Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > General Interest

#1   IP: 137.200.32.22
Old 12-13-2017, 11:42 AM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 1,026 Times in 721 Posts
Winter 2017/18 Projects

What does everyone have going for this winter?
So far I have - reseal the toerail and mast boot. The mast is done and watertight and the portion of the toerail I did that used to leak is now watertight as well. I am using Capt Dave's Creeping Crack Cure and Flexseal for this.
I am in the middle of refinishing and rewiring the chart table area and setting up the AIS transponder. The various things installed over the years all worked, but the rat's nest of "temporary connections" defied all logic. I planned it out first and am wiring second. I heard a rumor that works better.
The engine runs well and is now winterized for the next couple of months. I have an old OPSS at the aft end that does not work and won't come off because the flats rounded off. I really want that off and might just use a big wrench and brute force the whole thing. Probably add an oil temp sensor there. I was not brave enough to try it earlier because if it broke apart and I couldn't run the engine to winterize it would not be good.
I still need to think about my aborted attempt at FWC. I still have all the stuff, I never got around to FleaBaying it. I might try again with a mechanical pump. I just could never get comfortable with the electrical solution and it awlays seemed right on the edge of overheating if pushed.

NMEA DIAGRAM PROPOSED (the old one looked like the result of two kittens fighting over yarn )
Attached Images

#2   IP: 71.179.226.138
Old 12-13-2017, 01:29 PM

I'm finally installing my tiller pilot after it sitting in a box for a year. I had a friend that owns a machine shop making a special bracket to mount the tiller pilot on the back of the cockpit seat and I guess we're not as good of friends as I thought. I gave him the dwgs last January.... I finally gave up asking and I found an alternative.
Also, based on edwardC's help and recommendation I think I'm going to install a fuel/air mixture gauge. I'm running rich and would like to tune it in better.
Oh, and make curtains, and maybe a dodger and......
1973 Tartan 30 #186
Baltimore, MD
  #3   IP: 137.200.32.22
Old 12-13-2017, 01:42 PM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldlaxer1 View Post
I'm finally installing my tiller pilot after it sitting in a box for a year. I had a friend that owns a machine shop making a special bracket to mount the tiller pilot on the back of the cockpit seat and I guess we're not as good of friends as I thought. I gave him the dwgs last January.... I finally gave up asking and I found an alternative.
Also, based on edwardC's help and recommendation I think I'm going to install a fuel/air mixture gauge. I'm running rich and would like to tune it in better.
The O2 sensor project would be so cool
I need to get up the courage to drill a hole in my manifold or at least take it to a machine shop. The $$$ wideband ones would be triple-cool.
  #4   IP: 73.129.213.235
Old 12-13-2017, 04:34 PM

Unstep the mast and get her back on the hard,
then, finish recoring the deck, thread new, longer main halyard, drill an indentation back in my prop shaft for the set screw in the transmission flange, make interior and cockpit cushions with the fabric we have, install a heater,probably alcohol, gas stove and stovepipe with ventilation fan. Install tankless water heater sitting in the vee berth.

Repair stainless edging that was bent and distorted by bumping up against the piling in the slip, they may possibly be replaced with teak.

James
  #5   IP: 97.64.155.202
Old 12-13-2017, 05:49 PM

Well, I'm new to this forum, but I think I have the Holy Grail of winter project: I'm picking up a 1974 Newport 27 Friday and bringing it back to my shop for a complete retrofit/rework. So I have several weeks of evaluation ahead before building a Gantt chart for the project.

To be honest, I'm a bit scared. The wife bought the dang thing over the internet without letting me see it first. The only things I have going for me right now are it wasn't expensive, it was a yard repo from a reputable boat yard, and The hull looked good and sounded solid when tapped with a nylon mallet.

I went to see it last Saturday to evaluate what I needed in way of blocking and tie down supplies to transport it back to my shop (did I mention it doesn't come with a trailer, just a cradle?) and was pleasantly surprised at what I saw. I'm in no way delusional about the potential amount of work there could be, I've done other restorations, but I'm more optimistic than I was when she first told me she bought it.

I do have a HUGE advantage when it comes to taking on this project: I have a 34,000 industrial building with a 10-ton bridge crane. That means I can move my puny +/-6000# Newport around the shop easily, even though I don't have a trailer for it yet. I'm tossed as to whether to buy a used trailer and modify to my craft or build a custom trailer from scratch. Any input here would be greatly appreciated.

Here's a couple of pics (sorry, only port side and one of the messy interior)

#6   IP: 71.38.68.214
Old 12-13-2017, 07:59 PM
Afourian MVP

For those with a real boat yard or haul out facility, this will be ho-hum...

Finally, after years of wishing and planning…
She’s finally on the hard.

We don't have any facility here for hauling out sailboats.
You're on your own.
I don't have a trailer but my slip neighbor has loaned me his to accommodate doing my projects.

