• Show
Clear All
  • ArtJ
    • Sep 2009

Transmission neutral redesign?

Is it possible to modify the design implementation of neutral to allow for
    running in neutral for extended periods of time without wearing something
    out in the transmission?

This is useful for those who wish to operate accessories such as refrigerators.
  • rpowers
    • Oct 2007

Why is running in neutral bad?

What parts get worn when running in neutral?

I commonly idle the engine in neutral for 10 minutes to charge the battery.

Is this a bad practice? I suppose I could shift to forward if that is a better practice.

Advice?

Comment

• ArtJ
      • Sep 2009

According to Don, lengthy running in neutral can cause transmission wear.
      I do not know the exact details. I don't think 10 minutes is a issue though

Comment

• rjm
        • Dec 2008

As I under stand it the main shaft is turning when the motor is running but the tranny is just sitting their ,guess it might wear on the clutch plate but doubt it..

Comment

• ArtJ
          • Sep 2009

Perhaps Don Moyer could shed some light on the wear mechanism?

Comment

• Don Moyer
            • Oct 2004

Art,

The two sets of small pinion gears which provide reverse when the large brake band tightens around the gear cage assembly are what wear when operating the engine in neutral - and of course - in reverse. If you examine these gears you can sort of get the idea that they were not intended for continuous duty.

True (unlike when operating in reverse), there is really no load on the gears in neutral but there is non-the-less some wear on the gears and shafts on which they're mounted when spinning them for hours at a time.

I view operating in neutral like any other bad habit; a little now and then isn't going to have much of a negative impact, but operating several hours every weekend to charge your batteries will definitely result in some wear and will no doubt increase the typical whining sound you hear in reverse.

Don

Comment

• ArtJ
              • Sep 2009

Thanks for the clarification Don

I don't know what the requirements of a small freezer drawing 2 or 3amps would be, but (hopefully) it wouldn't require more than a hour a day in neutral charging.
              Since I don't anticipate using it except for a couple weeks (14 days) of cruising per
              year, hopefully the wear would not be excessive?

Comment

• ArtJ
                • Sep 2009

Don A question please

Currently I have a 60 amp alternator. Does upgrading to a 100 Amp
                alternator sufficiently and practically decrease the charge time, and resulting engine run time inneutral? Or is 60 amps probably all the deep cycle batteries can absorb?
                Thanks

Art

Comment

• Don Moyer
                  • Oct 2004

Art,

There are several extremely capable Forum contributors who will hopefully step in to give you a more complete answer than I'm able to provide. In the meantime, the short answer is that the amp rating of an alternator does not in of itself determine charging rate.

Regulators will control the alternator output to meet the demands of the DC system, most notably of course, the condition of the batteries. This means that the output of a 55 amp alternator and a 120 amp alternator will be essentially the same in most normal circumstances. The higher output of larger alternators will only kick in if high draw electrical equipment is used (air conditioning, radar, anchor chain windless, etc).

Don

Comment

• ArtJ
                    • Sep 2009

Thanks Don

You have confirmed what I suspected. The 60 amp is fine for my use
                    with a small refrigerator.

Comment

• lat 64
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Oct 2008

oops

I am simply glad I read this post. I will now change my habits.

I Think the best solution to long battery charging and running a fridge is a separate genset. The Honda 1000 eu is on my wish list. it will cure a plethora of shortcomings about my boat for around $800. I have used these little gems and they are everything they advertise. Hey it's a Honda!

r.
                      sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

• ArtJ
                        • Sep 2009

Originally posted by lat 64 View Post
                        I am simply glad I read this post. I will now change my habits.

I Think the best solution to long battery charging and running a fridge is a separate genset. The Honda 1000 eu is on my wish list. it will cure a plethora of shortcomings about my boat for around $800. I have used these little gems and they are everything they advertise. Hey it's a Honda!

r.
                        Does anyone make a DC generator. I, myself, would prefer DC since the refrig and
                        TV's I have are DC and only used a couple weeks per year. Also, using
                        AC may cause issues with thru hull galvanic action being accelerated.

What experiences have people who use refrigerators /freezers with
                        the atomic 4 had?

Comment

• pearson coyote
                          • Jun 2009

transmission neutral redesign

When I am not plugged in at the marina we will use one of the small Honda generators. It works great and will run for seems like days on a tank of fuel. When it's not being used it tucks neatly down below adjacent to the engine and securely held in place while sails are up. Before I moved the generator to the boat I used to run the boat about an hour a week (mostly in neutral) when I could find neutral that is.

Comment

• ArtJ
                            • Sep 2009

Does this Honda generator supply DC?
                            Otherwise would need to power a battery charger as well.
                            (I have no use for AC other than charging battery)

Thanks

Art

Comment

• ArtJ
                              • Sep 2009

Originally posted by pearson coyote View Post
                              When I am not plugged in at the marina we will use one of the small Honda generators. It works great and will run for seems like days on a tank of fuel. When it's not being used it tucks neatly down below adjacent to the engine and securely held in place while sails are up. Before I moved the generator to the boat I used to run the boat about an hour a week (mostly in neutral) when I could find neutral that is.
                              Isn't it good to run the engine a hour a week or so just to keep it operating
                              properly and dispell moisture?

With regard to refrigerators, when on a cruise and no shore power ( mooring)
                              does anyone have experience with how often to run a small refrig/freezer
                              and how often the batteries need to be recharged. Can small freezer run
                              4 or 5 hours on battery alone? then recharge batteries?.
                              What cycle time is to be expected?

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X