• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JimPendoley
    • Nov 2011

Mystery Shutdown

Afourians,
    One other angle that another poster mentioned has me thinking-my feul vent is high on the port stern quarter and it absolutely could have let water into my tank. I have a facett pump and I did drain my filter and found no water-but this exact series of symptoms happened to me last year in similar conditions ON THE SAME TACH and at THE SAME ANGLE OF HEEL. It's nerve wracking and how to tell if it was the OPSs or the vent I'm not sure.

I guess water in the tank would be the primary indicator, but the gas ran clear from the bowl. All of which makes me wonder: how do you install a fuel vent so it can't suck in water?

Our list of culprits is now:

low oil and OPSS Shutdown -would this affect the tach via ignition?

Intermittently failing fuel pump with high electrical draw damaging tach

water in the fuel via vent submersion

I'm thinking the tach failure and the lack of water in the fuel bowl eliminates the fuel vent

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
      Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
      • Nov 2008

The Best Place For The Fuel Tank Vent

Through or at the stern of the boat on the centerline as high as possible.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• edwardc
        Afourian MVP
        • Aug 2009

Originally posted by JOHN COOKSON View Post
        Through or at the stern of the boat on the centerline as high as possible.

TRUE GRIT
        That's where mine is.
        @(^.^)@ Ed
        1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
        with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• Marian Claire
          Afourian MVP
          • Aug 2007

Jim: Do you have a oil pressure gauge? I believe the OPSS kicks in/off at about 5 or 6 psi. Dan S/V Marian Claire

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
            Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
            • Nov 2008

No More Wracking Of Nerves

Originally posted by JimPendoley View Post
            It's nerve wracking and how to tell if it was the OPSs or the vent I'm not sure.
            Jim
            As you know the easy way to diagnose a blocked fuel tank vent is to loosen the fuel fill cap so the tank can pull air in that way.

As Dan suggested watch the oil pressure gauge to diagnose low oil pressure. The spec on the Moyer OPSS is 6 +or- 2 PSI. You can temporally short across or bypass the OPSS if it is suspect.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• lat 64
              Afourian MVP
              • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Marian Claire View Post
              Jim: Do you have a oil pressure gauge? I believe the OPSS kicks in/off at about 5 or 6 psi. Dan S/V Marian Claire
              Aha!

Glad you made it back. To think the forum helped is kinda cool. Maybe we should have a new area for "help, get me home" Do you use some kindof 3g connection?

It can be frustrating not getting a clear diagnosis.
              I think Dan has hit upon getting repeatable evidence of failure. I guess you could hook up a gauge, then get a friend to go out with you and monitor it as you bury the rail on a reach and see if you can get the engine to shut down. Could be fun.

Russ
              sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

• JimPendoley
                • Nov 2011

Mystery shutdown

Russ, i have a broadband mobile 3g card for the laptop. i live aboard and can't seem to live with out access-kind of lame when you like to sail to remote places, but it came in pretty handy this time.

Comment

Working...
                X