X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nyvoyager
    • Jun 2012

Part exchange from late to early A4

I just picked up a early model A4 supposedly completely rebuilt with zero hours on it.
    I removed all the parts from my A4 thinking many are interchangeable but now I am not sure.
    So please indulge me.
    Waterpump: will the new MMI Pump fit the early model?
    Head: I think moving the late head to early work?...with late gasket?
    Distributor: same question. Will my late dizzy replace early?
    And finally the carb.
    So in short will my much newer parts work on a early A4.
    Thanks guys
  • Marian Claire
    Afourian MVP
    • Aug 2007

Some quick thoughts.
    Water pump: Parts description says it should fit. I have had several different pumps on my early A-4 with no issues fitting.
    Head: A difference I saw in the late and early head is that two of the small holes in the late head were blocked. I simply drilled out the "plug" to match the flow of the early style. I fabricated a cover to close the late T-stat opening and opened the port for the crossover tube. I have never had to use this modified head so who knows??
    Distributor: Space may be an issue as the late is larger. Also the hold down bracket is different and needs to be addressed.
    Carb: The early does not have a external scavenge tube so the port in the late manifold will have to be blocked. How your linkage and slash tube are set up needs to be looked at and possibly modified.

Dan
    S/V Marian Claire

Comment

• nyvoyager
      • Jun 2012

Thanks for the info.
      I am thinking since it has a MMI Manifold, it should accept the new carb.

Comment

• Sam
        Afourian MVP
        • Apr 2010

Agree with above, pump is interchangeable, carb is different, dizzy will work with modified hold down clamp sold by Moyer - $15-20 if I remember right, thermostat setup is different [early model is Dole] as is the cooling routing [usually no by pass].

Comment

• nyvoyager
          • Jun 2012

Thanks again!
          I'm going to need to get familiar with the cooling system as it appears incomplete. I don't see a thermostat anywhere and the hose from the output side of the water jacket is capped off.

Comment

• Marian Claire
            Afourian MVP
            • Aug 2007

No telling what modifications have been done to the cooling system. I went thru the same process when the MC came to me.
            This shows the Dole T-stat housing.

Post some pics and we can walk you thru what you have.
            Dan
            S/V Marian Claire

Comment

• nyvoyager
              • Jun 2012

Still driving. I can post some close up photos tomorrow.

Comment

• nyvoyager
                • Jun 2012

Early A4 Install & part exchange

Sorry for the delay. Removed old engine and set new the engine on beds yesterday so I could return the rental truck today. A die grinder took quick care of the 2 engine bolts on the starboard side.
                Here are some pictures of the early A4 and some questions

First: the cooling system appears incomplete. I've read some posts regarding this and am still unclear about what i need to complete it. I'd like to get this done so I can fire it up and see what i have

Second question is the gearbox lever does not seem to go forward (reverse?) Hopefully this is a reversing gear adjustment? I may lift it out again to deal with this.

Third - when lowering the engine i snapped off the brass tube fitting for a oil sensor at the block - what is the best way to remove this? A reverse bit?

Fourth: where can I find a wiring diagram for the starter solenoid?

And finally! Can someone explain the oil port/container associated with the water pump. What kind of oil does this take? Is it not self oiling like the late model engines?
                Attached Files

Comment

• Marian Claire
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Aug 2007

"Can someone explain the oil port/container associated with the water pump?
                  If you are referring to the hinged cover that says "oil", that is the oil fill for the engine. I have found that using a small funnel helps a lot. You have to pour slowly to prevent spilling/overflow due to backup.
                  This is the early oil dipstick. http://www.moyermarineforum.com/foru...&pictureid=613 I see that yours has an extension.
                  #1. This may help http://www.moyermarineforum.com/foru...hlight=cooling
                  That distributor cap looks off. Not making a tight seal???? Remember that if you have to adjust the distributor that the early style has a second screw, sitting horizontally that has to be loosen along with the hold down that you can see in the pic.
                  Dan
                  S/V Marian Claire

Comment

• Marian Claire
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Aug 2007

Is that just a cap/dead end on the hose forward of the water jacket T? If so that is fine, not needed but OK. That means all the water is being sent thru the engine before it exits at the crossover port. Your crossover has been replaced with a tube. All you need is to run a hose from the other, aft, end of the manifold to the wet/dry exhaust fitting and you should be able to test the engine. We can deal with T-stat/re-circulation loop etc later.
                    Dan
                    S/V Marian Claire

Comment

• nyvoyager
                      • Jun 2012

Thanks Dan. Yes agree the cap looks off. I'm told it has electronic ignition. Will remove and sort it out.
                      Ok that's good news regarding the cooling to get this thing running. I am assuming it will run at a low temp.
                      Now for that reversing gear...
                      It's going to be a long weekend

Comment

• Marian Claire
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Aug 2007

The two wires to the distributor say EI. Yes you will run cool/cold. If you need to bring the engine up to temp the simplest way is to place a valve in the hose from the manifold to the wet/dry connection. By slightly closing the valve it reduces the flow and temp will rise. Never close it all the way. This is not a great set up but can be used until you decide how you want your cooling system set up. A infrared thermometer or even a oven thermometer can be used to monitor temp.
                        Dan
                        S/V Marian Claire

Comment

• Sam
                          Afourian MVP
                          • Apr 2010

Only thing I can add is that the flame arrestor on the carb has been modified with copper scavenger tubing from manifold rather than the standard flex tube and a straight up arrestor. The electric facet fuel pump is a good upgrade from the old mechanical pump. The water pump has a grease cap that you fill with any kind of good lithium grease and turn a bit periodically- there is a little spring loaded fitting inside that gets jammed once in a while. I would pull the pump shaft/impellor and examine the impellor - change impellor from Moyer it to be safe. The engine appears to be "smartly" modified - I think it is going to be fine with all the previous info given.

Comment

• Marian Claire
                            Afourian MVP
                            • Aug 2007

"Now for that reversing gear..."
                            Does the lever move at all?
                            Edit: What is that sticking out of the flywheel end of the head? Just below the crossover. Temp sensor??
                            Dan
                            S/V Marian Claire
                            Last edited by Marian Claire; 05-31-2019, 02:26 PM. Reason: More ?s

Comment

• Marian Claire
                              Afourian MVP
                              • Aug 2007

This may help you find your way around your early model. Especially post #3.

Dan
                              S/V Marian Claire

Comment

Working...
                              X