Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Exhaust System

#26   IP: 174.62.70.212
Old 06-06-2017, 10:40 PM

In case anyone is interested:

With a vise, pipe wrench, and some PB Blaster, I was able to free the exhaust flange from the pipe. No such luck with the water injection part. Has anyone successfully used a standard pipe fitting for this? I don't have room for a significant rise in the pipe between the exhaust manifold and the water injection.. I'm wondering if a wye would be sufficient or if the $47 moyer marine part is necessary.

I'm going to replace all the wet exhaust pvc with proper exhaust hose.

I ordered some seacocks to replace the PVC valves being used as seacocks for the cockpit drains. To do it properly, I will have to wait till we haul the boat but I'm hoping that in the meantime I can remove the pvc valve (tapered thread) from the through hull (straight thread) and replace it with a proper seacock (straight thread) and re-use the seacock to install it properly later.

I met a dockmate that had the same PVC valves installed instead of seacocks. (***) He showed me how the boatyard had repaired it. One was replaced with a proper seacock and backing plate etc.. but one was replaced with a bronze valve. I assume that is tapered thread on the valve to straight thread on the through hull. Is this something done regularly? All the other "seacocks" on my boat are a through hull to a 90 degree bronze fitting etc. I know this is off topic for an engine forum...

Thanks to everyone for your input. It is very valuable and helpful!
  #27   IP: 24.53.90.221
Old 06-07-2017, 06:49 AM
Afourian MVP

Mary,

I have never used a standard "Y" so will leave others to comment on that.

When I re-did my exhaust, I had to have the shop cut some custom lengths of black iron pipe and I asked them to remove the flange and the injection fitting from the old system. They used a welding torch to heat it all up and they had pipe wrenches/vises considerably larger than mine. Took maybe 10 minutes?

I do not think they charged me much for this.

Peter
  #28   IP: 70.186.210.78
Old 06-07-2017, 07:11 AM

If you use a bronze valve with tapered threads, here is what it will look like in a couple of years:
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to Tim For This Useful Post:
mary (06-07-2017)
  #29   IP: 70.186.210.78
Old 06-07-2017, 07:15 AM

And here is what it will look like after you replace the bronze valve with a proper seacock:
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to Tim For This Useful Post:
mary (06-07-2017)
  #30   IP: 98.171.161.182
Old 06-07-2017, 10:27 AM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

Mary
You will be ahead of the game if a black iron wye will work.
When you mix iron pipe and and a brass or bronze injection fitting there are two dissimilar metals in a marine or conducting environment. The iron is the sacrificial metal.

TRUE GRIT
The Following User Says Thank You to JOHN COOKSON For This Useful Post:
mary (06-07-2017)
  #31   IP: 24.152.132.65
Old 06-07-2017, 10:53 AM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,425 Posts
I made my own for both the boat engine and my spare engine. My hot sections are black iron and I drilled and threaded an angled hole at the chosen location, threaded in a 3/8" NPT pipe nipple (no sealant) and welded the joint. These have been reliable for years, no dissimilar metals issues, provides an economy of parts and compact installation. The spare engine arrangement is pictured.

A comment on replacing the thru-hull valve in the water:
This is risky business. Removing the existing valve opens the thru-hull to full flow so you'll need to block it off from outside the hull for this operation. Of greater concern though is threading on the new seacock imparts a torque on the threaded thru-hull that could loosen and spin the thru-hull compromising its seal with the hull. If that happens you'll be hauling out immediately.
Attached Images

prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
Had my hands in a few others

Last edited by ndutton; 06-07-2017 at 12:00 PM.
  #32   IP: 174.62.70.212
Old 06-07-2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Mary,

I have never used a standard "Y" so will leave others to comment on that.

When I re-did my exhaust, I had to have the shop cut some custom lengths of black iron pipe and I asked them to remove the flange and the injection fitting from the old system. They used a welding torch to heat it all up and they had pipe wrenches/vises considerably larger than mine. Took maybe 10 minutes?

I do not think they charged me much for this.

Peter
I put it in a vise, torched it and wrenched it with a pipe wrench. It doesn't want to budge! Thank you for the input, I'll try taking it somewhere.
  #33   IP: 174.62.70.212
Old 06-07-2017, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndutton View Post
I made my own for both the boat engine and my spare engine. My hot sections are black iron and I drilled and threaded an angled hole at the chosen location, threaded in a 3/8" NPT pipe nipple (no sealant) and welded the joint. These have been reliable for years, no dissimilar metals issues, provides an economy of parts and compact installation. The spare engine arrangement is pictured.

A comment on replacing the thru-hull valve in the water:
This is risky business. Removing the existing valve opens the thru-hull to full flow so you'll need to block it off from outside the hull for this operation. Of greater concern though is threading on the new seacock imparts a torque on the threaded thru-hull that could loosen and spin the thru-hull compromising its seal with the hull. If that happens you'll be hauling out immediately.
A friend will be diving and plugging the through-hull while I swap it out. I'm also concerned about torquing the thing and compromising its seal. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks for the photo and description.. I don't have access to a welder, but maybe I can have this made.
  #34   IP: 70.186.210.78
Old 06-07-2017, 01:49 PM

I would not remove the valves with the boat in the water. When I tried to remove the bronze valves from the through hulls the through hulls just spun and the valves would not come off. It turns out the "permanent" bond that 5200 makes is not so permanent, it did not take that much torque to break the bond. I was on the hard, so I just cut the through hulls out and replaced everything.
  #35   IP: 172.58.27.221
Old 06-07-2017, 02:15 PM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,425 Posts
Agree with Tim. I'd stay with the current set up until the boat is hauled, do it once and do it right.
prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
Had my hands in a few others
The Following User Says Thank You to ndutton For This Useful Post:
Dave Neptune (06-07-2017)
  #36   IP: 73.93.155.60
Old 09-11-2017, 05:42 PM

Just an update to this thread..
I bought seacocks to replace the leaking, scary pvc tapered thread valves that someone had installed on the through-hulls.
A diver friend went below and plugged the holes one at a time while I swapped out the pvc for the seacocks.
I was very careful to not disturb the through hull seal and did not have any issues at all.
I wouldn't recommend this to everyone. You may have different results with your current through hull condition and plumbing experience. I've done a lot of plumbing and felt that swapping them out in the water was better than leaving the sketchy PVC on. They will be installed completely when we haul out.