from Svendsens. You can easily get them from a HW store. You will need to use SS screws of course.
13. Then followed the connections of the engine control cable, cable holder, and their adjustments. The adjustment instructions are provided by Edson and are quite detailed. That is a topic of another note, so I will not details those here in the drink holder fabrication section.
14. Lastly I fitted the compass and the compass cover. Since I had the compass out (and also because I dropped the light bulb in the pedestal!) I opted to go for the newer Led lights. I got those from Richtie, through Svendsens.

I really love how the drink holder turned out. Let me have your comments and also questions if any. Cheers.
Attached Images

Last edited by SeaFever; 05-12-2010 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Syntax
  #2   IP: 216.115.121.253
Old 05-12-2010, 08:52 PM
Afourian MVP

Tea for the Tillerman

Hey, nice.
If you think abut it long enough, you can justify this kind of thing as a safety feature.
I mean, that drink in your hand means your not hanging on. Also no bottles or cans rolling around in the cockpit floor when the boom jibes and the captain is throwing his/her orders about.
I have a tiller so I have to come up with something else, but I like this off-topic idea.
Actually the drink holder does have four cylinders so it's not that far off.

I say, pass the pims. what ho, pip pip.

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"
  #3   IP: 64.231.104.181
Old 05-12-2010, 09:32 PM
Afourian MVP

I'll second that!

Administrator, can this go on the wish list???
  #4   IP: 24.152.131.220
Old 05-20-2010, 12:15 AM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,425 Posts
SeaFever,
Very nicely done!
prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
Had my hands in a few others
  #5   IP: 142.68.243.242
Old 05-20-2010, 05:10 AM
Afourian MVP

Beautiful job. One of those tasks that looks perfectly shipshape when done, hiding the huge amount of work and detail that goes into the planning and execution.