Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Troubleshooting

#1   IP: 68.50.115.8
Old 05-30-2011, 04:30 PM

No oil Pressure Reading

Hi all -- Late model A-4 that ran fine last year with steady 40 lbs oil pressure at cruise. This spring, when recommissioning, engine started up fine but had very low oil pressure reading with original oil pressure gauge. Yesterday, when starting, oil pressure reading was normal but then dropped bask to almost "0" and stayed there. So, today, I installed a new oil pressure sending unit and gauge from MMI, and had the same disappointing results. When I turned on the ignition key, the needle flickered but did not move further when the engine was started. And, I have verified that the engine has adequate oil. At this point, my next (and last step) is to run a wire directly from the sender to the gauge and see what happens.

I would really appreciate any and all advice on what to do to try to resolve this problem, including your thoughts on whether I am facing a engine rebuild or replacement.

I may have reached the limit of my do-it-myself ability. So, any recommendations for an Annapolis MD area A-4 mechanic also would be appreciated. Thanks
Steve
  #2   IP: 173.166.26.241
Old 05-30-2011, 08:18 PM
Afourian MVP

Talking

Try taking the oil sender unit off the block and cranking without ignition. See if you get a good flow out of the hole.
  #3   IP: 68.50.115.8
Old 05-31-2011, 02:12 PM

Oil pressure problem

Thanks very much for your quick and to the point suggestion. Very little oil flow out of the opening and there was a sound resembling broken glass from inside the engine when I turned it over. I removed the oil pressure regulating screw and didn't see a ball and spring (the screw had a protrusion at one end) and I didn't know how to determine whether the spring and ball might still be in the engine because I can't see into its hole. Any next steps?
Steve
  #4   IP: 206.125.176.3
Old 05-31-2011, 02:39 PM
Afourian MVP

Steve, if your 'regulator' has a point on one end it is the older style which is highly coveted. I think it seats directly and eliminates the ball (or rather the ball/spring/bolt mechanism was introduced later & some people feel it is an inferior design.)

Here is a pic of Moyer's kit:

Sorry you don't have oil pressure..I'd be worrying about damaging the engine at this point with further running..it sounds like the gauge is probably working just fine. I don't have much solution for that..'broken glass' doesn't sound promising. Maybe a spun bearing or something.
"Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
"Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic3231_6.gif

Last edited by sastanley; 05-31-2011 at 02:50 PM.
  #5   IP: 173.166.26.241
Old 05-31-2011, 03:12 PM
Afourian MVP

Talking

There is a possibility someting is wrong with the regulating device. If so it would be good news. Try to get whatever you can out of that oil regulating assembly whether it be ball, cone, spring (perhaps broken?). Have a magnet handy in case you drop someting into the bilge. Post a picture of the results.
  #6   IP: 68.50.115.8
Old 06-01-2011, 05:53 PM

Lack of oil pressure

Well, I removed the oil pressure regulator (see picture) and extracted the spring and ball with a magnet. Don't know if the recess contained washers or any other parts. Two other things -- the oil in the pan is pristine and as clean as when I poured it in from its containers; and I didn't hear the broken glass sound when I started the engine and check the oil pressure (that remained close to "0"). Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Steve
Attached Images

#7   IP: 68.50.115.8
Old 06-01-2011, 05:58 PM

Huge picture

Very sorry for the very large size of the picture. What do I have to do to not repeat this mistake.
Steve
  #8   IP: 173.20.99.40
Old 06-01-2011, 06:24 PM

Steve,
There's a simple procedure in the Moyer Manual that involves inserting a section of brass tubing into the oil pressure adjustment and turning it about so as to knock free any crud. I don't have the manual on me, but someone will chime in on the matter.... Hope all turns out well.
  #9   IP: 173.166.26.241
Old 06-01-2011, 10:15 PM
Afourian MVP