Project goals: New Thru Hulls, fix KEEL/HULL JOINT hairline crack, new BOTTOM PAINT and new BOOT STRIPE.
I’m replacing all THRU HULLS with new Bronze Groco parts all around.
I'm also adding a new THRU HULL for a Marine Air Conditioner.
The biggest improvement will be changing out the 1/2 inch Engine water intake thru hull with a 3/4 inch.
The old thru hull intake was allowing minimal inflow vs the new thru hull (¾") which is more than double the size.
(See pics)
Attached Images

'Lone Ranger'

1978 RANGER 30
  #7   IP: 71.38.68.214
Old 12-13-2017, 08:09 PM
Afourian MVP

Keel/Hull joint crack repaired with West System G-Flex and the entire keel barrier coated (5 coats) before bottom painting.
The C-30 guys with the "Catalina Smile" will know this repair well.
New THRU HULLS installed with backing plates.
Attached Images

'Lone Ranger'

1978 RANGER 30
  #8   IP: 71.38.68.214
Old 12-13-2017, 08:16 PM
Afourian MVP

After 10 days of scraping, sanding, and prep...
I'm in the last phase of the project.
Just need the final coat on the boot stripe and hook up the hoses to the new thru hulls/seacocks.
Then "splash down"!
Attached Images

'Lone Ranger'

1978 RANGER 30
  #9   IP: 71.178.87.110
Old 12-13-2017, 08:54 PM
Afourian MVP

Jerry looking great. That is some trailer too!
"Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
"Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic3231_6.gif
  #10   IP: 71.208.9.207
Old 12-14-2017, 12:12 AM
Afourian MVP

I am going sailing!

I spent a long hot SW Florida summer rebuilding the rudder, recoring the foredeck and lots of other badly needed maintenance and projects.

I had to hurry and get the boat in the water for Irma. I just need to get a few things back together and off I go...
  #11   IP: 12.219.49.130
Old 12-14-2017, 07:53 AM
Afourian MVP

Lots of ordinary maintenance and:
Take down mast and rewire, new lights, new wind system, new radio antennas
Remove hot water heater
Replace rotted portion of forward most bulkhead
Build / install interior cover for instruments
Refinish exterior teak
Dodger and frame
New mainsail, change reefing system and lazy jackets
New ignition switch, new engine hoses, 12volt outlets
Paint bilge

Here is my attempt to make the boat look dramatic sitting in the boat yard.
Attached Images

#12   IP: 192.186.122.174
Old 12-14-2017, 08:46 AM
Afourian MVP

Feels like I'm in good company with just a "few" projects..

- get Moyer wiring harness kit
- finish up fuel line hose connections (including finishing filter and pressure gauge)
- new chainplate knees and fix/replace all chainplates
- make up/splice Spectra lifelines
- run new halyards
- continue with complete electrical re-wire/dc panel/led lights..
- fiberglass forefoot of keel from previous damage and water intrusion from bilge
- new bilge hoses and pumps
- figure out how to make a furling boom rigid (though looks like PO didn't bother)
- etc etc etc...

- gotta focus on the safety issues so I can launch sometime during the summer
  #13   IP: 24.53.89.131
Old 12-14-2017, 09:42 AM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregH View Post
- gotta focus on the safety issues so I can launch sometime during the summer
To ensure I get the safety issues dealt with, I make my to do lists in a spreadsheet and assign a priority to them - with safety being #1

A quick sort on the list then focuses the mind remarkably.

Replace the bilge pump before getting the new stove I want...

Otherwise, I can get attracted like a moth to a light by those interesting jobs.

Peter
  #14   IP: 71.179.226.138
Old 12-14-2017, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Forgot dyneema lifelines and gates. Currently I don't have gates.
1973 Tartan 30 #186
Baltimore, MD
  #15   IP: 99.30.185.198
Old 12-14-2017, 11:31 AM
Afourian MVP

Jerry, As usual, excellent work on the bottom paint job. Two haul-outs ago I had to deal with the "Catalina Smile" on my boat and the "soft patch" approach has held up well. You mentioned a thru-hull for a marine air-conditioner, which would be a rarity on our types of boats. Can you explain how the system is designed and works. Having spent time at your lake, I can see how it would come in handy.
Tom
  #16   IP: 137.103.82.194
Old 12-14-2017, 12:39 PM
Afourian MVP

I like the bigger engine water intake idea. If I ever do that, I'll move mine to where I can get at it without spending 10 minutes moving stuff and then repeat to put it back.
  #17   IP: 71.38.68.214
Old 12-14-2017, 08:35 PM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatch View Post
...You mentioned a thru-hull for a marine air-conditioner, which would be a rarity on our types of boats. Can you explain how the system is designed and works. Having spent time at your lake, I can see how it would come in handy.
Thanks Tom for the kind compliment.
Repairing the hairline crack was intimidating but the Catalina Fix made the most sense.

