X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rigspelt
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2008

MMI's exhaust wrap kit was easy to use, with nice instructions although I did learn a couple of tricks. I presume I got it right. It just covered our new hot section (see photo).
    Attached Files
    1974 C&C 27

Comment

• roadnsky
      Afourian MVP
      • Dec 2008

Rigs-
      It looks perfect. (Maybe MMI should post it as a model for the catalog?)

First couple of hours of running it's gonna give off a light smoking and smell.
      I kept mine lightly wetted down a few times while running and it seemed to help it "shrink to fit" as well as help with the smoking.
      I still vote that it's the best stuff for the hot section wrapping...
      -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
      sigpic
      1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• dvd
        • Dec 2008

I've never heard anyone having to put exhaust wrap on. I assume you dont need to if you are raw water cooled? Am I missing something because my A-4 doesn't have any.

DVD

Comment

• roadnsky
          Afourian MVP
          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by dvd View Post
          I've never heard anyone having to put exhaust wrap on. I assume you dont need to if you are raw water cooled? Am I missing something because my A-4 doesn't have any
          Hmmm, really? This is the first I've heard of someone NOT putting it on...

The wrap goes around the pipe on the HOT SECTION of your exhaust where it leaves the manifold up to the hose going into your water lift muffler (see photo)
          You can certainly not put it on the pipe, but man that pipe's gonna be HOT!

-Jerry
          Attached Files
          Last edited by roadnsky; 05-30-2011, 01:36 PM.
          -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
          sigpic
          1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• MikeB.330
            • Jun 2006

Now that's Purdy...

Comment

• Concord
              • Jun 2008

Heat Wrap - JC Whitney

JC Whitney has exhaust wrap at a reasonable price. The first link has a lot of options (width and length).

Explore JC Whitney for premium auto parts & accessories, dive into car culture, & stay updated with the latest automotive events & tech trends

Explore JC Whitney for premium auto parts & accessories, dive into car culture, & stay updated with the latest automotive events & tech trends

Comment

• nreeves
                • Oct 2010

I was out for my first good run to test everything for the season and I noticed that the the wrap material was smoking slightly. I dropped the load and monitored for a while, but it continued to smoke. Is it possible for this to happen when the material to do this with age? The wrap does not look that old. At first, I thought it could be some moisture on the wrap, but after two 30 minute trips, you would think it would dry out. All temp and oil pressure all look good.

Note: I added a electric fuel puml and a oil temp and pressure switch. Everything seems to be running smooth, but I do like smoking things in my engine compartment. Any ideas?

- do you think it is just the wrap?
                - is there any other part of the cooling system that may not be cooling properly to cause this to hest unto this degree?

Thanks!

Comment

• roadnsky
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Dec 2008

IF the wrap is new it will smoke.
                  Do you know WHEN it was installed? Condition of your hot section?

Keep the engine compartment well ventilated and the wrap will stop cooking/smoking in about 2-3 engine hours.
                  -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
                  sigpic
                  1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• Baltimore Sailor
                    Afourian MVP
                    • May 2007

Originally posted by roadnsky View Post
                    Chances are VERY high.
                    My slip neighbor just replaced his original wrap (circa 1971) and it was old asbestos.
                    Maybe someone else can give you suggestions of how to handle and clean up the mess...
                    -Jerry
                    My old wrap was probably asbestos. I took it off, threw it in the trash and washed my hands real well.

Asbestos is a naturally occurring mineral. If one worked around it a lot to the point where one could inhale the mineral fibers over a long period of time, you might want to wear a dust mask. But the amount you'll pull off your hot section and the length of time you'll be around it are inconsequential to any health issues. It's not poisonous and it's not radioactive.

Comment

• joe_db
                      Afourian MVP
                      • May 2009

I did delivery work for a law firm suing Baltimore area shipyards for asbestos related illness once as a summer job back in the 80s. It is NASTY stuff, especially if you smoke. Working with asbestos + smoking =

Originally posted by Baltimore Sailor View Post
                      My old wrap was probably asbestos. I took it off, threw it in the trash and washed my hands real well.

