Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Owner Discussion Groups > Discussion Groups > Islander

#1   IP: 76.176.11.145
Old 06-12-2007, 10:52 PM

Let's hear from the Islander folks!

Hello all,
I bought my I-36 a little over a year ago. What a wonderful boat! I have been out at least once every week since then, some weeks 2 or 3 times. I have done some upgrades since I bought her. Took out the stove and put in a fridge, keeps the beer cold. There are some decent restaurants next to my slip if I am hungry. When the time comes that I want to cruise, I will put the stove back in. Been through all the teak on the exterior, painting the deck is the next cosmetic item on the list. Had the bottom repainted a month ago, she sure is fast now, not that she wasn't before. I am anxious to hear from others regarding their boat! Please share!
www.betterbmp.com
  #2   IP: 216.57.114.12
Old 08-09-2007, 11:10 AM

Islander Lover #2

I have a 1977 Islander 32 named Someday Lady. I have owned her for almost 2 years now and sail on Lake Champlain in Vt. We have been checking out an I 36 at a nearby marina but the deep keel would limit our use on the lake quite a bit. I have the shoal draft version and it is perfect for the lake. They really out did themselves in the interior beauty of these boats and storage capacity. I get frustrated trying to fill up all the compartments!!! I obviously have the atomic 4 and is great for my mechanically level. Nice talking to another Islander person, N.Murray
  #3   IP: 66.161.32.165
Old 08-09-2007, 01:42 PM

Hey, alright!!! I was beginning to think I was the only one here!! You are right about the deep keel. I get a little worried at low tide myself when the depth sounder reads 6' and that is my draft. Then I remember the transducer is a couple feet under water line, whew. I seem to have most of my storage filled with tools now. My wife is really happy about the lack of tools in the garage now... Thanks for checking in!!
www.betterbmp.com
  #4   IP: 72.130.231.218
Old 10-08-2007, 11:07 PM

Islander 36

Aloha,
I have a beautiful 1975 Islander 36 and really enjoy my boat. I am a liveaboard and find myself staying onboard all day. It is so peaceful and adventurous. I have 10 sails since I purchased her in 2006.
My engine is an Atomic 4 gasoline and currently am having a couple of issues...have a new fuel pump and water/fuel separator filter and the engine still does turn over. I will replace the water/fuel separator filter to see if that was the concern. I have a full tank of gasoline (30 gallons)...this was done after the installation of the fuel pump and water/fuel separator filter.
Any help is appreciated.
Mahalo,
Katie
  #5   IP: 24.32.35.216
Old 09-08-2008, 01:51 AM

enthusiastic islander owner

My wife and I are happy owners of a 1977 I-28. We've had her 2 years, sailing in SF Bay and the Sacramento Delta, from her Brickyard Cove berth in Richmond CA. We repowered a year ago with a Moyer-rebuilt A4. Diehard cruisers, we enjoy exploring haunts around the Bay.
This little cruiser is perfect for a couple, with only an occasional overnight guest. Our one complaint is the limited holding tank capacity. We have a 6 gal waste tank under the forward part of the starboard settee, but it could house a much larger tank, if the proper shape were available.
Any suggestions? Has anyone else tackled this problem?
  #6   IP: 72.224.139.170
Old 11-22-2008, 12:49 PM

I 28 Tundra Down

Just a year ago this weekend a frustrated neighbor sold me his I 28 for $1500.00. I was not looking for a boat, still in the water, with a seized engine, in November on the Maine coast, but the price was right. I got around to hauling it in January and puttered around with it off and on until it had to go back in the water June 1st. I replaced the A-4 with a new Moyer rebuilt. I installed FW cooling and a Racor filter. While I had the old engine out ( I dragged it into the cabin on an angle iron frame using a come-along attached to the compression post) I cleaned and painted the engine space white with a 2 part epoxy, went through the stuffing box, checked all thru hulls and replaced all the hose clamps. I gave the fuel tank a good cleaning. I replaced the control cables installed two new batteries. I rebuilt the original alcohol stove and replaced the head with a Lavac. I added a garboard plug as a safety feature during storage and a flush cockpit drain that has a hose fitting I connect a length of garden hose to during storage. The hose runs into the bilge and if there is a cover failure and the cockpit drains are frozen it empties any water that might accumulate in the cockpit into the bilge where it can drain out via the garboard plug.

Everything else was O.K. It has a good radio and a GPS. I have been "puttering around" with boats for a few decades so all the projects were familiar. The boat is a 1977 and had been in storage for 20 years. The interior is un-worn and the sails are virtually unused. It has both whisker and spinnaker poles and an asymetrical spinnaker. Both head sails are hank on sails. The standing rigging is O.K. The deck gelcoat is crazed but that is normal for a boat of this age that has been stored outside. I have no plans to do anything about that. I do intend to have a new sail cover made this spring.

We only sailed it a few times but I am impressed with this boat's responsive behavior. My plan was to sell it but I am going to keep it for at least one more season. It feels fast, is easy to handle and fun in a stiff breeze. We gunkhole along the Maine coast. We have moorings in Eastport, Seal Harbor and Brunswick, Maine which gives us destinations we can rely on from Canada to Portland. The 5' draft requires a little more attention to the charts and the fin keel with spade rudder are potential problems given all the lobster pots we deal with.

I would not have shopped for this boat but am happy it found me. Tundra Down will be back on its Seal Harbor mooring in May.

George

Last edited by gfatula; 11-22-2008 at 12:55 PM.
  #7   IP: 24.64.223.203
Old 07-21-2009, 11:50 PM

Happy owner of an apparently permanently docked 76I30MKII...grrrr However, I'm sure the Chief engineer will overcome the starting issues eventually, & she will sail once again in the beautiful waters here off Vancouver Island.
  #8   IP: 206.124.136.201
Old 07-22-2009, 03:13 PM

How about Ranger owners?? I've got a post in the Ranger section that has not been looked at in 2 to 3 months. I am sure someone out there owns one??
  #9   IP: 71.118.13.238
Old 07-22-2009, 04:35 PM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

Thanked 1,289 Times in 839 Posts
Thumbs up Islander ??

Hi guys, just thought I would chime in for you here. I have an ole' Ericson 35 , however I thought that you may enjoy a picture of a couple of Islander 36's. One is of my friend the Harbor Master in Emerald Bay Santa Catalina Island (the brown one with an A-4) and the other is of some "kid" sitting on my mooring before returning home from a bit of a trip even in a Islander 36.
Hope this amuses you all!!!!
Zac's dad is an old friend and a past Harbor Master in EB.

Dave Neptune
Attached Images

#10   IP: 12.47.208.34
Old 07-22-2009, 06:26 PM
Afourian MVP

Nice shots. It took me a while to realize that "some kid" is the 17-year-old who just completed a circumnavigation by himself in that I-36. (I was thinking, hey, what's the BFD, Marina del Rey as it says on the side of his boat isn't very far from Catalina....)
  #11   IP: 24.152.140.113
Old 07-22-2009, 07:50 PM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,425 Posts
Islander owners, Ranger, Cal, West Coast O'Day, Columbia, Coronado and Newport owners too, I worked at all these plants in the 70's, might be able to contribute some history/background. PM me if you like and direct me to the proper strings.