I'm down to 2 different AC units. Both are similar.
12,000 BTU
Below is a pic of one of the units.
I'm installing it in the hanging locker, SB side in the forward cabin.
Normally, I wouldn't consider something like this but it will be nice to have AC and even heating on the boat for the desert extreme temps.
(Yes it's both AC and Heat)

Basically a marine AC unit consists of four main components and a refrigerant gas circulating through the system.
The BLOWER draws warm cabin air across the fins on an EVAPORATOR where the heat from the air is transferred to the refrigerant in the evaporator coil.
As the refrigerant evaporates from a liquid into a gas, it absorbs the heat from the cabin air.
The COMPRESSOR then compresses the refrigerant gas and pumps it through the outer tube in the CONDENSER COIL.
A seawater pump circulates cooling seawater through the tube in the condenser coil; this cools the refrigerant and condenses it into a liquid.
The heat from the refrigerant is exchanged to the seawater and discharged overboard.
The liquid refrigerant is then passed through the EVAPORATOR COIL and the entire cycle repeats.

Attached is a drawing of a typical installation.

The reason I installed the new AC Thru Hull is for the cooling water exhaust outflow.

Hope that makes sense...
Attached Images

'Lone Ranger'

1978 RANGER 30

Last edited by roadnsky; 12-15-2017 at 10:04 AM.
  #18   IP: 71.178.87.110
Old 12-14-2017, 09:23 PM
Afourian MVP

Jerry, looks good. I do not have heat pump/A/C on my boat, but my buddy does. We occasionally find it difficult for the raw water pump to prime the cooling loop. This is on a Bene 343..not sure if the pump has to pull too much air and can't prime or not..but at least you can think about the issue while you are contemplating the engineering of the install.
"Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
  #19   IP: 137.200.32.6
Old 12-15-2017, 06:59 AM
Afourian MVP

AC raw water pumps are like the coolant pumps we sometimes use for A4s. They are centrifugal and cannot prime themselves at all. When I did AC installs we made sure the intakes were well underwater. Sometimes we would add bleed valves after the pump to clear air that gets trapped in the hose.
  #20   IP: 192.186.122.174
Old 12-15-2017, 08:58 AM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
To ensure I get the safety issues dealt with, I make my to do lists in a spreadsheet and assign a priority to them - with safety being #1

A quick sort on the list then focuses the mind remarkably.

Replace the bilge pump before getting the new stove I want...

Otherwise, I can get attracted like a moth to a light by those interesting jobs.

Peter
I use an app that lets me rank the items and colour codes them - higher priority always towards the top... but sometimes I deviate just to get something done that looks pretty and a sense of accomplishment for those jobs that "take a while". Gives me a pick-me-up
  #21   IP: 192.186.122.174
Old 12-15-2017, 09:01 AM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Forgot dyneema lifelines and gates. Currently I don't have gates.
I really like using the Johnson hardware for Dyneema/Spectra lifelines.
The Following User Says Thank You to GregH For This Useful Post:
sastanley (12-15-2017)
  #22   IP: 71.179.226.138
Old 12-15-2017, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregH View Post
I really like using the Johnson hardware for Dyneema/Spectra lifelines.
I saw them and that convinced me to do the conversion. Because of how my lifelines are laid out I only need two 75.00 gate kits and then the dyneema. Not bad.
1973 Tartan 30 #186
Baltimore, MD
  #23   IP: 71.38.68.214
Old 12-15-2017, 10:01 AM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sastanley View Post
Jerry, looks good. I do not have heat pump/A/C on my boat, but my buddy does. We occasionally find it difficult for the raw water pump to prime the cooling loop. This is on a Bene 343..not sure if the pump has to pull too much air and can't prime or not..but at least you can think about the issue while you are contemplating the engineering of the install.
Thanks Shawn.
I haven't decided yet on which AC unit (it's down to 2) and I expect to do that project right before the summer (May).
I'm planning on having a discussion with a tech and one of my specific areas of interest will be the pump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_db View Post
When I did AC installs we made sure the intakes were well underwater.
If all goes as planned the intake, pump and hose will all be under the waterline right up to the AC intake.
This is one of the pumps I'm looking at...
Attached Images

'Lone Ranger'

1978 RANGER 30
  #24   IP: 71.178.87.110
Old 12-15-2017, 10:25 PM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
I saw them and that convinced me to do the conversion. Because of how my lifelines are laid out I only need two 75.00 gate kits and then the dyneema. Not bad.
John, same here. I added their braces on each side and some eyes and toggles and have been very happy. the best thing is they are always at the Annapolis Boat Show for advice, but they have distributors, so they are not selling/pushing anything. I'll take some pics when I remember.
The Following User Says Thank You to sastanley For This Useful Post:
Oldlaxer1 (12-16-2017)
  #25   IP: 70.58.198.132
Old 12-16-2017, 01:40 AM

I really wanted to truck the boat home to the shop for a couple months intensive project-ing, including new bottom paint, but that's starting to look a little iffy, considering how many urgent projects are calling for attention on the ranch.

May get some starboard-side cabinetry installed this winter. And I've got a whole stack of craigslist treasures to install. Removable inner forestay and extra mast track to rig heavy-weather sails. Watermaker (20 years old, new in box). Sailomat windvane, including relocating the boarding ladder and reconfiguring the pushpit...

But screw it... the stagnant frozen high pressure cell that's been stifling us for weeks is finally blowing away. Supposed to be 40°. I'm going sailing tomorrow!
The Following User Says Thank You to toddster For This Useful Post:
sastanley (12-16-2017)