Talking

The ball riding on the end of that spring is what regulates the pressure. If someting is preventing that ball from resting on it's seat the result would be a bypass and "dump" of all your oil pressure. Moyer Marine sells a tool to dress that seat and dislodge any crud that may be on it. The fact that this problem developed suddenly without any apparent mechanical problem suggests a blockage that may be correctable.
  #10   IP: 68.50.115.8
Old 06-01-2011, 10:30 PM

Loss of oil pressure

thanks, again. I will order the tool tomorrow and give it a try. If that doesn't help, is there anything else I can/should do?
Steve
  #11   IP: 173.166.26.241
Old 06-01-2011, 11:05 PM
Afourian MVP

Talking

While you have the ball and spring out of the engine try putting the oil sender back in at the front hole, laying a clean towel under the regulator hole and cranking the engine (no ignition). You might get lucky and something nasty might pop out of that hole.
  #12   IP: 68.50.115.8
Old 06-04-2011, 05:11 PM

No oil pressure

Well, so much for plan A. No oil pressure at all still, so it looks like the engine must come out. I spoke with Will Sibley last night (a very nice man). He thought that the oil pump could be the culprit and I now agree. So, a couple of new questions. How can I determine whether my current head and other components will be suitable for a "short block" rebuilt engine? At a minimum, I plan to use my recent Balmar alternator and my new raw water pump. How can I determine whether I should reuse the current cylinder head, manifold, etc. Secondly, what pieces can I remove from the engine while it is still mounted to lighten it for lifting and removal? Thanks in advance.
Steve
  #13   IP: 173.166.26.245
Old 06-04-2011, 07:01 PM
Afourian MVP

Talking

I think you are getting ahead of yourself here. Wait until you get the engine out and have a look. You may not need a rebuilt engine. OTOH you might but have a look see before ordering anything. Before lifting the engine out of the boat I always take off starter, alternator and manifold with hot section attached. Before starting the disassembly, if you have the time it might be a good idea to pressure test the engine cooling system for 20 psi. If the first test fails, remove the manifold and test it separately. If it passes, become suspicious of the block and/or head.
  #14   IP: 68.50.115.8
Old 06-04-2011, 10:18 PM

No oil pressure

Well, the oil pressure issue forced me to examine and consider the overall condition of the engine -- the side water plate is beginning to leak and there is considerable blow-by. I do appreciate your suggestion to be cautious before over-committing to more than I may really need. Thanks
Steve
  #15   IP: 72.83.115.37
Old 06-05-2011, 04:07 PM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevep View Post
... How can I determine whether my current head and other components will be suitable for a "short block" rebuilt engine? At a minimum, I plan to use my recent Balmar alternator and my new raw water pump. How can I determine whether I should reuse the current cylinder head, manifold, etc.
I recently went the "short block" route from Moyer. They build-up their rebuilds as late-models, even if it's an "early model" block. Assuming you have to go that way (and its not yet clear you will have to), your late-model head, manifold, pump, alternator, and distributor should fit fine.

One "gotcha" to watch out for: There are different styles of accessory drives for the early-models, and the late-models. They differ in the location of the distributor clamp-down hole. On the early-models, it's on the accessory drive; on the late-models, it's on the block. It's possible to end up with an early block, a late accessory drive, and have no place to screw down the distributor clamp (don't ask how I know this!). It's not fatal, merely annoying, as you then have to drill & tap the block to accept the distributor clamp screw. Moyer will do this if you warn them when you order.

#16   IP: 148.170.240.1
Old 06-05-2011, 04:23 PM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Very sorry for the very large size of the picture. What do I have to do to not repeat this mistake.
Steve
Resize and compress the photo before you upload it.

Relentless pursuer of lost causes
  #17   IP: 68.50.115.8
Old 06-06-2011, 06:37 PM

Oil pressure problem

Ed -- thanks very much for that information. It could save me much needless misery.

Today, I successfully removed the starter motor, the alternator, the carb, the exhaust piping, all the hoses, and disconnected the wiring from the engine. I ran into 1 problem -- I removed the 3 visible nuts that I thought held on the manifold but the manifold would not budge. I gently tried a pry bar but still no movement. I even removed the 2 long machine screw that held on the plate below the manifold thinking that might help -- but it didn't.

