X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Graham
    • Mar 2016

what fuses to use - instrument panel?

Hello, I've recently replaced all my gauges on a C&C30 sailboat to with ISSPro gauges (Oil Pressure / Temp / Volts / Gass). I do not know what fuse I should use to the main ignition switch and then the 4 fuses to use going to each gauge. Is there a good standard of practice here?

This is the style of gauge I'm using: http://isspro.mybigcommerce.com/r8620/

Thanks!
  • edwardc
    Afourian MVP
    • Aug 2009

Contrary to popular belief, the fuses are there to protect the wiring, not the devices. The fuse should be sized according to the smallest gauge wire that is in that particular circuit. Its ok to go smaller, but never larger.

Typical sizes are:
    12 awg 20 amps
    14 awg 15 amps
    16 awg 7.5 amps
    @(^.^)@ Ed
    1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
    with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• Graham
      • Mar 2016

Originally posted by edwardc View Post
      Contrary to popular belief, the fuses are there to protect the wiring, not the devices. The fuse should be sized according to the smallest gauge wire that is in that particular circuit. Its ok to go smaller, but never larger.

Typical sizes are:
      12 awg 20 amps
      14 awg 15 amps
      16 awg 7.5 amps
      Thanks Edward, that makes sense. Appreciate the help!

Comment

• ndutton
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

Although perfectly fine if you want to do it that way, a fuse for each gauge is certainly not common and could be considered excessive. Notice that your car isn't fused that way, it has a single fuse protecting the instrument cluster. Please consider whether or not you'll realistically attain greater protection with multiple fuses while at the same time know that every connection is another failure risk point.
        Neil
        1977 Catalina 30
        San Pedro, California
        prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
        Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Graham
          • Mar 2016

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
          Although perfectly fine if you want to do it that way, a fuse for each gauge is certainly not common and could be considered excessive. Notice that your car isn't fused that way, it has a single fuse protecting the instrument cluster. Please consider whether or not you'll realistically attain greater protection with multiple fuses while at the same time know that every connection is another failure risk point.
          Thanks, good point. I just rewired it the same way it originally was. I'll reconsider this setup as I agree it may just be adding more points of failure.

Comment

• toddster
            • Aug 2011

I think the power (and illumination) wires to the gauges are usually daisy-chained, are they not? So there should be a single lead back to the bus. (Hard to tell on my boat, since so much stuff has been scabbed onto them over the years.)

Comment

• Graham
              • Mar 2016

Originally posted by toddster View Post
              I think the power (and illumination) wires to the gauges are usually daisy-chained, are they not? So there should be a single lead back to the bus. (Hard to tell on my boat, since so much stuff has been scabbed onto them over the years.)
              I'm going to have a closer look on the weekend and confirm how it's wired. I do know there are 1 main fuse and 4 secondary fuses running the 4 gauges.

Comment

• toddster
                • Aug 2011

Photos might be interesting.

Comment

• joe_db
                  Afourian MVP
                  • May 2009

Fusing each gauge would be rather unusual. I have one breaker for the entire ignition system and individual fuses for the blower, water pumps, and fuel pumps.
                  Joe Della Barba
                  Coquina
                  C&C 35 MK I
                  Maryland USA

Comment

Working...
                  X