X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Iamjared
    • Feb 2016

Columbia 34

Hello I just purchased my first boat a Columbia 34 Mk I I. It has a old Palmer 60 in it that needs about 1200 worth of work. I was considering swiping it for a atomic 4. Has anyone done this, if so any advice??

Thanks in advance

Jared
  • Ajax
    • Jul 2011

I haven't done it, but the plan sounds solid. It has a couple big upsides:

1. Whether new or used, an Atomic-4 will cost you less than a new, Beta diesel.
    2. You don't have to replace your fuel tank.

It would seem to me that your main issue is simply mounting the Atomic-4 so that the shaft entry/exit angle matches what the P60 was.

I found a link that might help you. These guys seem to have a lot of parts for the P60. You could either rebuild your Palmer or perhaps they would buy your Palmer, which would help defray the cost of an Atomic-4 refit.

Comment

• Administrator
      MMI Webmaster
      • Oct 2004

Originally posted by Iamjared View Post
      Hello I just purchased my first boat a Columbia 34 Mk I I. It has a old Palmer 60 in it that needs about 1200 worth of work. I was considering swiping it for a atomic 4. Has anyone done this, if so any advice??

Thanks in advance

Jared
      Hi, Jared, and welcome!

I suspect there are a bunch of lurkers here, wondering exactly what your signs and symptoms were, and exactly what work you were told had to be done. There are a number of real pros on this forum, and their insights might be helpful before you go off the high board with an engine swap.

Bill

Comment

• Dave Neptune
        Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
        • Jan 2007

Fix it perhaps

Jared, in all honesty I think a self done resurrection may also be done if you have any skills with tools at all.

In all honesty the Palmer is a stronger engine than the A-4 just not as much available. Any of the diagnostics here will work on most any engine and the Palmer is quite similar.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
          Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
          • Nov 2008

Agree With Bill

Originally posted by Iamjared View Post
          Jared
          Who says it needs $1200 worth of work? What work needs to be done?
          Unless there are issues I'm not understanding IMO it would be cheaper and easier to fix the Palmer than swap engines.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• lat 64
            Afourian MVP
            • Oct 2008

Is your boat the old full-keel style or the fin-keel with a vee-drive?

Welcome.
            sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

• hanleyclifford
              Afourian MVP
              • Mar 2010

Originally posted by JOHN COOKSON View Post
              Who says it needs $1200 worth of work? What work needs to be done?
              Unless there are issues I'm not understanding IMO it would be cheaper and easier to fix the Palmer than swap engines.

TRUE GRIT
              Yeah, please describe the work in more detail. Is the $1200 a quote from a boatyard? Does it include both labor and parts? Switching engine types is always more work and money than you think, and should only be contemplated in the case of serious foundation issues in an engine coupled with parts availability problems. (BTDT)

Comment

• ndutton
                Afourian MVP
                • May 2009

Russ, I'm pretty sure the Mk II designation is the fin keeled sloop, V-drive engine, TBD by Jared for confirmation.

Jared, I have to ask and some of the guys know why, what year is your Columbia?
                Neil
                1977 Catalina 30
                San Pedro, California
                prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                Had my hands in a few others

Comment

Working...
                X