• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Skywalker
    • Jan 2012

Prop talk - final obsessive moment

Ok, time to pull the trigger.

As you might recall, my A4 runs like a champ, but I can only get 1400 rpms out of the old girl. I'm spinning a 13 x 8 (give or take the pitch - its been worked several times).

I race, but not as much as I used to. The shaft is marked to hide it in the aperture.

I am debating three options. I'm struggling, or should I say, obsessing on this!

option 1 - indigo
    option 2 - CDI
    option 3 - 12 x 7 used prop ($200)

I still plan on racing a little, but it is not as important at this stage. If racing were finished, I'd go indigo in a heartbeat.

Final thoughts before I pull the trigger would be appreciated

Thanks

Chris
  • BunnyPlanet169
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • May 2010

I still plan on racing a little, but it is not as important at this stage. If racing were finished, I'd go indigo in a heartbeat.
    Bingo. Follow the path....
    Jeff

sigpic
    S/V Bunny Planet
    1971 Bristol 29 #169

Comment

• Dave Neptune
      Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
      • Jan 2007

Chris, go with the Indigo and take the rating. The 3 blades you will be rated against are for boats with reduction units (over 90%) and the "fans" they swing are at least double the area (drag) so with the Indigo area comparable to the 12X7 area it is a gain for racing! Been there done that.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• romantic comedy
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2007

I have an Indigo and it works as well as I could expect.
        I laughed when I saw how small it is.

Comment

• BadaBing
          • Jul 2007

My t30 had a 2 blade 12x9 which was to much prop. I forget how low max rpm was but I'm thinking in the 2k range.The prop has a very intimate uncounted with an anchor chain, it survived but when I hauled the boat that fall I decided it needed some work. My local prop shop and I talked about finding the sweet spot for a prop re-grind for my boat-engine. We decided that to allow proper clearance between prop and hull (1"?) The prop should be cut to 10 and the pitch altered to 8. When I picked it up it was 10x7. For whatever reason it made sense at the time. Unfortunately in was then under prop ed. Could hit 2800 but lost about a knot of under power top end.
          Rather then spend anymore time and money on experiments I bought an indigo. I think there "May" be a little room for improvement but overall I am satisfied with the performance. Back when I made the switch to the indigo I saw 2400 if I pushed her in calm waters.
          (On deck) Indigo has made an improvement since I bought my prop which is supposed to be that little extra tweek. But in my case any improvement would really be hard to notice.
          It is a little prop but we scoot along nicely with it. With a fresh clean hull and well tuned engine we have seen, on a pond calm day, 6.8 knots. I haven't replaced my Tach in a few years so I couldn't say what my rpm was on that day
          Last edited by BadaBing; 04-18-2015, 03:22 PM. Reason: typo and Android
          Bill
          1974, Tartan 30, Unchained Melody
          www.CanvasWorks.US

Comment

• Skywalker
            • Jan 2012

Well, thanks as always.

Indigo it is.

Of course, now I'll be arguing with my handicapper at the club! The guys were already pissed at my PHRF rating.

70 plus degrees today. Finishing up the fiberglassing of my new centerboard, scrubbing the bilge, cleaning the water tank, oil change...

then go for a jog, grab a beer...ahhhh.

Somebody please explain to me again why I live in the northeast?

Chris

Comment

• romantic comedy
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2007

Chris, you have to live somewhere. Be glad you have the Sound. I left long island in the 80s, and now live in Florida. It has been 90 plus for the past two weeks, and will continue this way till November. I will be putting my boat away for the summer in two weeks.

Comment

• Skywalker
                • Jan 2012

Really?

I've often thought about moving south. Wind dies during the summer I'm guessing.

I just like being outdoors so much that the long, grey winters on the Island discourage me.

Comment

• Borrowed Time
                  • Nov 2011

My new Indigo Prop

Hi Skywalker.

I've been a lurker on this forum for years and never posted anything, but have found it to be an invaluable resource and have done much much work on my A4 with the help and guidance from Moyer Marine and all the Afourians on this board, so here goes.