Asbestos is a naturally occurring mineral. If one worked around it a lot to the point where one could inhale the mineral fibers over a long period of time, you might want to wear a dust mask. But the amount you'll pull off your hot section and the length of time you'll be around it are inconsequential to any health issues. It's not poisonous and it's not radioactive.
                      Joe Della Barba
                      Coquina
                      C&C 35 MK I
                      Maryland USA

Comment

• ndutton
                        Afourian MVP
                        • May 2009

The dear wife of a cruising friend was lost to the cancer caused by asbestos a couple of years ago. The belief is she came in contact with it as a result of handling/laundering her husband's contaminated work clothes, a 'secondary smoke' exposure for sure.
                        Neil
                        1977 Catalina 30
                        San Pedro, California
                        prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                        Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Baltimore Sailor
                          Afourian MVP
                          • May 2007

Originally posted by joe_db View Post
                          I did delivery work for a law firm suing Baltimore area shipyards for asbestos related illness once as a summer job back in the 80s. It is NASTY stuff, especially if you smoke. Working with asbestos + smoking =
                          Yes, but "working with asbestos" does not equal "taking 10 feet of asbestos wrap off your hot section once in your life."

You don't need special clean-up procedures if you're working on your boat. Just bag it and trash it.

Comment

• Baltimore Sailor
                            Afourian MVP
                            • May 2007

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
                            The dear wife of a cruising friend was lost to the cancer caused by asbestos a couple of years ago. The belief is she came in contact with it as a result of handling/laundering her husband's contaminated work clothes, a 'secondary smoke' exposure for sure.
                            But that's not the same as a one-time removal of a few feet of asbestos wrap out of your boat. Let's not confuse a one-time exposure to something with a career of working around it.

Comment

• ndutton
                              Afourian MVP
                              • May 2009

I didn't mean to equate the two. What will minimize any exposure though is to wet the wrap before handling it. The moisture keeps the fibers from becoming airborne. A decent respirator would be prudent too. A particle mask is better than nothing.

It's true that repeated exposure greatly increases the risk as does a lifetime of smoking. Further, I understand that asbestos comes in a wide range of microscopic fiber lengths and only one particular length is known to cause the problem. And different people have different susceptibilities. (Whew, six syllables!) There's also about a 20 year latency period before health problems emerge.

Why would I be interested in such things? My tenure in the boatbuilding industry included working with open sacks of powdered asbestos. Every physical exam includes a chest X-ray for this reason. My last exposure was 39 years ago so it looks like I beat the grim reaper. I have lost work friends from those days to it though. Last one I knew of was in 1992, fitting the 20 year model.
                              Neil
                              1977 Catalina 30
                              San Pedro, California
                              prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                              Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• ILikeRust
                                Afourian MVP
                                • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Baltimore Sailor View Post
                                But that's not the same as a one-time removal of a few feet of asbestos wrap out of your boat. Let's not confuse a one-time exposure to something with a career of working around it.

Quite likely not a "one-time" exposure. By pulling off that wrap, unless you used wet methods (e.g., a glove bag and surfactant), you quite likely caused a fiber release. The pipe wrap is gone, but asbestos fibers quite likely remain behind.

Although the well-known studies regarding asbestos exposure and rates of asbestosis and mesothelioma were based on shipyard workers and boilermakers exposed to the stuff for decades, there is a theory that all it takes is a single fiber.

I agree that a one-time removal of 10 feet of pipe wrap is very different from working with raw asbestos for 30 years, but I also would not downplay its hazards. Nor would I simply rip the pipe wrap off and toss it in a trash bag. If the insulation is in good condition, tearing it off in that manner almost certainly will make the situation much worse and actually create an asbestos exposure where there wasn't one before.

Make a solution of dish liquid and water, spray it down well to keep it wet, wear a HEPA filter respirator, and put it directly into heavy plastic bags (6 mil preferred).

Yeah, it's not kryptonite - but it's also not totally harmless and I would not fool around with it lightly.
                                - Bill T.
                                - Richmond, VA

Relentless pursuer of lost causes

Comment

Working...
                                X