So, could anyone please advise what else I must do to remove the manifold, and can/should I remove the flywheel cover to lighted the engine even more?
Thanks
Steve
  #18   IP: 38.98.0.2
Old 06-06-2011, 07:05 PM
Afourian MVP

It might take some force, if someone used an adhesive or sealant on the manifold gasket, but those three nuts are all that hold it on.

The plate below the manifold covers the valve stems and springs, which is where you need to get at if you're going to be doing valve work, but there's no need to mess with it to yank the manifold.

Do you need to remove the manifold to get the engine out? If it will fit through the companionway, it seems to me like you've removed enough already.

If you really want to get it off, maybe try a big flat-blade screwdriver or dull chisel in between the manifold and block and tap with a hammer wherever you can get it in there, to separate the gasket. I'm betting someone used a sealant, and it's glued the manifold onto the block.

#19   IP: 38.98.0.2
Old 06-06-2011, 07:08 PM
Afourian MVP

As far as the flywheel cover, you can remove the front plate - if it's a late model, that's just a piece of sheet metal, so you're not saving any real weight there. But if you want to take off the whole cast iron flywheel housing/shroud, which does weigh a few more pounds, you have to take the flywheel off first. That might be more easily done in the shop - it takes some force to loosen those bolts, sort of like taking a wheel off your car.

If you've got the starter, alternator and carb off, and it will fit through the companionway, I would yank the engine and do the rest of the disassembly in the relative comfort of a workshop.

#20   IP: 38.98.0.2
Old 06-06-2011, 07:12 PM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
He thought that the oil pump could be the culprit and I now agree.

I would be very interested to know what could go wrong with that oil pump. It is exceedingly simple and very well-protected. Not saying it's outside the realm of possibilities; just that it would surprise me if the oil pump somehow became verschlampt (to twist a meaning a bit). There's really not much to it and I definitely would be interested to know what could befall it to ruin it.

#21   IP: 68.50.115.8
Old 06-06-2011, 09:49 PM

Oil Pressure woes

Not sure what else it could be. Last week, when the oil pressure problem became obvious, I was behind the engine when I heard what sounded light broken glass when starting and running the engine. Over the next couple of days, the broken glass sound went away but the engine sounded much louder with a lot more than usual mechanical noise.

Thanks for the info re the manifold.
Steve
  #22   IP: 148.170.240.1
Old 06-07-2011, 12:22 AM
Afourian MVP

Interesting... I suppose something could have jammed up and caused one of the gears in the pump to seize or crack or something.

Keep us informed - I definitely am interested to know what's going on...

#23   IP: 173.166.26.241
Old 06-07-2011, 09:53 AM
Afourian MVP

Unhappy

There are a number of possibilities here, none good. If I had to guess I'd say a spun main bearing which would block the oil supply suddenly and completely. This engine needs to be examined internally before further attempts to run it.
  #24   IP: 72.45.14.161
Old 06-07-2011, 12:16 PM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 1,026 Times in 721 Posts
I had an oil pump die on me once. Not an A4 - a Lycoming. Trashed the engine
A friend's Ford Fairlane with a 289 did the same thing. It is by no means common, but it happens.
Attached Images

Last edited by joe_db; 06-07-2011 at 12:18 PM.
  #25   IP: 128.183.140.38
Old 06-07-2011, 02:41 PM
Afourian MVP

Based on the "broken glass" sound that eventually went away, I'd suspect sheared teeth on an oil pump drive gear. Once one tooth goes, every time it comes around, the gear would mis-mesh, and start tearing up the next tooth, producing the noise. Eventually, enough teeth are gone that gear gets no purchase and stops entirely, and the noise (along with the oil pressure) goes away.

Has anyone ever seen this happen on an A4? I had something similar happen on an old American Motors engine. A chipped tooth on a gear ate all the teeth off of the meshing gear.