• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • C3058
    Frequent Contributor
    • Sep 2010

Oil Leak From Pan Plug

Hi, I have a substantial oil leak from the pan plug below the carb. This seems to contradict what i read elsewhere that the oil level is below the plug. I plan to suck the oil out of the dipstick hole, somehow remove the square headed plug (not sure if i can get a socket to fit it, and my adjustable wrench doesn't get down there), re-tap the hole to clean it up and install a new hex headed plug.

Any advice or ideas on how to get the old plug out and whether the re-tap and new plug will fix it?

Thanks,
    re-manufactured A-4 in 1983 C30
  • hanleyclifford
    Afourian MVP
    • Mar 2010

It is most unusual for that plug to leak. Are you certain that there is no crack in the pan? I would proceed cautiously removing the square headed plug with a twelve point socket. It is also possible that the oil is leaking at a gasket nearby.

Comment

• roadnsky
      Afourian MVP
      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by C3058 View Post
      Hi, I have a substantial oil leak from the pan plug below the carb. This seems to contradict what i read elsewhere that the oil level is below the plug. I plan to suck the oil out of the dipstick hole, somehow remove the square headed plug (not sure if i can get a socket to fit it, and my adjustable wrench doesn't get down there), re-tap the hole to clean it up and install a new hex headed plug.

Any advice or ideas on how to get the old plug out and whether the re-tap and new plug will fix it?
      No need to drain the oil before removing that plug.
      It's above the oil level in your engine UNLESS you're drastically overfilled...

You CAN get a socket or ratchet on there and if you remove the carb it's even easier.
      I can't recall the size, but it's a standard SAE wrench.
      If the plug IS leaking, it may just be too loose or maybe cross-threaded.
      Otherwise, as Hanley said, it's much more likely that the leak is coming from a gasket.
      First place to look is the Valve Cover.
      Second, the Mechanical Fuel pump cover.

I left you a document to read about oil leak sources on your other post...
      -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
      sigpic
      1978 RANGER 30

Comment

Working...
      X