• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • forcenine
    • Jan 2007

Torque Specs for Altern Bolts?

Dear All,
    Are there torque specs I should use to reinstall the 2 bolts that attach the hinge holding the alternator to the block? A helper removed the whole hinge from the head since the bolt that attaches only the alternator was stripped an not removeable. I'm concerned that the bolts attaching the hinge also serve to keep the head stable and that they might need to be torqued--since I don't own a torque wrench--I'm hoping it's not that crucial.

See pic of the 2 bolts I'm talking about.

Thanks,
    Lisa (Forcenine)
    Attached Files
  • Don Moyer
    • Oct 2004

Lisa,

The alternator bracket should be held on with studs (not bolts). The nuts on the studs have a torque value of 35 foot-pounds, but Universal informed us many years ago that their tests showed that 30 foot-pounds still had plenty of safety margin in cases where one was worried about the integrity of the lower threads of the studs.

Don

Comment

• tenders
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2007

You can get a very inexpensive torque wrench at Harbor Freight.

Harbor Freight buys their top quality tools from the same factories that supply our competitors. We cut out the middleman and pass the savings to you!

If you're doing a full rebuild perhaps you'll want a better tool but for the occasional head stud on an Atomic Four it'll be fine.

Comment

Working...
      X