I recently purchased an Indigo prop for my Newport 27 and love the way it pushes my boat with so little vibration. A while back my diver notified me that the 12x8 two blade prop on my boat was pitted and had a few small chunks missing from the leading edges that was likely causing some vibration. Electrolysis damage was the official diagnosis. We won't discuss how this same diving service has been cleaning my bottom monthly and changing zincs for the past seven years Anyway, this being my first boat, I had no idea that all that rattling and shaking under power was not normal, I expect it got gradually worse over the years I've owned this boat. So I put the prop on my to do list and started looking for a new one. I spoke to a guy at a local prop shop who told me I would have a tough time finding a new or used replacement to fit my boat/motor but that he could build me a new one for about $500!!! A few searches through this forum's threads on prop's and the Indigo site convinced me to pay Tom's now reasonable price and give it a try.

When I hauled out for bottom paint last month, I tackled a new rear main seal on my A4 (thanks Don for the video on this job!), and also replaced the 12x8 2 blade with Indigo's 10x7.4 3 blade prop. When splashed, I found Tom's claims about performance of his new blade to be true. In flat water with little to no wind, the boat now zips along at 6.2 + knots at 2400 or so RPM, where before, I would do well to get 1900 RPM and 5.5 or so knots.

About the only thing I have noted that is a bit of a challenge is that the Indigo prop puts a lot more pressure on the spade rudder, so that hanging on to the wheel can be a struggle at wide open throttle. That said, I am very pleased with the Indigo prop and would encourage you to go ahead with it.
                  Chris
                  Borrowed Time
                  1974 Newport 27 with Original "Atomic" Power
                  Los Angeles, California

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Mar 2010

Originally posted by romantic comedy View Post
                    Chris, you have to live somewhere. Be glad you have the Sound. I left long island in the 80s, and now live in Florida. It has been 90 plus for the past two weeks, and will continue this way till November. I will be putting my boat away for the summer in two weeks.
                    You could cruise on up here for the summer with the snow birds.

Comment

• BadaBing
                      • Jul 2007

[QUOTE=Borrowed Time;90477]Hi Skywalker.

I've been a lurker on this forum for years and never posted anything, but have found it to be an invaluable resource and have done much much work on my A4 with the help and guidance from Moyer Marine and all the Afourians on this board, so here goes.

QUOTE]

Welcome to the other side of communication
                      WE look forward to hearing more from you.
                      Bill
                      1974, Tartan 30, Unchained Melody
                      www.CanvasWorks.US

Comment

• Skywalker
                        • Jan 2012

Thanks to all you lurkers!!

I guess I just needed that final push to no worry about the fractional increase in drag.

One of my favorite movies is Scent of a Woman with Pacino. I love the final scene when he says something like "I always knew the right thing to do, without exception I knew, but I never took it, because it was too damned hard!"

Thanks

Chris

Comment

• romantic comedy
                          Afourian MVP
                          • May 2007

Skywalker, in the summer the wind is light mostly, except when it is thunder and lightning. Come to florida in the summer, and see how you like it. Many people love the heat. I went sailing today. Great day, 15 knots S SW, 90 degrees and mostly sunny.

Hanley, I keep threatening to go North every summer. Wife works, and I am retired. Feel to guilty to go. I do sail with a buddy on the Chesapeake sometimes.

Comment

• Skywalker
                            • Jan 2012

I think I would like the heat. I've always enjoyed those "dog days of summer".

Long Island Sound has light summer winds. We struggle through most of August to get our club's Thursday night races off. 5 -10 kts is typical.

Maybe it's time for a summer vacation in the Sunshine State.

Chris

Comment

• romantic comedy
                              Afourian MVP
                              • May 2007

Chris, it also depends on where you live in Fl. It is very hot all summer, but in the winter it gets cooler in the Northern parts. I live in SW florida, and it stays hot.

Take a trip here and see if you like it. East coast vs West coast? Then there is the Keys.

Comment

Working...
                              X