• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • roadnsky
    Afourian MVP
    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by capnward View Post
    What I envision is a toggle that lights when it's on, but has a transparent cover to resist accidental switching, and a boot to resist moisture. Does such a thing exist?
    Welllllll...... sorta.
    I have an ignition toggle that lights and is protected from moisture and getting kicked by the cool acrylic cover that came with my MMI panel.
    Attached Files
    -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
    sigpic
    1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• thatch
      Afourian MVP
      • Dec 2009

One item on Jerry's dash, that might otherwise go unnoticed, is his choice to use a vacuum gauge rather than a tach. While a tach will tell you "how fast" you are spinning the engine, a vacuum gauge will tell you "how hard" the engine is working.
      Tom

Comment

• Mo
        Afourian MVP
        • Jun 2007

I have a pull switch for ignition and push button for start. Has worked flawlessly for years now. Don't worry about someone taking the boat at all.

As for security, well I'm fortunate enough to be in a yacht club that is actually on a military base....not much happens here that someone isn't going to see. Theft is not a big issue at all. The club was robbed of things we didn't know went missing a number of years back. I caught the two doing it one evening when I went to check the boat during a storm...apparently they came when they figured no one was around! After the two were charged, the MP's then put surveillance on them. 2 weeks later they found the stash... stolen outboards, fenders etc, you name it in one of the perps garages. We got it all back and both did time. Since then, no issues. I don't lock the boat and most don't...they don't come in our yacht club through he gates or by water without catching someone's attention.
        Mo

"Odyssey"
        1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
        The optimist expects it to change.
        The realist adjusts the sails.
        ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• ndutton
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2009

Re: keyswitch as security, I have zero concerns with my toggle switch ignition. Just to get the engine to run a nogoodnik would have to perform three additional actions and if they figured that out, a fourth to silence the EWDS and get more than 100 yards away.
          Neil
          1977 Catalina 30
          San Pedro, California
          prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
          Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• roadnsky
            Afourian MVP
            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by thatch View Post
            While a tach will tell you "how fast" you are spinning the engine, a vacuum gauge will tell you "how hard" the engine is working.
            Since I like gauges so much I also have a big TACH mounted where the old Depth Gauge used to be.
            Best of both worlds.

Ditto on the security concerns. No issue where I am.
            And, like Neil, you'd have to figure out a couple of other things before you'd even get the engine to start.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by roadnsky; 06-23-2018, 09:43 AM.
            -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
            sigpic
            1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• joe_db
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2009

I think a large used sailboat is about the last thing on the planet anyone wants to steal
              Want to watch something get stolen, park a nice fishing boat with a nice outboard someplace dark and it won't last out the week.
              Joe Della Barba
              Coquina
              C&C 35 MK I
              Maryland USA

Comment

Working...
              X